MLV PLAY (mlv_play.mo)

Started by a1ex, October 28, 2013, 12:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 26, 2013, 11:22:14 PM
i added mlv_play.mo to the pre-built binaries.
if you install file_man.mo, you can browse your card's file system and open .mlv and .raw files for playback

Added color playback support. If it's too slow, press SET to switch back to grayscale.

Do we need a separate thread for mlv_play.mo?

g3gg0

cool :)
i would say yes, becuase this thread is already too overloaded.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

RenatoPhoto

Oh yea!!  Color on RAW and MLV payback.  Amazing stuff guys!  Congratulations and thank you for the continued improvements.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

a1ex

Well, somebody needs to suggest a better conversion matrix from raw to yuv (mine is from rgb to yuv, which is not quite correct).

g3gg0

i made a lot of changes to mlv_play:

* when using mlv_rec and RAW recording is enabled, pressing PLAY will automatically start mlv_play
* you now can cycle through all videos using your scroll wheel (on top)
* alternatively you can open the OSD with Q and select < or > to jump to previous or next file
* when pressing INFO, the top bar will toggle

you can download the latest version of mlv_play along with mlv_rec in the mlv_rec thread.
just scroll down to "pre-built" binaries in the main post and download the package.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

1%

Heh, now it needs a delete button the way it works with play...

Andy600

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Danne

g3gg0

good that you like it :)
trying to incorporate the requests stevefal already made and deleting is one of them.
isnt hard to do - just the confirmation dialog is some work.

atm i am playing with color matrices alex has asked for once.
currently the decoder uses raw RGGB, applies some kind of gamma curve and converts it straight to YUV.

a) i am missing white point conversion as RAW is based on 5000K and RGB/YUV on 6500K
b) i am missing the camera specific color matrix

the first one, white point correction is simple. (well, as soon you get the basics and some code to automate that)
but the latter one is kind of problem yet - i always end up with distorted YCbCr data having huge color shifts.
i am sure i missed a *2 somewhere ;)

not sure if it is worth the hassle, as the current implementation from alex performs quite well and looks good.
but still i want to understand how it should be and then we still can decide to use the non-perfect but fast solution.
however, maybe its just a coefficient change to the color matrix RAW->RGB

1%

It looks good in the player.. more or less the color matrix + cam model deal is a problem for raw2dng, etc... hopefully the fix from andy kills bad frame issues on 7D/50D and we'll have meta data finally. If it works I'll move the new status icon into my copy.

I get 86MB/s instant rates which is better than raw_rec but bad frames and LV slowdown every time the meta data is written (I think)... I recall 5DII this was the issue as well :) Then the last problem with MLV is batch tools...

Andy600

Yep. I'm getting up to 86MB/s with mlv_rec on the 50D and no bad frames now. My 50D is shooting reliably upto it's full 2000x1080 px res for more frames than I even need for a shot!! \o/

@g3gg0 - I saw you had the stubs to fix the 60D camera model property. Do you have the ones for the 50D by any chance?  ::)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

Yea, working on 7D... speed drops from the fix but 1728x1152 is usually continuous. Only 1 bad frame, frame 1, who cares

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on November 10, 2013, 08:17:23 PM
Yea, working on 7D... speed drops from the fix but 1728x1152 is usually continuous. Only 1 bad frame, frame 1, who cares

Bingo!  ;D

g3gg0

1%

Yea, a tool like rawanizer that gives you a few preview frames... maybe allows different conversion formats. Although mlv_dump you can add compression I think to finally make some smaller file sizes. If only the source was available :)

Danne

Something like rawmagic for mac ;)
Simply a wish  8)

1%

Hey here is another thought... would frame skipping help in playback?

g3gg0

Quote from: 1% on November 10, 2013, 09:26:57 PM
Yea, a tool like rawanizer that gives you a few preview frames... maybe allows different conversion formats. Although mlv_dump you can add compression I think to finally make some smaller file sizes. If only the source was available :)

did you see http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8447.0 ?

1%

Its nice to preview that way but not when you have a folder of 20 files named MLV_blahblah.mlv

Basically someone needs to make a GUI that lets you add a bunch of MLV files with preview frames + maybe open with MLV play and then converts them in one press to DNG or proxy video with options, esp folder options. Just missing the convenience.. I am going to give MLV a go now that it appears reliable/speedy. Andy said videos look better too when ACR has meta data + cam name.

MonteNero

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 10, 2013, 02:01:11 AM
i made a lot of changes to mlv_play:

* when using mlv_rec and RAW recording is enabled, pressing PLAY will automatically start mlv_play
* you now can cycle through all videos using your scroll wheel (on top)
* alternatively you can open the OSD with Q and select < or > to jump to previous or next file
* when pressing INFO, the top bar will toggle

you can download the latest version of mlv_play along with mlv_rec in the mlv_rec thread.
just scroll down to "pre-built" binaries in the main post and download the package.
Any HDMI playback support? that is most important thing on  set! Now the whole idea of using ML with a crew is useless unles there is HDMI feed to directors monitor, focus puller and DIT monitors.please please can you address this ussue!

g3gg0

Quote from: MonteNero on November 11, 2013, 04:40:41 PM
Any HDMI playback support? that is most important thing on  set! Now the whole idea of using ML with a crew is useless unles there is HDMI feed to directors monitor

did you try it?
the whole effort of the ML crew (in total literally 0,5 full time devlopers) is useless if there is no testing from those who have the setup ;)

MA Visuals

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 11, 2013, 05:59:48 PM
did you try it?
the whole effort of the ML crew (in total literally 0,5 full time devlopers) is useless if there is no testing from those who have the setup ;)

I can confirm that playback always immediately freezes the camera (Error 80) when using an HDMI monitor. 

I have just tested the latest build of MLV and found a few issues issues during my brief tests.

On 5D Mark III (using a SmallHD DP-4 monitor)
- playback via HDMI crashes
- some pink/corrupt frames (I still need to confirm which framerates this occurs most often).
- crop mode does not work via HDMI when Memory Hack is enabled. It doesn't crash, it just stops right away.
- 16:9 black framing bars at top and bottom disappear when recording starts.  These are the built in canon ones.

I will perform more extensive tests tonight and report back to you everything I found.

g3gg0

MA Visuals

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 11, 2013, 09:05:24 PM
thanks for testing

I just tested mlv_rec for a couple hours.  I noticed the following on my 5D Mark III and using my SmallHD DP-4 HDMI monitor...

- Playback via HDMI crashes
- Crop mode does not work via HDMI when Memory Hack is enabled. It doesn't crash, it just stops right away.  I always need Memory Hack enabled to achieve a usable number of frames for 29.970 or higher framerates.
- Corrupt/Pink frames occur when fps are set to 29.970.  I typically get 1 to 2 bad frames on at least half the clips I shot (I shot at least 50 clips).  I use 29.970 for at least half my work.
- The good news is that when Canon fps is set to 60p mode, I get no bad frames.  I tested both 48fps and 60fps.  I guess the last update you released really helped with that.
- 16:9 black framing bars at top and bottom disappear when recording starts.  These are the built in canon ones.
- If you set Global Draw to OFF (within raw settings), when you stop recording, global draw stays OFF (even though it show GD is on in ml menu).  I needed to reboot camera to restore GD.
- Card spanning doesn't seem to offer much improvement though in past versions I had tested, it had given a much better better improvement in frames that could be recorded.
-The new mlv_play features which link playback to the Canon play button is much appreciated and works well when used without an HDMI monitor attached.  Since I have personally committed to using ML raw for many of my profession projects, I cannot stress enough the importance of workable HDMI functionality for professional work.  Up to now, I have been using workarounds for issues like playback crashing the camera, by unplugging the monitor to play back footage.  It really makes it hard to work this way when on a project.  I have thus far resisted switching to the MLV format because performance isn't as good and rec_raw (though improving). 

Wish list
- More performance when shooting 29.970.
- Recording indicator settings to match raw_rec would be great (small recording icon without distracting status verbage).
- A beep when recording begins would be useful

I'm happy to help test MLV on the 5D3 as much as necessary if it helps MLV become a bit more conducive to production work.  Thank you for all your efforts g3gg0.

1%

QuoteI needed to reboot camera to restore GD.

Instead of rebooting, try hitting play. For me it gets stuck off like .02% of the time. 5DIII might be different, EOSM was.