Intervalometer Ramping Module (adv_int.mo)

Started by dmilligan, September 21, 2013, 12:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmilligan

not til I get home from work in about 5 hours  :-\

Doyle4

8352: Merged core changes from https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-request/232/adv_int-module

What i saw in outpost. no adv_int.mo in 600d nightly 23rd sept.

dmilligan

he didn't merge the module itself (b/c it's not done yet), just the changes I need to the core, you will still need the adv_int.mo from me (you can pull it out of any of those builds that I posted, unfortunately I can't post the adv_int.mo file by itself til I get home)

RenatoPhoto

I did an hg pull and hg update and cannot find the adv_int directory in modules

Update:  Oops Ok!  I did not read your post above.  Thanks
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

dmilligan

Quote from: a1ex on September 23, 2013, 04:08:09 PM
Next nightly is up and running, can you check it?

I can confirm it is working. I have updated the first post to simply link to my .mo file and direct ppl to d/l the latest nightly

dmilligan

update:

added WB (only the kelvin setting, not fine tuning adjustments, will anyone need those too?),

also did some rounding suggested by a1ex to help canon firmware accept computed ramp values that might be inbetween values accepted by the canon firmware, as well as rounding ISO to the nearest analog ISO.

mageye

OK so now the latest updated nightly for 500D no longer includes ETTR module :(
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: dmilligan on September 24, 2013, 12:31:45 AM
added WB (only the kelvin setting, not fine tuning adjustments, will anyone need those too?),
I used the latest autoexec.bin and load the (latest) adv_int.mo to check for functionality of WB on 5D3.
It worked!  I ran a test of ten shots and created a list of keyframes to follow, then I checked the images and the WB was properly set.  The minimum jumps were of 100, from 3100 to 3200, etc.  I noticed that if I move the slider in ACR I get increments of 50, so I dont know what kind of jumps will be acceptable to have a timelapse with smooth WB transition.  Maybe 100, maybe 50 or maybe less.  I suppose this will have to be tested to determing a correct jump, maybe operator selectable?
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

dmilligan

I rounded using the KELVIN_STEPS (which is 100) macro in the ML source, I wasn't sure if the canon firmware would just accept any old kelvin value and assumed I needed to round. If it will take any old value, then I have no problem dropping it to 50, or just not rounding at all. a1ex will have to answer this question

RenatoPhoto

Ran some test and experienced some problems with the list of Frames.

If you go in the List Keyframes and there are no keyframes then you have to get out of ML to get out of this menu.  Should just press Q tog get back.
The first time you use the list of keyframes it works, but editing the list is not working well, the values at the previous list do not show.
Then if you try to edit an existing frame, it appears that the old frame is also listed.
When using WB I set my firts frame to 5000 and in frame 10 to 3000.  What happens is that the current setting for WB (whatever it is) is used in the first two frames instead of setting the first frame at 5000 as i programmed it.

I used a 5D3 with the latest binaries.

Let me know when you fix this so i can test it again.

Thanks for this great idea

dmilligan

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on September 25, 2013, 04:27:09 AM
If you go in the List Keyframes and there are no keyframes then you have to get out of ML to get out of this menu.  Should just press Q tog get back.
I noticed that too, this is problem with the ML menu API. The same thing will happen if you go to some of the ML Help menus, without any of the help data on your card, those menus will be empty and you can't get out of them w/o leaving ML completely. I have just submitted a bug on the issue tracker for this.

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on September 25, 2013, 04:27:09 AM
When using WB I set my firts frame to 5000 and in frame 10 to 3000.  What happens is that the current setting for WB (whatever it is) is used in the first two frames instead of setting the first frame at 5000 as i programmed it.
I know what happened here (I took out some code alex thought was redundant, and it was for the most part redundant, but it did cover this case), and I'll fix it so that it gets set correctly after the first frame instead of the second, but it's important to note that the keyframes operate AFTER the frame is taken. The way it's set up I can't really do anything before the first frame, so make sure your camera is already set how you want it for the first frame.

Maybe I should shift the numbers by one so that 5 means before frame 5 instead of after, start the numbering at 2, and automatically create a keyframe 1 from the initial settings of the first frame, this might be a little more intuitive, and you wouldn't have to create the inital keyframe. What do you think?

Thank you so much for the feedback!

RenatoPhoto

Or take the first frame to confirm that the module is operating properly by announcing on Life View that the next frame will have the proper settings.

Also there is a little variable which is critical to making a Timelapse which I have not used or tested yet, but Alex is using it.  It is the Exposure Target found in ETTR advanced mode.  By using this we can change the overall target exposure of the timelapse without affecting the deflickering.  It is like an exposure ramp on top of the deflickering exposure compensation.  I think Alex uses this to make the night timelapse a bit darker since now it is kind of too bright.  It is not possible to go above -0.5, now for this to work on a keyframe we would need a finer access to this value so it could be ramped smoothly ie +-0.1

a1ex

That's something meant to set once, not ramped. ETTR is not supposed to give you the final look, but only a technically correct exposure for RAW (which can't be flicker-free because it meters for highlights).

If you try to ramp this, post deflicker deflicker will "undo" it with exposure compensation.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: a1ex on September 25, 2013, 02:40:45 PM
If you try to ramp this, post deflicker will "undo" it with exposure compensation.
Thanks for clarifying this, so it is not possible to use this for an exposure ramp  :'(

a1ex

This is best done in post (at deflickering stage or after that).

If you underexpose before that, you'll get noise, if you overexpose before that, you get clipped highlights. If you do both of them in post, these problems disappear.

dmilligan

updates:
I fixed all the bugs RP found
Implemented global time, so you can enter times of day for the keyframe times

For the time of day entry menu, since I wanted to allow precision of entry down to the second, but scrolling through every second of the day would take forever, and I didn't really want to have 3 separated menu items to enter the time (hours, minutes ,seconds), I have implemented an experimental accelerating scroll wheel for this menu item. If you scroll slowly, it will change only the seconds, if you scroll a little faster it jumps to 15s increments, faster still: 30s, even faster 1min, and scroll very fast and it will jump by 10min increments.

Play around with this and let me know what you think, and if you think it works well enough to keep.

@a1ex, perhaps a modified version of this using more accurate timers (I just used LoadCalendarFromRTC, which only has 1 second resolution and it still works pretty well) and slightly better more general acceleration algorithm would be useful to build in to the menus for items with large ranges. That would allow user to enter any value for something like say intervalometer period, but still be able to quickly get to large values, without having to make it start jumping by 5s, then 10s, then 30, etc, like is done currently (see commit line 395)

RenatoPhoto

Wow!  Looks really good..  I will have to test it soon.  :D

Danne

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on September 25, 2013, 02:52:28 PM
Thanks for clarifying this, so it is not possible to use this for an exposure ramp  :'(

Ettr is the best.
Havn, t done extensive testing but when I skip using xmp deflickering going from day to night gives me a ramp curve much like using av mode on the camera. Even with ettr module. Of course this would give me some flickery files. With xmp deflickering I was under the impression It wants to even out exposure going from lightest and darkest picture and night pics have to be set down in post?

glubber

@danne:
Your impression is right!  ;)
If you're making a sunset/sunrise timelapse with ML-deflicker you have to adjust the exposure in post.

The ETTR tries to make the most bright picture,
and deflicker keeps the median of highlights/ midtones constant.
So if the overall scene is getting darker both ETTR and deflicker will brighten up the image.

A1ex is working on an app which is able to ramp the exposure in post.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8443.msg78255#msg78255

EOS 550D // Sigma 18-200 // Sigma 18-70 // Canon 10-18 STM

Danne

RenatoPhoto

Tested the new module with WB.  Basically set up two frames, begining and end, and the module did a nice job bumping the WB in 50 increments.  The resulting WB changes seemed smooth for the 1 hour tested.  I ramped WB from 3900 to 5000 in 60 frames so it skiped some frames and the bump 50.  I could not tell the jump or the change in WB so I think it is good.

Changing the time is a bit strange but it works, I used the joystick and had a better feel

dmilligan

Full day to full night time-lapse:

I used AutoETTR with an aperture ramp. The Av ramp was almost exactly right. I had it start about 15mins after sunset and ramped from f/11 down to f/4 over 15mins, had I made the ramp just a bit longer it would have been perfect. The ramping started right about when AutoETTR hit 25" shutter speed, and it kept ETTR from bumping up the ISO when it hit the max of 30" (I did the ramp just a little to fast and ETTR actually had to compensate the exposure back to 15", somewhere darker this would have probably been just the right speed). Interval time was 45".

I'm excited to try this somewhere much darker than a city!

saltador

i must be too slow for this... :)

I'm trying de av-ramp....i got to set first keyframe...ok..that's good..how i set the last keyframe? sory if it was clear i did not see it.

I set the exposure values in canon..
i set a keyframe #1 in ML (A) menu

then what?

sorry...and thanks..

dmilligan

Change the the keyframe time menu item under the "new keyframe" menu, then when the settings for that keyframe are like you want select "create keyframe"

Sorry the UI is not the most intuitive, the ML menu API is all I have to work with and wasn't exactly intended for doing complicated data entry like this.