Neat Video Best Denoiser for ML RAW

Started by D.L. Watson, October 28, 2013, 02:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.L. Watson

Hey folks, just wanted to give you a quick look at the differences when using Neat Video on your RAW ML footage. It's a great and powerful noise reduction plugin and in my experience works much better cleaning and preserving details in the shadows than denoiser.

See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

dude

Nice topic!

There are several discussions WHEN to degrain-
It does not make any difference if you denoise before, or after cc, just do the same on each clip! From neatvideo:
Such operations as tonal/color correction are quite conservative from the standpoint of noise, i.e., they do not significantly change the noise characteristics of the video sequence. Therefore, filtering before or after makes little difference – as long as the noise profile is built and applied at the same stage of your workflow. For example, don't use a device noise profile built with an unprocessed (;the color correction is not yet applied) video sequence to filter the same sequence with the color correction applied

Frank7D

I found that sometimes NV can't find a good sample area in my video. Here's what I tried that seems to work well:

Shoot a short clip aimed at a blank area, such as a white posterboard, using the same settings (especially ISO) as you used for the video to be cleaned. Shooting this out of focus worked better for me for whatever reason. Note that shooting with the lens cap on didn't work for me.

Load this blank video the same way you did the video to be cleaned, i.e. same ACR settings or whatever.

Use Neat Video to sample the blank video. Save the profile.

Apply the profile to the video to be cleaned. Adjust NV's sharpening etc. to taste. Save the NV settings if you think you might use them again.

This has gotten me the best results I have seen so far.

jose_ugs

Thanks DL. It's always good to see this type of side-by-side comparison...
A few questions:
- is it the latest, 3.5 version?
- Which NLE?
- Do you NR first or you do that after CC?

avasarin

Hi,
I'm using Neat video since 2 years in AE, and I've just purchase it for Davinci Resolve.
In my color grading workflow I put it after a primary color correction(WB, contrast and saturation), before any qualification. It gives you a very pleasing and smooth color selection.
I normally try to denoise just on the chrominance channel, leaving luminance grain as it is. I'm now able to work in really hard condition at 1250 or 2000 ISO in ML RAW without worrying about video noise.
Neat video is a powerful denoiser, and if you want the best from it the only thing is to try by yourself, as always.
5dmk2 - Nikkor set(20-28-35-50-105mm), Vivitar 85-105 - BMPCC
http://www.frabiatofilm.com
https://www.facebook.com/stringssenzatempo

N/A

I've been using it for a year now, never thought I'd get useable iso 3200 video out of a 600d, but with proper exposure, a good prime, and Neat Video I've gotten some awesome nighttime shots with no additional lighting. And yeah it's great for raw footage too, it even seems to smooth out upscaling artifacts, such as upscaling 960x540 up to 720p, especially when shot in crop mode.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Kharak

ISO was set at 2500 in camera (which turns out to be 3200 analog)

f/stop: 2.8

Lens: 24-70 mm

Pushed the exposure in ACR to +1.00

Minor Curve adjustments in Red and Blue Channel

Neat Video noise reduction

Only one real source of light, a LED light pole positioned about 4-5 meters behind camera and 3-4 meters high.
once you go raw you never go back