Canon 70D

Started by teo770, September 20, 2013, 03:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marco3253

Hello everyone i'm new so sorry for the stupid questioning :)

i just bought a 70d hoping I could install ML. as read on this site the stable version is still in developing (did I understood good?).

So what i was thinking is to install the nightly builds, that are released for the 70d too.

what i do not understand is:

Some feature does not work (ok this is a beta, this means that if i get some error i can damage my camera? or just that feature does not work and i cannot use it?)

The firmware ML load every time from the sd card: this means that the original software will never be affected in changes? so if something wrong succed, i just remove the sd card and boot the original firmware?

and last, did someone tried on the 70d?

thank you.

Stedda

Quoteand last, did someone tried on the 70d?

There's nothing to try it doesn't exist.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

Yuppa

You should ENJOY your 70D for 3 to 6 months or so, learn it...love it--AS IS.  Then and ONLY then consider Magic Lantern.

When THAT day arrives, read and read and read and read and read the forums.  For every question you write, you should read at LEAST 50 posts--all the answers are in here, REALLY.  Use the search feature, too.

(And for a second I thought a1ex and g3gg0 were f**king with us--having become punchy from the GPL war).
When you care more about capturing DATA, as opposed to WONDERMENT, you've lost your creative SOUL.

marco3253

Quote from: Stedda on September 18, 2014, 05:48:35 PM
There's nothing to try it doesn't exist.

I was talking about nightly builds, that are out for the 70d too as I understood.

Quote from: Yuppa on September 18, 2014, 05:58:10 PM
You should ENJOY your 70D for 3 to 6 months or so, learn it...love it--AS IS.  Then and ONLY then consider Magic Lantern.

When THAT day arrives, read and read and read and read and read the forums.  For every question you write, you should read at LEAST 50 posts--all the answers are in here, REALLY.  Use the search feature, too.

(And for a second I thought a1ex and g3gg0 were f**king with us--having become punchy from the GPL war).

At this point we hope it cames out soon. Meanwhile i will enjoy my camera as it is.

thanx

walter_schulz

Quote from: marco3253 on September 23, 2014, 12:58:03 PM
I was talking about nightly builds, that are out for the 70d too as I understood.

Wrong. Top of page -> Downloads -> Browse Nightly Builds
and nothing about 70D will be found there. And the dev who planned to go on with porting has postponed any such activity until December.

ShootMeAlready

For those who want to enjoy the 70D as is for now.  My suggestion is play with picture styles.  Read up on flat picture styles, because that's the best way to max your EV in H264 (without ML).
Three I have rather liked include the two from Marvel for free 3.3 (slight orange skin hue - good for southern sun) and 3.4 (slight green skin hue - good for northern sun), and look-up Simlaar's flaat_11, (slight yellow skin tone hue - good for indoor lighting).  The flaat_11 really max out the EV (11 EV).  There is a flaat_12 (which is more of a 11EV+) but its very noisey in heavy shadow, so I am not able to use it to get 11+EV. 
Load the picture styles and remote shoot using the canon lap-top usb utility, you will see a curve which shows you just how effective a flat/flaat picture style is on the curve.
Also white balance is so important, as with H264 its baked in, and canon's auto WB is crap.  So until ML raw is here, I humbly suggest play with pic styles & WB (oh yes turn the contrast & sharpness all the way down, deSat = -2, for flat shooting).

There is a whack of picture styles for canon out there for free, that are like special effects (sin city: only red, only blue, only red-yellow, etc.). 

Correction: Skip the Simlaar flaat_10, _11, _12 for high contrast shots.  They fall apart in shadows.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

FotoGraphr

Hi,
I have been interested in picture styles and am spending more time trying new things as I wait for ML to arrive.

I have seen that there are many picture styles available, from many users and as a newbie to the party, it's been a painful task trying to find one that is either good, or does what I need (as there are so many)

I have read that their are some picture styles that allow users to shoot (in camera) a style that is much like a Hollywood action trailer, Inception, dark night, terminator etc?

As I won't be grading, port processing these particluar clips, I'm looking for a picture style that would let me shoot a short video clip that straight out of camera, would have that cinematic look and feel to it? Like a Hollywood action movie, very dramatic looking.

Is this possible with picture style or are most of them designed for flat look which requires the users to grade it later in lost?

I just want to create a little trailer that requires no post, no grading, no after effects and will look like a dramatic Hollywood action trailer sooc?

There is a website with 123 picture styles, but I try them, and to be fair, most of them are not that great and look bad? Do you know of a resource that has curated, the best, high quality, tested picture styles that are the cream of the crop? As I'd love to have a "dream" picture style for making short clips of the kids and/or wedding snippets, action or dramatic movie for when my friends are bmxing or Doing stunts etc, but there are just to must floating around that are supposed to be able to do this, but after going through the painful process of testing about 70 of them, I feel like giving up :D

Is there a good resource, comparison or example location for picture styles or do you happen to know of any amazing picture styles that can do the above?

Cheers

ShootMeAlready

FotoGraphr

You want dramatic but dont want high EV.  Hmmm.  Your best bet is monochromatic.  The film noir look is the best in camera dramatic look.  The reason most folks post process is things like skin colour, sky colour, and to get a high EV contrast with detail not just blotchyness (as well as a host of presets which make life easier to get the cinematic look one wants).  For accent I would suggest try the sin city looks (only red, red-yellow) combined with your monochromatic that's about as dramatic in camera s it gets.
Here is a thread on the sin city look: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1398.0 
Look around you will find only red, only blue etc.

However if you really must shoot in camera with skin tones the 3 I recommended can be used, just set contrast & sharpness and saturation to values achieve your final look (test it on some short clips).
Film grading for digital video, however is very important, in the very least you should quick colour correct every clip.  White balance is crucial with H264.  Have fun, learn something and see if you like the results (better to be shooting
than not!).
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

FotoGraphr

Thanks for that :) I'm going to check that link out now as that sounds very interesting indeed.

Yea I know it sounds weird to not want full range and quality. But I'm not a film maker, just a hobbyist looking to create fun movie style videos of my family friends etc in specific scenarios for my own entertainment and not for paid work or commercial etc.

Quick question, I've just bought the cinebooster picture style for £5 and it comes with a pf2 and a pf3 which one should I use on a 70D? No reply from their sipport site as of yet?

Pf2 is 9kb and pf3 is 400 and something kb... All my others are pf2 and this is the first time I have seen a pf3? Should I stick with the pf2 or use a pf3 if it's abailable? What's the difference? If they are the same why have 2 at all?

Cheers :)

ShootMeAlready

cinebooster picture style  pf2 or pf3

Well I tested both in TV mode, shutter=1/50, EV=0.  I tried then in low light and bright light.  I adjust Sharp&Contrast all way down, and sat -2 (this is the video flat settings).  I leave hue to whatever the preset is.
What I found was that when the AF subject was in bright light, the background shadow area falls apart (noise and banding).
I also noticed that Simlaar's flaat_11 and flaat_10, which retains higher DR, seems also to have banding in shadow with such high contrast shots.

The Marvels 3.3 and 3.4 worked beautifully.  They did not have the highest EV/peak retention, what they tended to due with shadow was underexpose, which was more cinematic than banding/noise.

When the AF subject was in low light, the fore/backround in bright light, I observed for the flaat_11/10 in its attempt to remove shadow it brought in detail with noise/banding, but the Marvels held their own
AF subject had negligible noise. 

Annother one I liked, from Cineplus was CINEMA.pf2. When adjusted to video flat settings, I was amazed that at sat=-2 the colour was too strong! Its preset was sat=0 which looks best.
Now it is generally darker then either of the Marvels, but where it shined was when your AF subject is in low light, and there is bright light in the fore/background.  Its general darker
picture clamps down on the highlights adding detail (acting like an ND filter).  In high contrast settings you have to choose between overexposure and under exposure, your camera cant handle both,
and so generally you expose based your AF subject light, so that means with fore/background you get one or the other?  Overexposure is worse because a subject framed by white without detail looks very cheap, underexposure
looks more cinematic because it frames your lit subject in blackness.  When you use the CINEMA profile it rescues the overexposure detail as much as possible, so its a special purpose picture style.  You could use
it to shoot very bright AF subjects as well since it lets you open the aperture more for blurs backgrounds acting like an ND filter.  The colours for all three of these pic styles were very nice on skin tones,
as they all have been crafted and tested for this (assuming your white balance and exposure are good).

I did this all on the 70D but its only slightly better than the 600D/T3i, and I think the same will be true for canon aps-c.

I shoot flat, but even if you shoot with the default preset settings of each pic style, the above is still true for HDR settings in terms of banding and noise.
For general shooting, its safer to go with picture styles that handle challenging HDR environments as they are the most versatile.

vfero

Maybe we should have some news? Will there be a 70D ML? If yes, when? 1 month? 2? 6? 1 year? Could be interesting to have these news...

nikfreak

@a1ex you see any chance this can solely be continued in QEMU? This should be the point where it stopped, right?:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/branch/70d-support

Is nanomad planning to return / continue this? #209 states December. So better wait for nanomad to return as he owns a cam
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

a1ex

From what I know from 100D, Canon's task structures changed, so QEMU will definitely help with this step (this will also be useful for 6D). But we are pretty far from emulating most Canon code in QEMU, so it has to be done by somebody with a camera.

But running ML in QEMU is a good exercise to get started. Here's the dumper, confirmed working by k1w1 and hpfrnsk:

dumper-70D-qemu.fir

It dumps 32 MB from 0xF7000000, which covers both ROM0 and ROM1 - that's what you need to run ML in QEMU. For analyzing the code, you can load ROM1 (the second half of that file) at 0xFF000000.

Usage: run firmware update, then go to play mode (make sure you have an image there), then look on your card. Keep the dump for yourself, do not publish it online.

nikfreak

Ok you guys owning the cam and wanting to help please get in private message with me.

k1w1

Nikfreak. PM me once you get a camera file dump done, and  I can hopefully share a few learnings from my slow (and seems like small) progress so far in teasing out the 70Ds secrets!  :D
EOS 7DII, EOS 70D, EF 70-200 f/2.8L USM, Sigma 150-600mm Sport zoom, EF-S 60 f/2.8 macro USM, EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF10-20mm wide angle.

nikfreak

From communication above please note that I don't own the cam.

Chucho

I found canon fonts in rom0, where in all other cameras the fonts can be found in rom1.
    #define BFNT_CHAR_CODES         0xF73753A0
    #define BFNT_BITMAP_OFFSET     0xF73786F4
    #define BFNT_BITMAP_DATA        0xF737BA48
most likely the fonts are copy into ram from the address above. from function 0xFF4FA7F8 it looks like its getting fonts data from ram offset 0x9DD20
still have to figure out the right ram offset

***edit
confirmed address
function 0xFF4FA804 loads offset 0x9DD20 from ram gets pointer to stack on offset 0x934390

RAM:0093436C         
                0x9343B8
                0x934390
                0x28
                0xF7375390   <-- "HCanonGothic"
                0xFFD49F03
                0x93434C
                0x934398
                0x14
RAM:00934390                 
                0x93436C
                0x9343B8
                0x934384
                0x9343D0
                0x38
                0x92D320
                0xFF4FBCAC
                0xFF4FBE20
                0xFF4FBE6C
                0xFF4FBDF4
                0x934390
                0x93436C
                0x940028
                0xF740BAEC <-- "CanonMonospace"
                0xFFD49F03
                0x934398
                0x93440C
                0x3C
                0xFFD49F1D

nikfreak

working on it. This one has lots of similarities with 6D  ;D

nikfreak

Ok this is where I got today with QEMU:

[DebugMsg] (129,3) @@@ dwHdmiPhysicalConnect = 0(964)
[DebugMsg] (138,3) Variangle State 1
[DebugMsg] (138,3) HotPlug WifiSetting = 0
[DebugMsg] (138,3) CreateTask Master End
[DebugMsg] (141,3) emSlaveChangeCBR : AUTO_POWEROFF (1)
[DebugMsg] (141,3) emSlaveChangeCBR : UILOCK (0x0)

8) 8)

Dns

Hope..... Finger crossed :)
Canon 70D | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 Vc | Canon 50mm 1.8 and The Magic Lantern :)

inestima

I have a 70d if I can help in any way. No experience with the coding I've seen here- is it C#?

FotoGraphr

Quote from: nikfreak on October 07, 2014, 04:34:29 PM
Ok this is where I got today with QEMU:

[DebugMsg] (129,3) @@@ dwHdmiPhysicalConnect = 0(964)
[DebugMsg] (138,3) Variangle State 1
[DebugMsg] (138,3) HotPlug WifiSetting = 0
[DebugMsg] (138,3) CreateTask Master End
[DebugMsg] (141,3) emSlaveChangeCBR : AUTO_POWEROFF (1)
[DebugMsg] (141,3) emSlaveChangeCBR : UILOCK (0x0)

8) 8)

So does this mean that ML is actively being worked on, if so that's fantastic! I'd love to get even a few of the ML features on my 70D it would release me from the awful constraints of the standard FW! This is fantastic news if you are working on it! Fingers crossed and thank you :)

fletch_cinebootcamps

re: 70D
Hi.  I'm the emmy award-wining DP "justshootme" referred to.  We're finishing a documentary of cranberry harvest in Oregon and the 70D proves itself to be light years ahead of other cameras in the doc style shooting.  Instant focus both through the touch screen and AF button enables a doc cameraperson to keep up with the action and be in focus.  Only downside for me is the noise that begins to appears at ISO 800-1000.  So if and when ML takes off the shackles of the 70D it will be without a doubt the best for the street (outside-the-studio, no focus puller) filmmaker. 

Does anyone know what bit rate the 70D's capable of processing and what bit rate would be required to output ML raw video off the sensor to the card?  I read sometime back on the ML website that the 70D never would be capable of ML because it's processor couldn't handle the bit rate.

(And just to finish my findings on focus - The GH4 takes 3.5 seconds to find focus. The Sony a7s takes longer and does that disgusting creeping in on the final mark which by that time is now out of focus.  Focus first.   That's the priority of the cameraperson. The 70D's a dream to use in a fast0-unfolding scene.  I'm going on about this because so many "experts" jump over the primary responsibility of the cinematographer so they can talk about how new cameras can shoot 4K or at insanely high ISOs.  What does it matter if the shot's out of focus.  The 70D is the quiet king of the hill.  The only flaw is the sensor.  For fast focus, the 70 D is king. Please see this video to see how it performs: 
  http://youtu.be/zzkGf8tTa1M.

Yuppa

1. Sony shooters only care about shadow detail and dynamic range.  Focus--so passé!

2. The sensor/processor of the camera isn't the issue but the write speed of the SD card.  I believe the ONLY body capable of FULL HD RAW is the 5dM3 (CF).  The 70D shares the same SD capabilities of the 6D (among others) of 40 MB/s (unless I'm mistaken), so you might go there

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5530.msg37766#msg37766

to see what advice they can give you (for when ML comes to the 70D, of course).

P.S. There's a chart that shows all the current capabilities of the bodies running ML --> here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.0.
When you care more about capturing DATA, as opposed to WONDERMENT, you've lost your creative SOUL.

fletch_cinebootcamps

Thanks, Yuppa.  So do we have to wait for the 70D Mark II?

Fletch