Config presets

Started by a1ex, September 25, 2013, 06:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

I've tried to implement the much-requested config presets, and almost got them working:

Backend:

* A preset is a subfolder under ML/SETTINGS
* It contains ML settings, module settings, pretty much any kind of settings except Canon ones.
* To choose a preset, you just change the settings directory. As long as code requiring some files with settings does not hardcode ML/SETTINGS, but uses get_config_dir() instead, it should work out of the box.
* Special preset names: <keyname>.KEY and <modename>.MOD (see below)

Frontend:

* You can choose a preset in 3 ways:
    - From menu (select it by name)
    - Linked to a key that you press and hold at startup (currently MENU, PLAY and INFO/DISP)
    - Linked to the shooting mode (from the mode dial) selected at startup (so you have a preset for M, another for Av and so on).
* You can create up to 13 named presets by creating subfolders under ML/SETTINGS/ (just "new folder" is enough; copying an existing folder is also fine)
* The preset name is always displayed in the menu, in a corner.
* If it sounds complicated, you have built-in help in the camera ;)

Caveats:

* Changing the preset requires reboot (to keep things simple and robust).
* You may want to move ML/MODULES/*.CFG and *.EN to ML/SETTINGS (or just delete them and start fresh).
* Right now there's no way to create new named presets from menu (you need to do this on the PC).
* 5D2/50D do not have a dedicated switch for movie mode (they always start in photo mode). This means you can't have a preset for movie and another one for photo on these cameras (even if the menu may suggest you can). It might work if you press LiveView fast enough at startup (didn't try this).

Jakobmen

Canon 5D3

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on September 25, 2013, 06:45:08 PM
Changing the preset requires reboot (to keep things simple and robust).

Hmmmyes, that was to be expected after what you've already written before, and it certainly makes the mode-dependent presets less practical - but the implementation sounds very nice and thought through, I'm keen to give it a try (well, as soon as 1% pulls it into his fork so it's on my 6D :-p)!

If you didn't already do it when selecting a different config - maybe implementing a soft reboot to switch configs would be a good idea so users don't need to power off the camera, wait some (otherwise it might not have reboot), and then switch it back on again?

engardeknave

RenatoPhoto

Hard to keep up with you guys!  ;D
The Your development speed outpaces the my learning speed! :o
Congratulations!
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

arrinkiiii

...always the same, and the same... only good news  :D

Thanks for this, very appreciated.

Doyle4

Nice.

i now have 4 sets, Photo - RAW Video - H264 video - TimeLapse

Walter Schulz

Walter Schulz

Bug?
650D, nightly build 16.0ct.: INFO button key doesn't work if
Prefs -> Config files -> Config preset - Startup key
is activated. MENU and PLAY buttons are working.

Ciao
Walter

a1ex

Most likely the INFO key event is not sent if you hold the key during startup. Try pressing it a few times after starting ML, before the config gets loaded; maybe it will get caught this way.

Also check if INFO works as expected in menu (it should attempt to display some help).

Walter Schulz

Works!
Press INFO once after Canon's screen appears while sensor cleaning is running.
Thanks!

EDIT: Help works as intended after pressing INFO in ML menu. INFO in liveview: No problems, too.

Ciao
Walter

a1ex

What about popping up a menu at startup, where you can select a config preset by name?

Also it may be nice to include some presets in the nightly zip, as suggested here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg82358#msg82358

and the presets could include stripped-down Junkie menus, so this menu would be no longer overwhelming for newcomers:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8741.msg83212#msg83212

for example, my Junkie menu looks roughly like this:

Thoughts?

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on October 18, 2013, 09:14:37 AM
What about popping up a menu at startup, where you can select a config preset by name?

My one issue with the current preset system is not loading presets, but *saving* them - I'd like to have the choice to save the current preset to a specific mode/button. If I could give it a name and there's a nice loading choice menu all the better, but since a reboot is required anyway the mode/button solution is also quick if you can remember what config is where.

a1ex

You mean, start changing settings from preset A and save it as B?

RenatoPhoto

The concept seems very good but I would added as optional by pressing a button since I would not want this screen to come up every time.

Also it may be nice to include some presets in the nightly zip, as suggested here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg82358#msg82358
Absolutely!  I find presets very useful to setup ML for specific functions i.e. Timelapse.  This will allow beginners to quickly get results without the lengthy trouble shooting questions of How to?

and the presets could include stripped-down Junkie menus, so this menu would be no longer overwhelming for newcomers:
Anything to provide ease of use and quick reliable results via presets is a huge plus. +
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

engardeknave

QuoteWhat about popping up a menu at startup, where you can select a config preset by name?

I suggested this a while ago and I would definitely be for it.

jose_ugs

Where magic happens!!! So useful!

morsafr

Hi everybody,

Great perspective indeed!

Is it already available in the nightly build?

Thanks!

Walter Schulz

If you're talking about config presets in common:
It is for months.
You may even use it.

If you're talking about config preset selectable at startup as a menu: Nope.

morsafr

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure which one is the one for me.

Basically what I'd like to do is alternate between two ML configs: one for RAW (with RAW Recording ON and FPS Override ON) and one for H264 (with RAW recording and FPS Override OFF).

Can I do it with Config Presets in common?

Walter Schulz

Yes, because they were made for such things.

morsafr

I cannot find information on how they work.

Is there any guide for it?

Thanks again.

Walter Schulz

timbytheriver

Maybe a dumb question, but are these 'config presets' options also in the a.d./pravdomil builds for Mk2?

Thanks.

5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

eos

Quote from: a1ex on October 18, 2013, 11:15:16 AM
You mean, start changing settings from preset A and save it as B?

+1