How are you processing your Raw footage?

Started by ilia, October 20, 2013, 05:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilia

I recently switched my workflow from After Effects(ACR) to Davinci Resolve 10.  The speed of rendering proxies and the ability to relink and grade the Raw files in Resolve is so much more practical and powerful. What is your preference and why?

dude

raw-dng, open via acr in ae. do proxys in ae, safe projekt.
open premiere, import ae sequence.
now you have 16 bit Video in premiere, easy to edit because of the proxies. if you re done, just click next to the proxys in ae to uncheck them for full resolution and bitrate in premiere.
that s the easiest workflow i figured out so far

arrinkiiii

I have doing with ACR in after effects and then making the proxy's and edit there, in ae. But im going to try the dude workflow and use premiere, import ae sequence.

I would like to try resolve, yesterday i have install it but need more time to understand it... for working with a good flow.

vikado

Quote from: dude on October 20, 2013, 01:57:49 PM
raw-dng, open via acr in ae. do proxys in ae, safe projekt.
open premiere, import ae sequence.
now you have 16 bit Video in premiere, easy to edit because of the proxies. if you re done, just click next to the proxys in ae to uncheck them for full resolution and bitrate in premiere.
that s the easiest workflow i figured out so far
is this the same workflow you're talking about?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTyl7t0DdQs

5d2 user

Malcolm Debono

I'm round-tripping between Resolve and Premiere (create proxies through Resolve, create rough cut in Premiere, re-link and colour in Resolve, do final corrections, sound mixing etc. in Premiere) as in the following tutorial:

Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

vikado

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on October 20, 2013, 11:36:23 PM
I'm round-tripping between Resolve and Premiere (create proxies through Resolve, create rough cut in Premiere, re-link and colour in Resolve, do final corrections, sound mixing etc. in Premiere) as in the following tutorial:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jASBwVSOlXk/youtube]

i actually prefer this workflow too, but when i import footage into resolve, i get hot/dead pixels.
but when i import that same footage into After effects/ACR. those hot/dead pixels are gone.
how are you handling dead pixels in that workflow?
5d2 user

guilhermemartins

I see a lot of people using resolve, how do you handle your noise reduction? On ACR I get
Useful NR before exporting to tiff and rendering an image sequence to prores or whatever codec I wanna work.

Plus, has anybody experimented with ACR scaling in Photoshop? I usually find it best to export a 3k+ tiff and than downscale to 1080p.
I have been using ML for all my production company`s jobs since the release of 2.3. most of them available at.
www.mariachisaudiovisual.com.br

ilia

I too am getting more hot/dead pixels after importing into Resolve. Hopefully this will be fixed in a future update.

arrinkiiii

This hot/dead pixels is with resolve 10 lite ??

dude

Quote from: vikado on October 20, 2013, 10:57:12 PM
is this the same workflow you're talking about?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTyl7t0DdQs

No, seems more complicated in this video.
First, check what Andrew says about Proxies: http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/proxies_and_workflow_tips/
i have the original dng sequence opened in ae, creating proxies for it, which i can toggle on and of in the explorer.
than open premiere, import ae sequence.

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: vikado on October 21, 2013, 12:09:27 AM
i actually prefer this workflow too, but when i import footage into resolve, i get hot/dead pixels.
but when i import that same footage into After effects/ACR. those hot/dead pixels are gone.
how are you handling dead pixels in that workflow?

Never encountered any hot/dead pixels so far. I guess that's one benefit of using ACR since it automatically removes them for photos (so that would also apply for image sequences).

Regarding noise reduction, I use Neat Video in Premiere (before exporting the master), and then add a bit of grain through FilmConvert to add some texture.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

hjfilmspeed

I love the detail in acr but hate the wait. forget it if you want to regrade. I love the workflow and speed of resolve but im not impressed with how resolve handles detail. just seems of or pixelish. im not so sure about round tripping the footage as i feel that there are some things that wont transfer correctly from your editor. i hope future software will enable live metadata editing like cineform does but with the power of davinci. that would be sick! or like sony vegas does for red footage. that sounds fun.

N/A

Convert with Son of Batch, pull the dng's into AE through ACR, adjust wb and apply VisionLOG. Bring footage into AE and run it through Neat Video, do some slight color correction and apply one of the Osiris LOG LUT's, then export to ProRes444. Do the rest of my editing in FCPX.

I've had lots of nice results upscaling the raw footage I'm getting out of the 600d, even going from 720p to 1080p with little to no aliasing.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Betelgeuza

Quote from: ilia on October 20, 2013, 05:16:22 AM
I recently switched my workflow from After Effects(ACR) to Davinci Resolve 10.  The speed of rendering proxies and the ability to relink and grade the Raw files in Resolve is so much more practical and powerful. What is your preference and why?
u have Canon Dslr ? u must have DPP ..and turst me ..u dont need nothink more for edit RAW file to tiff or jpeg..but ofc u can convert file thousend times if u like

in last year i edited around  12.000 files with DPP ( not including Time lapses )...program is eazy and  there is no problem with editing 100 RAW files in same moment....u can learn basics and later u can jump to PS and realize how eazy is PS ..

Betelgeuza

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on October 21, 2013, 01:55:28 PM
Never encountered any hot/dead pixels so far. I guess that's one benefit of using ACR since it automatically removes them for photos (so that would also apply for image sequences).

Regarding noise reduction, I use Neat Video in Premiere (before exporting the master), and then add a bit of grain through FilmConvert to add some texture.

all cameras got them...no mater new or dont..u just need to take them out..but those nasty dots are eazy to eliminate..

togg

Quote from: N/A on October 22, 2013, 02:30:38 AMBring footage into AE and run it through Neat Video
So you do noise reduction before cc and cg. I'm hearing all sort of things about when you should denoise. Someone say to do it at the end, someone else before, someone else for start (after log in ACR ecc). I'm confused : ))

dude

Noise Reduction AFTER CC!
From First to last Step:
1st CC: WB,White/ Black Point (levels, kurves,...)
2nd CC: Effects, Colour and stuff
Denoiser
Sharpen

Sidenotes: Do the Colour Correction AFTER doing titles if you want them to fit into the scene.
                  Set a vignette BEFORE the Colour Correction(worst mistake ever, even the tv stations do it wrong..)

N/A

Keep in mind that I'm using a 600D, which doesn't quite have the low light capabilities of newer cameras. Also, Neat Video uses a pixel blending method that helps with the aliasing we get with lower rez raw footage. So yeah, slight noise reduction in ACR, sharpening off, Neat Video denoise, maybe some natural grain, THEN cc and lut.

Here's a page about processing h264 straight from the camera, but imo the same thing should apply to lower rez raw footage that's not going to upscale as well.

http://vision-color.com/post-processing/
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Betelgeuza

what u guys say about Seting GOOD exposure and Forgot about noize  ?!!
.. u knwo what u doing with photo when u removing Bad exposured Noiz from photo ? ..
u lowing sharpnes .. this what u doing later its  making photo looks more `sharpen` .. this is blind circle..

dude

I forgot to mention-
exporting dpx in ae is only possible in 10 bit.
really, i tested footage in premiere, one via dynamik link, the other via dpx 10bit and yuvv10 bit- no difference.

you can see this by applying a dramatic curve effect and then watch the rgb parade- a lot of gaps menas 8 bit, at 10 or 16 there are no gaps.

anyway, there is a tool called dpx plus, it s for free and allwos you both to import and export dpx files even in 16 bit in ae and pp !

hjfilmspeed

How many frames per second is everyone getting out of arc or lightroom. Im only getting about 1 maybe 2 with a quad core 2.4 and 8 gigs of ram. Resolve spits out like 9 or 10 when rendering. I wish there was more option for dng processing on windows.

djfremen

Quote from: guilhermemartins on October 21, 2013, 12:37:56 AM
Plus, has anybody experimented with ACR scaling in Photoshop? I usually find it best to export a 3k+ tiff and than downscale to 1080p.

Please explain the logic of this. Surely your footage won't become sharper, right?

glubber

Quote from: hjfilmspeed on October 22, 2013, 10:01:08 PM
How many frames per second is everyone getting out of arc or lightroom. Im only getting about 1 maybe 2 with a quad core 2.4 and 8 gigs of ram. Resolve spits out like 9 or 10 when rendering. I wish there was more option for dng processing on windows.

Lightroom only uses the CPU to render while Resolve uses both CPU and GPU (Cuda engine of the Nvidia)
I once rendered 200 CR2 for a timelapse in Lightroom on a DuoCore 3.3 ghz/ 8 GB ram...
it took about 45 minutes and ate up all my pc resources  :(
EOS 550D // Sigma 18-200 // Sigma 18-70 // Canon 10-18 STM

hjfilmspeed

Quote from: glubber on October 23, 2013, 09:19:58 AM
Lightroom only uses the CPU to render while Resolve uses both CPU and GPU (Cuda engine of the Nvidia)
I once rendered 200 CR2 for a timelapse in Lightroom on a DuoCore 3.3 ghz/ 8 GB ram...
it took about 45 minutes and ate up all my pc resources  :(
Soooo frustrating! its a shame because acr or lightroom debayering is just soooo clean!!! like iso 6400 is usable through acr but fagetaboutit in resolve. Davinci is not quite up to par when it comes to dng debayer but it sure is a much faster workflow

BrotherD

Davinci Resolve 10 Lite. Color grading and correction is second to none. If I need to get it edited and rendered with the quickness, I'm calling Resolve. AE, PP, FCP, Vegas can do things today that Resolve can't. PP, FCP and Vegas better be very careful... As I look into the future I see having Resolve on your resume as a must. It's professional and free! C'mon man! Resolve is more important to me than a new BMW.

Did you want a technical answer?