DaVinci Resolve Roundtrip with Multiple Cameras

Started by Tony Mac, September 05, 2013, 04:15:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Mac

I'm running into an issue when using multiple cameras shooting RAW and RawMagic to convert the files to CinemaDNG, I end up with files shot by different cameras with the same file name. For example I might have a clip named M30-1649 from two cameras. This causes issues when Resolve tires to relink the media from an XML.

I tried renaming the folders that the DNGs are contained in, and unfortunately that doesn't solve the issue because Resolve reads the clip name from the individual DNG files. I might have a folder containing DNGs named "Shot_1", but if the files inside are still named "M30-1649_00000" Resolve reads the clip name as "M30-1649".

Is there anyway around this besides re-naming all the individual DNGs in each shot folder?

PlayIt

try to rename the raw files before converting to dng. Just a thought.
5d markII

Tony Mac

Quote from: PlayIt on April 07, 1970, 04:46:51 PM
try to rename the raw files before converting to dng. Just a thought.

Is there a conversion app that lets you rename the raw files? RawMagic doesn't let me do that I don't think.

hunchen

try working with reel names in davinci. there's n option in the project settings.

mageye

With a name like 'Tony Mac' I would guess that you are a fellow hackintosher ;). Greetings ;D (I could be totally wrong of course ::))

I use a little program on the Mac called Rename Now Platinum it makes tasks like this very easy.

http://download.cnet.com/Rename-Now-Platinum/3000-2248_4-75000347.html

Also a FREE one for Windows: http://www.advancedrenamer.com/download (if you are that way inclined :-\)

In fact there are lots of little applications to deal with that kind of task. (of course you could probably find out the UNIX commands for that too but that would involve using the dreaded terminal ??? :o)
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

kndrckn

Hey Tony, I've found using Apple Automator to be a pretty simple and quick solution. You can build a two step workflow that asks for multiple Finder items (files and folders) then renames the selected files sequentially. I have been doing this to my .RAWs before conversion using card numbers as a manually-input prefix. Has worked very well for me so far!

Tony Mac

Quote from: mageye on September 05, 2013, 03:20:21 PM
With a name like 'Tony Mac' I would guess that you are a fellow hackintosher ;). Greetings ;D (I could be totally wrong of course ::))

I use a little program on the Mac called Rename Now Platinum it makes tasks like this very easy.

http://download.cnet.com/Rename-Now-Platinum/3000-2248_4-75000347.html

Also a FREE one for Windows: http://www.advancedrenamer.com/download (if you are that way inclined :-\)

In fact there are lots of little applications to deal with that kind of task. (of course you could probably find out the UNIX commands for that too but that would involve using the dreaded terminal ??? :o)

Quote from: kndrckn on September 07, 2013, 09:16:00 PM
Hey Tony, I've found using Apple Automator to be a pretty simple and quick solution. You can build a two step workflow that asks for multiple Finder items (files and folders) then renames the selected files sequentially. I have been doing this to my .RAWs before conversion using card numbers as a manually-input prefix. Has worked very well for me so far!

I can use Automator to do it, but I would have to run that workflow for each individual clip, since I need to rename the actual DNG frames themselves. Unless there's a way to automate that as well? Sequentially renaming files within multiple folders?

(and no relation to tonymacx86, my real name just happens to be Tony Mac)

mageye

@Tony

HA! I shouldn't jump to conclusions! Anyway I don't really quite understand that you asked for help and then you are given help and for some reason that help hasn't solved your problem?

I will thank you actually because the problem you have is a problem I faced and solved it using an automatic renaming application (yes the one I mentioned but any one would do).

So thanks Tony ;D
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

blabberlicious

Wth resolve 10 when I make proxies and bring in the edited xml back in from Premiere, it doesn't relink them, – 'failed to link because 'timecode extens do not mate any clip in media pool'

It was working in resolve 9

I have 'Assist using Reel names from
  • Source clip pathname' checked

Frustrating! 

I'm on a mac

Any help appreciated