MLV PLAY (mlv_play.mo)

Started by a1ex, October 28, 2013, 12:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

kgv5

Quote from: MA Visuals on November 12, 2013, 03:55:17 AM

- Card spanning doesn't seem to offer much improvement though in past versions I had tested, it had given a much better better improvement in frames that could be recorded.

- A beep when recording begins would be useful

I have the same thoughts.
Card spanning which is one of my favourites features and for now the main reason of switching from raw is not so brilliant as it was at the beginning of mlv development. Back than write speed was reaching 110-116 MB and 2,5k 2,35:1 was continous but unfortunatelly there was no tools for processing. Now we have the tools but speed decreased and it is stopping suddenly not reaching expected frames even close.
I believe that this will be polished in some time, for 5d3 file spanning is a breakthrough feature.
With current build 2,5k 2,35:1 23,976fps gives about 25-35 seconds.
Beep on start is useful, we get used to this with raw_rec and now something is missing.
Thanks
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

MonteNero

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 11, 2013, 05:59:48 PM
did you try it?
the whole effort of the ML crew (in total literally 0,5 full time devlopers) is useless if there is no testing from those who have the setup ;)
The effort of ML's 0.5 full time developer kicks canon's ass though! The playback was the first thing I tested, and it crashes the cam.  If you solve and post it in nightly builds I will be first to try the HDMI playback support!

MonteNero

g3gg0

magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

g3gg0

fixed the HDMI issues hopefully.
can you redownload, update your autoexec.bin and retry?

Danne

Tried the hdmi on a small monitor. Worked very well. Havn,t used the hdmi before with raw or .mlv. Worked well with playback aswell with the file manager both .mlv and raw. filmed for a minute or so but it worked fine.
Had a frozen monitor image two times after fiddlin in menus. THis was NOT during filming. When getting out of liveview and back again the picture came alive again. Had a hard time reproducing the issue though.
My main concern now with .mlv is that I can,t get 25 fps 1080p continuous  all the time like with raw. Maybe when card is getting warm :)
GReat work g3gg0

MA Visuals

Will test tonight on my SmallHD monitor and report back to you.

gary2013

Quote from: a1ex on October 28, 2013, 12:07:15 PM
Added color playback support. If it's too slow, press SET to switch back to grayscale.

Do we need a separate thread for mlv_play.mo?
I get an error message when I try to view an MLV file thru the File Manager on my M cam using Nov 13 version. It says "Failed to get a free buffer." I have to pull battery since it freezes thre cam.

Gary

MonteNero

I will extensively  test the HDMI this days and get back with a report. Can' wait to try  ;D

g3gg0

Quote from: gary2013 on November 15, 2013, 01:52:14 AM
I get an error message when I try to view an MLV file thru the File Manager on my M cam using Nov 13 version. It says "Failed to get a free buffer." I have to pull battery since it freezes thre cam.

didnt try lately.
can you try the current version?

gary2013

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 15, 2013, 09:26:54 AM
didnt try lately.
can you try the current version?
i have the current version ML. is that what you mean? if not, where is the current version you want me to try.

Gary
I found this=
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQ2MOkAZTFHdHJraTVTOEpmNEIwTVlKd0dHVi1ULUE#gid=0

but i don't know how to use all of that. I was expecting a simple mo file to add to my ML modules folder. I always get the daily builds for the M off of http://tl.bot-fly.com/

g3gg0

Quote from: gary2013 on November 15, 2013, 11:14:57 AM
i have the current version ML. is that what you mean? if not, where is the current version you want me to try.

just download the mlv_rec package and use the modules from there

MonteNero

Hi, g3ggo! Here are some results I've got.
1) HDMI playback doesn't crash the camera, but it doesn't display the recorded raw file either. Here is what I get when playback the file with HDMI

There is some strange playback behind the grey bar.
2) Pressing "info" or "loupe" buttons crash the camera while recording raw with HDMI and without.
I used latest ML build 2013-11-16 5d mark III

g3gg0

which camera?
when you rotate the wheel (on top) does the video file change?

gary2013

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 15, 2013, 11:31:08 AM
just download the mlv_rec package and use the modules from there
that is what I have been doing. I always get the no free buffer message. i go to ML File manager, navigate to the MLV file i just shot and then select view. It shows building index and then saving index and goes blank and the error message pops up about not getting a free buffer. The M hangs and i have to pull the battery and reboot.

MonteNero

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 16, 2013, 08:51:40 AM
which camera?
when you rotate the wheel (on top) does the video file change?
5d mark iii. Yes, the video file changes if I scroll the top wheel and the grey bar dissappears but there are strange flickering on the top and bottom of the display, if you take a look at the image I posted above you will see pixels and lines on the top and the bottom of the image. Moreover greyscale playback slows down if viewed with HDMI.

MonteNero

Danne

Strange. I got everything to play just fine on my 5d mark 3 through hdmi. Playback in color. I downloaded the pre-built version from here, http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.0

g3gg0

maybe it depends on the exact resolution.
hdmi playback is slower for reason. the resolution is higher.

MonteNero

Quote from: Danne on November 16, 2013, 09:59:20 AM
Strange. I got everything to play just fine on my 5d mark 3 through hdmi. Playback in color. I downloaded the pre-built version from here, http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.0
Most likely your monitor is cropping the video! I've just tested the HDMI playback on a cheap small field monitor, the monitor has an options of 480p and 1080i. When I watch it in 480p mode the playback is cropped and I don't get the weird pixel flicker on the top and the bottom of the frame. But if I playback with full HD mode it scales it whole video to fit in the screen, and I see the artifacts. So far I tested the HDMI playback on the field monitors Lilliput an TV logic. Moreover I run couple of tests on a broadcast reference monitor set, finally I tested it on my home TV Samsung Smart, every full HD device give this weird flicker. The exception is the Lilliput monitor that crops  the video in a 480p mode. Also I've noticed that the playback with HDMI is a tiny bit slower that in camera playback. So this is it so far. Hope that will be useful for further development.

Danne

Ok, yes, I get the pixel thingy also but I get the color view at least :)

g3gg0

its just some remaining pixel trash on top and bottom bars?
i can imagine where this comes from.

just a appearance-thingy, no functional problem, right?

Danne

exactly, works perfectly fine here.

MA Visuals

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but here's a short iphone video demonstrating the HDMI playback issue others have observed (5D Mark III, SmallHD DP-4)...

On first playback, the no image message blocks the display.  If you switch to another clip using the top dial, it clears up the "No Image" issue but the image remains cut off on the left side and offset.

Also, the playback speed drops dramatically compared to in-camera playback.  You can get a sense of the playback speed in the video example.