6D digital zoom, crop mode

Started by evropej, August 26, 2013, 04:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evropej

So I finally got a copy of ML working on my 6D and I was eager to see if the movie crop mode or digital zoom functions were enabled and I was disappointed.

Has anyone figured out how to do this or am I missing something?

Thanks

1%

6D has no crop mode, if you enable it like on 650D/M/600D you get a nice soft brick.

evropej

No chance that this is something ML is working on?

1%

10% chance to do it somehow with the registers. The mode isn't there or in 5DIII.

evropej

1%

Crop that they talk about is just plain old 5X zoom... real crop will record H264 @ the crop. The 5X is working, the real crop is impossible within the context of actual canon FW.

evropej

I have searched and googled but have not figured out how to do the 5x. Im a newbie so if you could help out with this, it would be great.

I use this mode (digital zoom if you will) for moon shots or just distant object that I want to keep in the field of view. I know there is information loss but well worth it keeping things focused and framed correctly.

evropej

Anyone know how to digitally zoom? Looks like there is a 5x function but I am lost trying to figure out how to enable it.

a1ex

Ever used a Canon camera without ML?

evropej

Yes, I have a t3i and digital and crop both are available. I saw many posts about ml and the features it unlocks or creates but cant seem to figure things out. How do you do it lol?

extremelypoorfilmaker

Quote from: 1% on August 26, 2013, 04:03:56 PM
6D has no crop mode, if you enable it like on 650D/M/600D you get a nice soft brick.

Well, with hindsight in mind, you just reminded me at when i not knowingly pressed the zoom button while recording RAW a few months ago.. After the camera froze, the swift battery removal tip saved my 6D from bricking, i have to assume now! :)

RTLdan

This is a little off topic, and I have not used the search function, so hopefully this has not been asked to death...but is there a way to get 1.5x zoom instead of 3,5,and 10x?

3x and up lose too much FOV for my tastes, but 1.5x would approximate aps-c/35mm academy.
This might be a good compromise zoom level for raw video.

Thoughts?
Thanks!
Daniel

Audionut

Not without custom line skipping/pixel binning.  And that would be much to slow while trying to record raw.  So, no.

RTLdan

Audionut,
Thank you. Good to know!
-Daniel