VisionLOG profile for ACR & Lightroom

Started by Steven Griffith, October 14, 2013, 02:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven Griffith

Supported Software

These .dcp profiles can be used to convert RAW footage to the VisionLOG color space in:

• Adobe Camera RAW
  • Adobe Lightroom
Supported Cameras

Currently works with .dng and .cr2 RAW files from the following cameras:

• Canon EOS 5D Mark II
  • Canon EOS 5D Mark III
  • Canon EOS 6D
  • Canon EOS 7D
  • Canon EOS 50D
  • Canon EOS 60D
  • Canon EOS 100D
  • Canon EOS 500D
  • Canon EOS 550D
  • Canon EOS 600D
  • Canon EOS 650D
  • Canon EOS 700D
  • & older/nightly Magic Lantern Builds w/ wrong EXIF data (Canikon, PHR)
  • Nikon D4
  • Nikon D600
  • Nikon D610
  • Nikon D800
  • Nikon D3100
  • Nikon D3200
  • Nikon D7000
  • Nikon D7100
Download v.2 now available!

www.vision-color.com/visionlog

3D LUTs optional

We've added two LUTs to the download section on our site. One that converts VisionLOG to Rec.709 (Camera Neutral equivalent) and a LUT for Davinci Resolve users which converts footage set to BMD Film to the VisionLOG color space.

www.vision-color.com/visionlog

Feel free to send us an Email to [email protected] if you have any questions or thoughts!

Cheers,
Steve
www.vision-color.com
www.facebook.com/VISI0NC0L0R
@visioncolorps

Steven Griffith | VisionColor
www.vision-color.com
[email protected]

Joachim Buambeki

Great work guys!

How to use it exaclty, is it best to leave everything at default? When moving any of the tonality control sliders the output isn't true log anymore, right? So I guess apart from white balance one should touch anything except the detail and lens correction tab I suppose.

Thanks for making it free!

Steven Griffith

The profiles automatically restrict the image to a certain range so you can savely adjust white balance, tone shift, highlights, shadows etc to optimize every shot. Contrast, saturation, tone curve and color matrix adjustments override the profiles restrictions because they are applied to the data after the profile.

Everyone: If the profile doesn't work with your camera and current Magic Lantern build due to metadata mismatch please send us a DNG to [email protected] and we'll compile more profiles.
www.vision-color.com
[email protected]

Joachim Buambeki

I am still learning to work with log, but shouldn't you alter the output before heading over to something like Resolve?
If I understood it correctly, log is a curve that is applied to the linear data, if that is the case the grading suite expects that kind of input to make the grading tools work in an optimal way I suppose. If you alter that you kinda screw up the worklflow, don't you?

Could you elaborate on that Steve? I would really appreciate that.

PS: I just bought the M31 LUT to support your work and as an appreciation for giving away the log profile for free. I encourage everyone else that appreciate this profile to do the same.
Looking forward to see more Nikon cameras added. :-)

Steven Griffith

A LOG curve quite simply provides a more accurate representation of the dynamic range that the sensor of any given camera is actually able to record to allow for more flexibility in post. Since all sensors are different there is no unified LOG standard that all devices adhere to but rather hundreds of them that color grading applications are able to manage because you control them by eye (unless you're working with output simulation LUTs/projector calibration etc but I don't think that's what you're asking)
www.vision-color.com
[email protected]

Kharak

Played around with your Log a little and so far I am very impressed. Haven't rendered anything out yet to see if this will be a work around for flickering, but so far it really looks like I'm getting more dynamic range in contrary to lowering contrast etc.

Still feel obliged to adjust the Highlights in different scenes now and then, in those cases I guess there is no work around for flickering (not that there always is). But hey.. Looks like that adds even more dynamic range :)

But noticed it changes White Balance when I click vision log?
once you go raw you never go back

hjfilmspeed

Sick!!!! I have been following you guys for a while now! you should make some LUTs for resolve if you havent already done so

Steven Griffith

QuoteHaven't rendered anything out yet to see if this will be a work around for flickering
I've only just heard about the flickering issues with ACR (not a videographer). Does anyone know what causes it?
QuoteBut noticed it changes White Balance when I click vision log
Are you sure? The profile doesn't usually change the white balance.
Quoteyou should make some LUTs for resolve if you havent already done so
We have. Rec.709 to LOG LUT comes with our OSIRIS film emulations. ;) I'm told BMD Film works really well with ML RAW footage aswell...
www.vision-color.com
[email protected]

Joachim Buambeki

Quote from: Steven Griffith on October 14, 2013, 10:30:04 PMI've only just heard about the flickering issues with ACR (not a videographer). Does anyone know what causes it?
AFAIK that is a problem that occurs if you use use more than the exposure slider and curves, see this thread and what one of the Adobe developer says:

Quote from: MadManChan2000Some (many) controls in the Basic panel in PV 2012 are now image-adaptive.  They use the image content itself to determine the range and behavior of the controls.  Highlights, Shadows, and Clarity are among the controls that respond most strongly to the image content.  These were not designed with temporal coherence in mind.  This is why you can expect to see temporal artifacts if you are to try to apply these controls to individual still frames.

For basic tone effects, I would suggest instead using the Parametric and/or Point curves to minimize temporal issues.

So depending on image content you get flicker - beeing severe or not (maybe even invisible).

N/A

Can't wait to try this out in combination with the Osiris lut's. Thanks again, fellas.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

hjfilmspeed

Can you please make more profiles for lightroom! Like say ones that are already graded like your lut packs? I would looooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeee to use them for photog as well! i love the colors of your luts and pic styles. Im thinking dont just make lightroom presets but the profiles would be awesome!!!!! I would gladly pay of these as well!!! Like the m31 lut as a lightroom camera profile would be awesome!!!! I would love to use that for photos too.

Kharak

Quote from: Steven Griffith on October 14, 2013, 10:30:04 PM
I've only just heard about the flickering issues with ACR (not a videographer). Does anyone know what causes it?Are you sure? The profile doesn't usually change the white balance. We have. Rec.709 to LOG LUT comes with our OSIRIS film emulations. ;) I'm told BMD Film works really well with ML RAW footage aswell...

As I understand, if you use the 2012 (whatever it's called) in ACR, then ACR will perform some automatic adjustments to each DNG which will/can cause minor flickering, but if you move contrast, highlight, shadows, saturation etc. Then that can severely increase the flickering.

And yes, it changes WB to 4500 and tint to -22 every time I add vision log. No biggey, just something I need to keep in mind.

Another question, as I only own the 5D MK II of all the cameras in your Vision log Folder. Is there any problem if I only have the 5D MK II profile in the folder? I can't really trust automatic adjustments, especially if I only can choose Vision Log, I keep thinking to myself "what if it keeps choosing the wrong camera profile". And could you explain how it knows which camera profile to choose?

Thanks again for the free LOG :) I still very much like it.

dude

When i open the dngs in ae, i have a problem... in acr, there is no profile aviable, it s only embedded showing up...how can i change that?

Rewind

Quote from: dude on October 15, 2013, 12:51:29 PM
When i open the dngs in ae, i have a problem... in acr, there is no profile aviable, it s only embedded showing up...how can i change that?
Probably you are using an obsolete version of raw2dng which saves 'wrong' exif data.
You can tell it by the name of the camera in the title bar:

If it says 'Canikon' instead of your actual camera, than this is the case.
You can use EXIFtool to write the proper camera information to existing dngs.

dude

Yes, that s exactly what i get, canikon.
i tried to search for the latest raw2dng.exe, but did not find it... do you have a link? would be great, thanks!

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: dude on October 15, 2013, 01:47:02 PM
i tried to search for the latest raw2dng.exe, but did not find it... do you have a link? would be great, thanks!
RAW Video Post processing [Mac/Win/Linux]
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5404.0
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

dude

That s where i downloaded it today, but still got canikon in acr...

Steven Griffith

QuoteThat s where i downloaded it today, but still got canikon in acr...
Send us a DNG file to [email protected] and we'll extract the exif data from it to compile another profile thats compatible with your current build! We'll also add it to the official download to reduce compability issues in the future.

QuoteAnd yes, it changes WB to 4500 and tint to -22 every time I add vision log. No biggey, just something I need to keep in mind.
Is anyone else experiencing this? Tested it with 4 profiles on 3 machines and can't reproduce the WB and Tint shift.
Another question, as I only own the 5D MK II of all the cameras in your Vision log Folder. Is there any problem if I only have the 5D MK II profile in the folder? I can't really trust automatic adjustments, especially if I only can choose Vision Log, I keep thinking to myself "what if it keeps choosing the wrong camera profile". And could you explain how it knows which camera profile to choose?
Only the profile that matches the EXIF data of your camera will show up in ACR so you won't be able to accidentally choose the wrong version. You can of course delete all other profiles if you know that you won't need them.

It would be great to see some examples of how the VisionLOG profile reduces flickering when compared to flattening the image with the UI tools in ACR. If it does indeed reduce flickering we'll try to adjust the knee of our gamma curve to extract more detail out of the highlights to obviate any additional highlight adjustments in ACR.
www.vision-color.com
[email protected]

reddono

i'm getting 4500 WB as well the canikon problem with the 550d...

vstrglv

Quote from: reddono on October 15, 2013, 04:25:46 PM
i'm getting 4500 WB as well the canikon problem with the 550d...
the same for me 5D3
raw2dng.exe from  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5654.0 today download
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

Kharak

yeah, I wanna add that I also see get Canikon on my 5d MK II.

Edit: This must have something to do with raw2dng, because I tried importing older shoots and they are correctly marked as 5D MK II and there is no WB or tint shift.

If I delete all the other profiles except 5DII in Vision Log folder, then it won't matter if ACR interprets the DNG as Canikon, am I right?

ru31jan

rockfallfilms

Thanks for this, I did a similar profile based on the 50D neutral preset but yours is much brighter in the highlights. On some shots I find myself still needing to pull down the highlights with the slider, whereas with my profile the highlights are lower.

I don't like using the highlight slider as it introduces flicker. In my experience, using dcp profiles prevents flicker from occurring.

Having said that, I've not seen any white balance issues, it works as it should and my camera is correct in ACR. I process my .RAW files with Rawmagic.

ghosts

With 60D, I'm getting Canikon too even with the most recent raw2dng but i'm pretty sure this is not a problem with VisionLog but with ML creating EXIF info in RAW files

dude

I created a new thread for this problem, becuase this one should be used for the visionlog. check it:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8832.msg83225;topicseen#msg83225