thanks for testing
I just tested mlv_rec for a couple hours. I noticed the following on my 5D Mark III and using my SmallHD DP-4 HDMI monitor...
- Playback via HDMI crashes
- Crop mode does not work via HDMI when Memory Hack is enabled. It doesn't crash, it just stops right away. I always need Memory Hack enabled to achieve a usable number of frames for 29.970 or higher framerates.
- Corrupt/Pink frames occur when fps are set to 29.970. I typically get 1 to 2 bad frames on at least half the clips I shot (I shot at least 50 clips). I use 29.970 for at least half my work.
- The good news is that when Canon fps is set to 60p mode, I get no bad frames. I tested both 48fps and 60fps. I guess the last update you released really helped with that.
- 16:9 black framing bars at top and bottom disappear when recording starts. These are the built in canon ones.
- If you set Global Draw to OFF (within raw settings), when you stop recording, global draw stays OFF (even though it show GD is on in ml menu). I needed to reboot camera to restore GD.
- Card spanning doesn't seem to offer much improvement though in past versions I had tested, it had given a much better better improvement in frames that could be recorded.
-The new mlv_play features which link playback to the Canon play button is much appreciated and works well when used without an HDMI monitor attached. Since I have personally committed to using ML raw for many of my profession projects, I cannot stress enough the importance of workable HDMI functionality for professional work. Up to now, I have been using workarounds for issues like playback crashing the camera, by unplugging the monitor to play back footage. It really makes it hard to work this way when on a project. I have thus far resisted switching to the MLV format because performance isn't as good and rec_raw (though improving).
- More performance when shooting 29.970.
- Recording indicator settings to match raw_rec would be great (small recording icon without distracting status verbage).
- A beep when recording begins would be useful
I'm happy to help test MLV on the 5D3 as much as necessary if it helps MLV become a bit more conducive to production work. Thank you for all your efforts g3gg0.