Dual ISO Raw Video processing on Mac?

Started by SuperJackRabbit, August 28, 2013, 04:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khurra

hey yah!

when i download it, and unzip. i get the cr2hdr app.

I moved that app to applications folder.

Here are my workflow and error messages:

take test file of dual iso RAW shot on canon 650d, unpackage raw to dng using raw2dng executable.

change file names of .dng to end with .CR2.

open cr2hdr add files. Error:

Input file : 1.CR2
sh: exiftool: command not found sh: dcraw: command not found sh: dcraw: command not found Error: dcraw output is not a valid PGM file Logfile    : 1.txt

___

i then opened terminal and installed dcraw using macports "sudo apt-get install dcraw"

macports installed it, i can find dcraw and its components in HD/opt/local/bin/dcraw

so im not exactly sure what im doing wrong.

Thank you for your help! would LOVE to shoot some dual iso.

khurra

update: read the note from a.d. like actually READ it and realized i was missing components.

it works for me now!!

thanks everyone for all your hard work and help.

geodorno

Yes it works, with renaming to "CR2"...

here is an example:
https://vimeo.com/74517601

still got dead pixels, any tips for this?
the dynamic range is incredible!!!
and a lot of moire, aliasing artifacts... (I realized that i did a great moire test, too with all the small details in the walls...

thanks
---   keep it magic   ---

a1ex

Can you upload a CR2?

Try using a less aggressive setting (100/400 maybe?)

mkrjf

I have used the 'process' referenced here and elsewhere for DualIso 5DMk3 latest build and compared to plain ML Raw and also camera jpeg

If you look at some sample output from a low light test (my kitchen with a few practicals):
https://plus.google.com/photos/109692674038873146393/albums/5924621701487097649
Sorry, I have not labeled all the photos, it would be obvious from the file names. Anyway - I see lots of banding in both raw and dual iso raw much more than in a pic with the camera. I tried to pick an optimal exposure range that would not clip the white toaster.
Looking at the pics in google plus the banding is not so obvious, but looking at original output at HD resolution it reminds me of old 256 color graphics cards :(
Is this the expected result? It would not be usable, I think. Also - does DualISO only provide big improvement for non-optimal exposure?
For the sunset test with June build I only noticed banding in the sky if I pushed too hard in grading - not right out of the process (raw*/cdr2hdr)

I have not tried raw2cdng as suggested by redder yet. Does that support CDR?
Thx
Mike

a1ex

These shots are not processed, you must postprocess them with cr2hdr.

www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139

mkrjf

I did post process.
I included before and after as well as raw video of same scene with no dual ISO.
There are probably too many images to look at - I will simplify and repost.
But basically jpeg from camera shows no banding and ml raw and dual ISO show banding. Dual ISO does not show much improvement in dynamic range from raw video (no dual ISO).
But like I said I certainly could have done something wrong. There are no problems with latest version of ml or the 'process' described for dualiso on Mac?
Thx

Throck

Hi, brand new user here.  I'm still getting the,

"Error: dcraw output is not a valid PGM file"

I have downloaded and installed:

OSX_cr2hrd.zip (and run the dcraw & exiftool installer)
&
OSX_cr2hdr_app.zip

Am I still missing something?  I'm on a 7D and OSX 10.9

---EDIT---

I didn't have alternate frames only enabled.  You'll get this error if the .CR2 isn't a dual ISO shot.

kyrobb

So everything seems to go well when I post-process on my Mac. I have cr2hdr with dcraw and exiftool. I convert the raw file to dngs with RawMagic and then drag into cr2hdr. This is the response.

Input file : M05-1135_00003.dng
1 image files updated cr2hdr: a post processing tool for Dual ISO images Last update: 2f4e2df on 2013-12-02 17:45:36 UTC by alex: cr2hdr: fix DNG compression under Windows Active options: --amaze-edge : use a temporary demosaic step (AMaZE) followed by edge-directed interpolation (default) --cs2x2 : apply 2x2 chroma smoothing in noisy and aliased areas (default) Input file : M05-1135_00003.CR2 Camera : Canon EOS 5D Mark III Full size : 1504 x 630 Active area : 1504 x 630 White level : 12500 Black borders : N/A ISO pattern : dBBd RGGB Noise levels : 8.00 8.00 8.00 8.00 (14-bit) ISO difference : 4.06 EV (1664) Black delta : 32.43 Dynamic range : 10.35 (+) 10.35 => 14.41 EV (in theory) Looking for hot/cold pixels... Hot pixels : 8 AMaZE interpolation ... Amaze took 0.32 s Edge-directed interpolation... Semi-overexposed: 10.70% Deep shadows : 68.15% Horizontal stripe fix... Full-res reconstruction... ISO overlap : 3.3 EV (approx) Half-res blending... Chroma smoothing... Building alias map... Filtering alias map... Smoothing alias map... Final blending... Noise level : 8.00 (16-bit), ideally 8.00 Dynamic range : 12.35 EV (cooked) Output file : M05-1135_00003.DNG
THE END

But after this, my files cannot be read by after effects, or any other program for that matter. What am I doing wrong?

kyrobb

Well I've played some more, mostly using Auto ETTR linked to dual iso, but I've used Adobe DNG Converter to make my files readable by Camera Raw, which seems to work. I'm now getting pink frames and a flickering exposure, and no noticeable impact on my dynamic range. Thoughts?

Danne

You could try MLVmystic for dual iso files. Settings in there does a decent job.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10466.0

kyrobb

A step in the right direction thanks! I'm noticing the dynamic range increase without flickering using Mystic. Unfortunately, now all bright areas are turning pink and pixelated. Odd...