VisionLOG profile for ACR & Lightroom

Started by Steven Griffith, October 14, 2013, 02:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vertigopix

DeafEyeJedi

Sure it is free but we don't know how much longer it'll be before this comes out?

Plus who wouldn't want Cinelog-C's bundle package in their post kit?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

simulacro

I like VisionLog. It's a very good tool in my opinion. It's made by professionals -Cinelog too  :) - and it's free. In my opinion it does the job very well done.

JADURCA

VisionLOG its good, but I can still make better color grades using Adobe Standard. Will like to test Cinelog-C too and see if can do better than Adobe Standard profile.

What about this one? http://www.vision-color.com/bmdfilm/

Anyone tried it?

KelvinK

Visionlog works best with Impulze/Osiris LUTs, Cinelog is more universal. I would say, you may have banding issues with some Impulze LUTs and cinelog, it's rare but exists, those luts tuned for visionlog.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

Andy600

@KelvinK - If you're getting banding when using Impulz luts it means they either don't have enough resolution for whichever colorspace they are designed for or they have other artifacts that affect smoothness. Linear Lut interpolation can also cause issues where there is not enough quantize points. The source footage colorspace should ideally match the colorspace that the lut was developed for. Try it with Resolve 12 using RCM (i.e. not using Cinelog) and you will see the same banding issues.

VisionLog is more of a look than a colorspace. It has a lot of non-linear adjustments and can't be described with a transfer function and matrix in the same way as Log-C, S-log, C-Log, Cinelog-C etc so there is no practical way to invert or linearize it. The problem with adding so many non-linear corrections at the start of a log based workflow or when creating log intermediates, is that any quantize errors, rounding errors and hue shifts get baked into the image. You probably will not see any problems until later but you are effectively reducing the latitude for grading. The initial conversion of linear raw data should ideally be kept to as little corrective processing as possible and preferably be invertible.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Andy600 on October 08, 2015, 01:43:14 PM
VisionLog is more of a look than a colorspace. It has a lot of non-linear adjustments and can't be described with a transfer function and matrix in the same way as Log-C, S-log, C-Log, Cinelog-C etc so there is no practical way to invert or linearize it. The problem with adding so many non-linear corrections at the start of a log based workflow or when creating log intermediates, is that any quantize errors, rounding errors and hue shifts get baked into the image. You probably will not see any problems until later but you are effectively reducing the latitude for grading. The initial conversion of linear raw data should ideally be kept to as little corrective processing as possible and preferably be invertible.
Exactly the reason why I use Cinelog-C.

"Less is more" because Andy did the "dirty" work by calculating dedicated proper color spaces for us and hence the reason why it isn't free. [emoji6]
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

JADURCA

When I tried VisionLOG, I found that color skins comes with some sort of artifacts regarding colors or hue shifts, don't really know how to describe it. It just don't look natural. Specially on skin tones, and not to mention that color vividness is lost specially in magenta region, not sure if all color profiles with a LOG do this for magentas as a normal behavior or as @ Andy600 says, is just a more of a look than a dedicated colorspace. Need to test more color profiles to find out.

lewisczech

For 70D folks: I recompiled the VisionLOG dcp file for 6D with the dcpTool: http://1drv.ms/1XYmtdo Not sure if it works correctly but I thought I'd share it anyway.

moifa

Hi,

I have downloaded and installed the Visionlog profiles for my Canon 500D. But when I chose the Visionlog profile in Lightroom, the image becomes totally wash out. I check the image with Photoshop Camera Raw, it reads the image as taken with Canon 500D, so there is nothing wrong with the RAW image.

Am I missing something? I am running Lightroom 6.5 with Camera Raw 9.5. I have to use the Camera portrait profile for now.

Moifa

Roberto Mena

With the help of Adobe I finally got VisionLog for ACR installed but now when I try to import DNG files into After Effects I get the warning "After Effects error: Photoshop file format error (-1) (45 ::35)". When I research the code I get a lot of people in help forums working with Maya. I don't even have Maya installed nor do any kind of CGI animation. I am just color correcting and grading MLV files with Adobe After Effects or Bridge. FYI, I also upgraded to CC 2015.3 . Also, if I try exporting DNG files graded with ACR camera profile via Adobe Bridge and move or copy the greaded files to a different folder, the DNG's do not get the correction or grading I applied in Bridge. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Danne

Are you missing frames in your dng sequence?

Roberto Mena

Danne, no I am not missing frames and in fact, these are mlv/dng files I've used before in After Effects before updating to CC 2015.3 . But even if they where new DNG files I wouldn't know they where missing frames because I wouldn't be able to play them in After Effects to find out because it won't allow me to import them because of that stupid warning I get. What is also weird is if I use them in Bridge or Lightroom they work but I am not familiar with Bridge or Light Room to color grade or correct as well.

Roberto Mena

UPDATE: I contacted Adobe to help me with my After Effects CC 2015.3 issue (After Effects error: Photoshop file format error (-1). (45 :: 35) where I can no longer import DNG files to this app. What was weird was that Adobe asked me to try importing DNG's with the older version of After Effects CS6 and it worked fine and even though it bugs me that I'd have to use the older version of AF CS6 but I still would use it to color grade and correct my DNG's but the one damn tool I've been chasing to work with is not implemented in AF CS6... the Dehazing tool! Again, I am still able to import DNG files with all of the other Adobe apps that have Adobe Camera RAW like Bridge and Lightroom CC 2015.3 The tech also downgraded my AE to CC 2015 along with the older version of Adobe Camera RAW and that still didn't fix the issue... wtf! Adobe said they where going to work on the issue and call me back.

Anyone else have any other suggestions, please? Thanks.

dmilligan

Need more information. What RAW/MLV converter are you using? Have you tried a different one? Mac or Win? What camera? Dual ISO? Raw or MLV? etc. etc.

Upload a sample DNG and/or a small RAW/MLV file that exhibits the problem.

Roberto Mena

MLV with sound. Mlviewer converter. MLVFS doesn't mount them either. Mac. Canon 7D. No Dual ISO. Log 8, etc. none matters. 23.976 fps. All these files worked perfectly before updating to CC 2015.3 and then installing VisionLOG ACR.

Adobe still hasn't gotten back.

When I come back celebrating this cool country's birthday in my awesome Cali, I will Upload a sample DNG and/or a small RAW/MLV file that exhibits the problem.

Thanks everyone.

Happy 4th of July!

Richard R

Hello,
Does anyone know where I can download the file VisionLOG raw.
Because the site where suppose to download it is down.
Or can someone send me the file.
I would really appreciate it.

Thank's a lot.
cheers

DanHaag

Scroll down on their website. They recently added the old stuff back there because so many people have been asking. http://www.vision-color.com/

Update: I just saw the LUT you're looking for might not be there at all. Send their support an email, maybe?

galxcom

I used VisionLOG profile mostly to LUT photos in Photoshop after Lightroom when I had my Canon camera. But when I bought Sony everything became more complicated because now I can't use this super camera profiles in Lightroom to make correct (or kind of) LOG from raw that I can use in Photoshop with your paid LUTs after.

There are LUT converters like rec.709 to LOG but it is quite bad tweak I guess. Cuz they operate not with raw but with already converted tiff or something else.

So my question is to VisionLOG profile support: are you going to make such http://www.vision-color.com/visionlog/ product for other cameras? I have Sony Alpha ILCE-7RM2 and really want to use your great LUTs with raw photos made with this camera.
Well it seems your terms are not acceptable