Does higher Bitrate improve colour correction in post production?

Started by hernanpatane, September 15, 2013, 08:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hernanpatane

Hi there! I have a Canon 60D and I wanted to know if setting a higher Bitrate would improve the colour correction process. I'm sorry but I couldn't find the answer for this anywhere...

deleted.account

Depends what you're feeding in and compressing. The old adage garbage in garbage out. You need to test and decide for yourself if its worth doing it on your 60D.

Its one of those topics discussed repeatedly and a search of the web should give you plenty to read. :-) You could also search the web regarding compression to get the fundementals.

deletedAcc.0021

I believe it does.  I've been messing around with higher bitrates and different GOP settings.  I especially notice the difference in post when recording at a bitrate of say 85 mbps and GOP 3, then upres into either prores or cineform.  It seems I get a lot more latitude in post color correcting.

Still not sure if the small gains in color or sharpness are worth the extra time and file sizes generated ... but its fun to play with.  Kinda like working with raw, not really usable for commercial work from the 600d, but its a blast for personal stuff.

Y3llow, I've read your post on the subject in the ML vimeo group (I believe those were your comments), and found them very interesting, which is what got me into testing the higher bitrates and uprezzing.

bnvm

Yes and no, higher bit rates will give less compression artifacts and a little more latitude for post production. Sometimes when you try to push compressed footage too far you will start seeing the blocky compression artifacts that may have not been visible before. It is much easier to remove noise than compression artifacts.

It will not give you anymore dynamic range so you won't have anywhere near the same amount of latitude as raw.