Sensor cleaning module

Started by Greg, September 11, 2013, 03:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsnfs

what's the different between this and build-in?

g3gg0

as the video shows, it repeats the cleaning process n times as you will never remove all dust with just one run.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

ItsMeLenny

I googled to see how the sensor cleaning actually works and it turns out (according to an answer on a page):
" three wombles are released on command that move across picking up the detritus "

Greg

It is not 100% effective.
The best solution, sensor cleaning using cotton buds - https://www.google.pl/search?q=cotton+buds&source=lnms&tbm=isch
You have to be careful.

Marsu42

Quote from: g3gg0 on March 29, 2014, 01:19:23 PM
as the video shows, it repeats the cleaning process n times as you will never remove all dust with just one run.

Which brings me to the question I've asked myself before: Why does Canon only do one short shake, is there any danger in doing it repeatedly?

Btw imho this is the best cleaning method, a lot of people on CR use it and I also do though w/o the butterfly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRW9AmDPqr0

dmilligan

Quote from: Marsu42 on March 29, 2014, 09:22:32 PM
Which brings me to the question I've asked myself before: Why does Canon only do one short shake, is there any danger in doing it repeatedly?

I think the idea is that it's kind of 'preventive'. It just does one little shake but it does that every time you turn the camera on or off.

Steven

Cotton Buds can scratch your sensor. Believe me, it happened to me...

engardeknave

I made a tiny squeegee-like implement with suede on the end. Very much like the kind from which Canon L pouches are made. (Didn't actually cut up an L pouch.) It's for dry use. Extremely effective, no streaks, no scratches.

Audionut

Quote from: Marsu42 on March 29, 2014, 09:22:32 PM

The procedure requires a mechanical actuation.  As with all things mechanical, they wear with time.
I have no idea what the rated lifespan of the part is.  Nor do I have any idea, if the part is replaced with a shutter replacement.

Greg

Quote from: Steven on March 29, 2014, 10:34:21 PM
Cotton Buds can scratch your sensor. Believe me, it happened to me...

I used a wet sensor swab from ebay. They do not clean the sensor...
I've used a few times cotton buds of the 500D. This gives the best effect.

before:

after china sensor swab:

after cotton buds :

Marsu42

Quote from: Greg on March 30, 2014, 01:59:24 PM
I've used a few times cotton buds of the 500D. This gives the best effect.

Lensrentals say that wet cleaning is fine if it works, but if not you're might make things worse ... that's why they advise dry cleaning through successive/iterative different steps.

Levas

:)

@Greg

Do you think it's possible to activate the sensor cleaning module while reading out the sensor ?

The idea is, in (raw) video mode, the sensor cleaning could possibly act as a anti aliasing filter while recording...
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12043.0 

::)
If you could manage to activate sensor cleaning during the capture of a photo(or video) we could see the effect it has on the final image.
Since nobody has an idea if the effect is strong enough to work as an AA-filter for video...

ansius

On ontinuing the discussion on vibrating sensor while recording, there might be even some other benefits, because the idea is not new, there is a Aaton camera that does it, but for different reason. Reason being the temporial resolution, which has been there in film cinema, because grain never is in the same place, so while the film running it looks more detailed, than one still frame, but a regular sensor pixel place is fixed thus, apparent resolution does not change.  AATON Penelope Digital does jiggle the sensor frame to frame, to have the same effect.

Even tough this would probably kill the cleaning motor, it would be interesting to see the comparison results, it would be even worth getting an old outdated camera just for this test.
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

Greg

It does not work when Live View is activated.

Levas

Do you know the reason why it won't work when live view is activated ?
-Software blocked by canon, so maybe a way around it ?
Or
-Blocked by hardware design, in other words, impossible ?

Can you trigger it while taking a picture (without live view) ?
If you can manage to take a picture with sensor cleaning activated, we can see the amount of blur effect and see if it's worth it too invest more time in it.

Cause it's possible that the effect on the final image is way too big, or way too small that it won't work as an anti aliasing filter or work as random-movie-noise-generator.

barepixels

can someone share the mo file.  I have 5D2 if it makes a different.  thnx
5D2 + nightly ML

Greg

I came back to this module.
It looks like:
PROP_ACTIVE_SWEEP_STATUS = 1 // activates the sensor cleaning, without shutter
PROP_ACTIVE_SWEEP_STATUS = 4 // activates the sensor cleaning, with shutter (shutter killer)

I wonder if this has some effect.
We need someone with a dirty sensor. ;)