Raw Vs MLV - Canon 7d

Started by mrnv45, October 04, 2013, 06:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrnv45

Im looking for the best answer to the question.

Raw vs. .MLV

which one is a better choice on the canon 7d?

RenatoPhoto

For 7D RAW.  MLV is still under development.
For 5D3 MLV if you need spanning for faster recording.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

1%

MLV has some bad frames, on 50D they fall anywhere, on 7D usually only the beginning.

g3gg0

Quote from: 1% on October 04, 2013, 04:01:06 PM
MLV has some bad frames, on 50D they fall anywhere, on 7D usually only the beginning.
what does that mean? what kind of errors are that?
interesting as the capturing process was not changed.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

mrnv45

yuh in .mlv i had more drop outs for sure so ill stick to RAW until i get me a 1000x.
i got a 400x lexar right now and it holds up great on raw!

ill just play around with it more and see where i go from here.

thanks to http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8627.0 i can view my RAW files before importing to make sure i want my clips

g3gg0

magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

mrnv45

im on mac and dont have a WINE or anything to run .exe

i like my viewer now tho. 

mrnv45

hey g3ggo,

i saw something about raw (2.0)? what is that about?

im on 1% 9/29 build.. am i missing something i need to update too?

arrinkiiii

Magic Lantern Raw 1.0  = raw extension
Magic Lantern Raw 2.0  = mlv extension

mrnv45

ok thanks.. i kinda started looking and kinda just put 2n2 together as thats what people were referring to.  so you build the updates as well?

arrinkiiii

No, just testing the stuff  :)

mrnv45

lol thats good to know.. cause i dont fully understand the full language yet.  im barely starting school for it.

g3gg0

hmm weird..

i tried MLV raw_rec.mo on 7D and get no problems at all.
it works like a charm.

can you explain when this problem occurs?

1%

I only have 2 probs, freeze on card full + 1 bad frame (usually frame 2) near the beginning maybe 50% of the time.

On 50D occasional bad frame anywhere

mrnv45

Sometimes while recording I get a frame skipped or bad frame error and then it stops and then shuts off recording.

But I haven't full spent time on it cause I've been waiting on my new 1000x card I wanna record at least 1920 aspect

g3gg0

Quote from: 1% on October 04, 2013, 11:18:02 PM
I only have 2 probs, freeze on card full + 1 bad frame (usually frame 2) near the beginning maybe 50% of the time.

On 50D occasional bad frame anywhere

ok recorded 20 videos now in different modes and cannot reproduce any bad frame.
now checking what happens with a full disk.

1%

On lexar 1000x? People with crappier cards were having a harder time too. What frame size?

I get no bad frames on 6D, the 1 or so on 7D and then random ones on 50D... all the same module, just turns off GD pretty much.

My last update was 9/22, any change since then?

Overall, worse perf. on 50D/SD cams and lack of batch keeps me from MLV.

If you see any bug:

https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/src/352b7d1f8fd8a71890253534cf621079ad93b54c/modules/mlv_rec?at=unified

multi card maybe not working and didn't update the trace stuff.. not using it.

painya

Pardon my ignorance, but if I install a more recent nightly build will the Raw_Rec.mo be in there or a Mlv.Rec.mo?
Thanks,
Painya
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

1%

Its not merged, should be raw.

painya

Alright thank you, sorry I should've checked there is already a thread on this!  :-X
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

mrnv45

i have a 400x lexar right now. i can only get 1470 or whatever at a 2:35 crop. for continuous shooting.

but i read with the 1920 on a 1000x lexar was getting a good continuous shooting their 7d...