Mac workflow app/script for dual_iso and HDR video

Started by jerrykil, October 23, 2013, 11:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerrykil

Hey ppls!
I make some tools for y'alls. I'll make a windows version eventually, but I don't have the time until almost next summer.

Platypus based app for batch converting dual_iso CR2 files. exiftool and dcraw are embedded. It updates with tragiclantern's nightly cr2hdr build so you stay current.
http://tl.bot-fly.com/misc/kit_cr2hdr.zip

this is for batch processing HDR videos. they won't play in quicktime, if you know what codec i can use for quicktime lemme know! read the readme for details
http://tl.bot-fly.com/misc/kit_hdrvideo_v.02.zip
EDIT: v0.03 hasn't been tested yet. let me know if the align_image_stack binary works for you.
comments? questions?

EDIT: also see http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.msg59687#msg59687 for windows tools and another GUI for cr2hdr...

EDIT: Got some updates coming, just waiting for my webhost to come back online

blade

eos400D :: eos650D  :: Sigma 18-200 :: Canon 100mm macro

NateVolk

Stoked on the cr2hdr script!  Trying it now :)  Its awesome not having to try and update the latest builds!

choupique

Have you had success converting  dual-isos off of a 6d. I appreciate the link!

jerrykil

sry, my life is on hold till the end of march. wish me luck on my board exam!!!

cmw

First I want to say thanks for making this! I'm relatively new to ML and still figuring a lot of things out, so I apologize if this question has a simple answer that I'm overlooking haha.  I took a 15 second test shot using the HDR function on my t3i set at 60fps and ISOs 200 and 1600 with my shutter speed set at 1/120. When I brought the footage into my macbook pro and I followed the instructions you provided in the readme text and all seemed to work fine.  I then imported the merged .png files into premiere and once it rendered each clip played at 5 second intervals resulting in just a very long image sequence.  Is there a step in ML or the post-processing stage that I'm doing wrong? Also sorry if I haven't included enough information.  Any help is appreciated thanks!

jbggump

I also want to thank you for this script!  Yesterday, I took this test shot...got a lot of flickering with the dual ISO.  You can see it on the link.  Any thoughts?  Video was shot at 1/30th and 200/3200 dual iso.

As well, when I tried to do multiple videos for the batch process using kit_hdrvideo, I only got one rendered file...not a combined of all of the files I wanted rendered, but just the first one of the bunch.  The app took the time it seemed to render more, but they never showed up. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8843350@N07/13380767944/

I ran it through Red Giant Denoiser II thinking that might help, but no dice.  Did another test...one shot at 1/30 and one at 1/125...no dice either.

Thanks!

jbggump

Just got brand new MK III and same issue as I had above...would love to hear other results. 

One difference is that the processing took forever, much longer (3x-4x) than the footage from the MK II...both set on 1080. 

jerrykil

I'm a poor man w/o a 3D to play with :(
Maybe the frame rate is the difference? What kinda machine are you processing on?

jbggump

It is the frame rate I think...I am fairly new to digital video (did Beta back in the late 90s in college).  I shoot at 29.97fps and with the dual ISO it goes to 14.99fps.  I can't really wrap my head around what to do to make is smooth.  I speed the footage up anywhere from 125% to 200%, but it doesn't seem natural...could just be me though.  Do you have a suggestion?  I did a quick video to show the differences...  200% would seem logical, but it moves faster than real life (but is smooth).

Just dawned on me...do I need to be shooting at 1/60?  I am usually at 1/30...

https://vimeo.com/91710681

Also, I can't get the batch HDR to work.  It only does one file if I have multiple in the folder.

Processing on 2.7 i7 MBP.  16gb ram.

Love the program though - I can sense it will be advancing my work.  Thank you

Jed 

Oliver

Example:

A Image 1 ISO 100
B Image 2 ISO 800
C Image 3 ISO 100
D Image 4 ISO 800
E Image 5 ISO 100
F Image 6 ISO 800

I think what is lacking is a software that produces not just blended images of A and B then C and D, but:

Currently the software does:

New Image 1: A+B
New Image 2: C+D
New Image 3: E+F

This halfs the framerate. What we need is:

Image 1: A+B
Image 2: B+C
Image 3: C+D
Image 4: D+E
Image 5: E+F

As you see we loose only ONE TOTAL Image per Stream, and i guess there is a better blending in between. So in result, the mentioned possibility to overlay the same video with one image shifted, seems to be the best approach, unless there is a special software, that does even more clever in between blending.

Perfect workflow I imagine would be to use Dual Iso with Raw recording, then combine by a script A+B B+C in 14 Bit a.s.o.  as new HDR images and then go on from there i.e. with Resolve.

jerrykil

Wyld Dingo

jerrykil, thanks for your help with this.  We're really depending on you!

david.l.matthews

Hello everyone, I'm a new user of HDR video. I downloaded the "kit_hdrvideo_v.03" to process my HDR videos from this forum. The program was working perfectly until today. I continue to get this error message! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ffmpeg version 2.0.2 Copyright (c) 2000-2013 the FFmpeg developers
  built on Oct  9 2013 10:18:52 with llvm-gcc 4.2.1 (LLVM build 2336.11.00)
  configuration: --prefix=/Volumes/Ramdisk/sw --enable-gpl --enable-pthreads --enable-version3 --enable-libspeex --enable-libvpx --disable-decoder=libvpx --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libx264 --enable-avfilter --enable-libopencore_amrwb --enable-libopencore_amrnb --enable-filters --enable-libgsm --arch=x86_64 --enable-runtime-cpudetect
  libavutil      52. 38.100 / 52. 38.100
  libavcodec     55. 18.102 / 55. 18.102
  libavformat    55. 12.100 / 55. 12.100
  libavdevice    55.  3.100 / 55.  3.100
  libavfilter     3. 79.101 /  3. 79.101
  libswscale      2.  3.100 /  2.  3.100
  libswresample   0. 17.102 /  0. 17.102
  libpostproc    52.  3.100 / 52.  3.100
[NULL @ 0x7ff48a818600] Unable to find a suitable output format for 'HDR-ext.'
HDR-ext.: Invalid argument
logout

[Process completed]

Marc Griffith

Hey jerrykil nice script.

I was just playing with hdrvideo_v.04 and found that the included version of align_image_stack would not run on my system. 10.8.5 with macports and all sorts of crap on it. :

BigAl:bin marcgriffith$ ./align_image_stack
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/gettext/lib/libintl.8.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/marcgriffith/Documents/marcgriffith.net/video ideas/magic lantern/kit_hdrvideo_v.04/Frameworks/libglib-2.0.0.dylib
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap: 5
BigAl:bin marcgriffith$

I had my path setup to run hugin's align_image_stack so I just changed all the references to plain align_image_stack in the script.

Works great now.

Is this script open source ?,  I'd like to adapt it for other uses.

DeafEyeJedi

@Danne's latest app 'cr2hdr-r'
works quite well and is definitely worth checking out!

Thanks @jerrykil for making this possible with @Danne's app as well!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Marc Griffith

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on February 08, 2015, 03:54:14 AM
@Danne's latest app 'cr2hdr-r'
works quite well and is definitely worth checking out!
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13512.0
Yes, that is precisely what I was looking for. Thanks.

awax1978

Hi guys

I've started the command about 2 hours ago (the original mov file is 1GB) and its still nowhere near finished. I've got a pretty decent iMac. Anyone else experiencing such long times?

Walter Schulz

"Pretty decent iMac" doesn't tell specs. Please do so.

Danne

1 gb of h.264 .mov will take a while. However except for photomatix this probably is the fastest way of transcoding thanks to Jerrykils multithreading workflow.

classicbs

Amazing, I wish A1ex would have added add this to the description in the original thread.  Many thanks

5Dme

Can anyone help me. I shot some HDR video using ML on my 5D mark III, then ran it through kit_hdrvideo_v03 of which I love! And just for the record it was very fast!

The problem I have is that when it was finished processing the new clip it was very choppy. Here's a link to the clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWjSE34JALs&feature=youtu.be

I have no idea why the clip is choppy, any help would be very very welcome!!!
EOS 5D III | EOS 5D II - Lenses 24-105mm f/4 + 70-200mm f/2.8 + 50mm f/1.4... Experience with Lightroom + Photoshop + FCP X + Premier Pro

Danne

did you shoot at 24, 25 or 30 fps? The script creates sequences which will half the fps so 48, 50 or 60 fps is advisable if you don,t want to interpolate in post.

5Dme

I shot it at 23.98fps. Does this mean that all the footage I shot at this frame rate it ruined?
EOS 5D III | EOS 5D II - Lenses 24-105mm f/4 + 70-200mm f/2.8 + 50mm f/1.4... Experience with Lightroom + Photoshop + FCP X + Premier Pro

Walter Schulz

5Dme

Would Twixtor solve the choppy footage or am I to late to do anything with that footage?

Walter Schulz

5Dme

DeafEyeJedi

Twixtor may help save the footage but it is always recommended to shoot in high fps such as 48, 50 or 60 as @Danne suggested.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

5Dme

I tried Twixtor, and it didn't work! Anyone have any other suggestions as I've shot footage that can't be re-shot so I'm really stuck!

5Dme

QuoteTwixtor may help save the footage but it is always recommended to shoot in high fps such as 48, 50 or 60 as @Danne suggested.

DeafEyeJedi, I've leaned something today! From now on I know to shoot at higher fps when shooting HDR. Every day is a school day... Thanks!

Danne

If you work batches or want to try hdr in raw/mlv you could try cr2hdr-r which utilizes jerrykils script and also adds abilty to use 3d luts and other things.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13512.0

5Dme

Maestroxeta

Helo, I can't download the links, this appears to me:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /misc/kit_hdrvideo_v.03.zip on this server.
     Apache/2.4.10 (Debian) Server at bot-fly.com Port 80

I´ll be glad if someone could help me. :)