[7D] Broken EXFAT + booton/bootoff fir?

Started by 1%, September 19, 2013, 11:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

Komputerbay is telling me that 64gb cards should work with exfat on 7D. In my experience its not working and telling me to reformat the card.

To bootflag the camera I used the booton/bootoff first... they are from a previous firmware version and are huge for an installer. I also remember exfat support being broken at some point a long time ago in ML.

Anyone remember why and what the fix was? One of the perks of this camera is that it supports files > 4gb. If the installer is breaking support a new one has to be made and the damage undone.... Exfat strings ARE in the firmware. I assumed it only worked for 128gb cards but I have no such card and no way to test.

What are your experiences.

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on September 19, 2013, 11:12:56 PMI also remember exfat support being broken at some point a long time ago in ML.

You're talking specifically of the 7d and the ability to write >4gb files? Is this only possible on the 7d, or also on other models that support exfat like the 60d? At least installing & running ml on my 60d and a 32gb card formatted with exfat showed no problems.

1%

Didn't check on H264... but raw files count too. All the exfat SD cameras record sans file spitting.

britom

Tried disabling bootflag with bootoff.bsdiff from pelican patched over the 7d000110.fir. Bootflag is off. Formated to exfat on windows but the camera didn't recognize.

Is there some way of reinstalling the 2.0.3 firmware? maybe using an older eos utility like the one that let us downgrade? Maybe there exfat cards will work.

BTW i'm using a 32gb transcend 400x

EDIT: Im going to try downgrading to 1.0.9 and then upgrading again to 2.0.3... is there any precaution that i should take?

EDIT 2: No success, still the same.
7D Builds with RAW support: http://bit.ly/14Llzda

1%

arrinkiiii

Sadly i don't have 128gb card... but i think ted ramasola can try this  :D

Yfripp

I tried formatting my 128Gb Komputerbay CF Card as ExFat in both Windows and Mac OS X and it cannot be read in my 7D.

Once formatted back to Fat32 it works fine

1%

Yfripp

Unless I'm doing something wrong.

I believe Exfat support is broken.

Pelican

Quote from: 1% on September 20, 2013, 01:25:05 PM
So then exfat support is broken?

I think it has never worked on 7D...
I saw the strings in the fw but there are a lot of garbage too, so it doesn't mean so much.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

1%

Komputerbay keeps saying it should work. Decompiling the exfat functions there doesn't appear anything wrong with them.  (there are functions like mount exfat, etc)

They sent me benchmark screenshots but I have no way to see the fs type, they say its exfat.

mucher

I know nothing about the DryOS, but the Linux built-in the file systems into its kernel or build it as a module, and my wildest guess is that the DryOS is also like this, so to mount it, I blindly believe, you need to add the module to the kernel first.  8)

1%

It is running when checking what FS the card is. Tests for Fat12/fat16, fat32 and exfat... but the exfat test must be failing.