[CanonC100] Can you make a ML firmware for C100?

Started by drivetheone, August 25, 2013, 02:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drivetheone

or isn't possible? :(

because i'm deciding about buying a cinecamera professional for Video, Commercial, Events..etc...and so, i've choosen C100 instead of 5DMkIII for both targets that i've to do...

Now, i'm thinking...but it's possible to hack my C100 (or to have slow-mo/422rec)? :)

I hope it.

ps: this is an another special post for Pelican :)
F

Walter Schulz

It doesn't need Pelican to kill your hopes. If you do a search on this topic you will find this:
The developers are adamant about keeping their brains of the professional stuff. This includes all Canon EOS 1D cameras and all C-stuff. Period.

And ML is not firmware. It's just a program running on top of Canon's OS.

Ciao, Walter

drivetheone

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 25, 2013, 02:58:19 AM
It doesn't need Pelican to kill your hopes. If you do a search on this topic you will find this:
The developers are adamant about keeping their brains of the professional stuff. This includes all Canon EOS 1D cameras and all C-stuff. Period.

And ML is not firmware. It's just a program running on top of Canon's OS.

Ciao, Walter

for respect to products pro? (1D and C team)

are you sure about "Period"? :D

F

Walter Schulz

As I said: Do a search, you haven't to believe me.

drivetheone

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 25, 2013, 11:51:51 AM
As I said: Do a search, you haven't to believe me.

I've done it but I don't find anything about this argument or this thing that you've said.

ps: Anche io sono Italiano :D

1%

1. None of us have a c100/c300

2. Canon will be pissed when C100 becomes a C500.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: drivetheone on August 25, 2013, 07:36:43 PMI've done it but I don't find anything about this argument or this thing that you've said.

Go to forum "New ports" and look for the headlines.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=4050.msg28332#msg28332
Reply 4 from g3gg0.

Ciao, Walter

drivetheone

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 25, 2013, 08:25:58 PM
Go to forum "New ports" and look for the headlines.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=4050.msg28332#msg28332
Reply 4 from g3gg0.

Ciao, Walter

okay, strictly "NO" from a member's dev  :-X

Thank you,
Bye.
F

zuzukasuma

well, since you haven't looked deep enough on the net, here are some results about touching 1D X will kill magic lantern development forever results.

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/01/canon-legal-team-modify-hack-firmware-1d-x-1d-c/

http://www.eoshd.com/content/9432/1d-x-has-traces-of-1d-c-firmware-but-magic-lantern-will-never-touch-1d-series-as-canon-threatens-potential-hackers-with-legal-trouble

http://petapixel.com/2013/05/31/canon-1d-c-firmware-update-is-service-center-only-has-photogs-wondering/

Canon has to keep some stuff secret. I'm sure 5D Mark III and 1D X have similarities (5D mark III has digic5+, 1D X has 2 of them, 5D mark III already shooting over 2K RAW at a decent speed, 1D X has 2 cpus for that thing.) if & when a1ex or someone else tries to port some of the same codes to 1D series I'm sure canon's legal team already watching this forum to take action against any further development.

I'd love to have a Dual ISO kicker 4K capable RAW camera for $6800 though.

@%1, I'm still laughing for your no.2 comment :D
in a complicated relationship with eos m.

mucher

When C100 becomes C500, all I can imagine is hearing some 4 letter words from Canon...... ;D

zuzukasuma

Quote from: mucher on September 04, 2013, 02:06:47 PM
When C100 becomes C500, all I can imagine is hearing some 4 letter words from Canon...... ;D

I think we can ask nicely to Canon for reverse engineering their cameras. but, wait I think 5D Mark III shots better videos than C100 & C300 with Dual ISO and RAW add-on now :))

lorinczzoltan

However, if those who want to pay for development C100? even so we can not get a C100 with MagicLantern? :-)

Thanks
Marius

Stedda

this is a quote from a DEV... this is not a "maybe" or "usually not", but a strict no. sorry.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

nick.p

Pretty much they don't want to jeopardise their current work for the masses of dslr users just to benefit a few select users and risk legal action.

feureau

You know, there have been several similar questions regarding the C-series and the 1D series, and ML will not touch then, and explicitly declares so soon after canon officials mentioned they would sic the lawyers on those who tinker with the 1D cameras.

That being said, ML is open source.

I wonder if people who could afford these bodies can, you know, put their money in a pot and hire someone who knows ARM programming to hack away on these cameras.

Just a thought.

Andy600

I can't see anyone wanting to risk the much pricier Canon cameras. Pro's have a different mindset. If they need more/better features they just get better gear. Canon would have to be totally onboard and it's clear that's not gonna happen.

Having said that, I'd love to see Magic Lantern make it's way on to Black Magic Cameras. I wonder if BMD might be susceptible to the idea? Grant Petty seems like an open minded chap and champions low budget film makers. Wishfull thinking!?  ::)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

SDX

There is no maybe or wishful thinking here. Just a NO!

The pro model users are not part of the ML target group, they are expensive to mess around with and we already have quite some work to keep all current EOS models supported.

This applies to BM, C, 1D and the others.
If someone wants hacks for those, it would be a totally new project. And not be called ML nor developed by the same group of devs.

Chucho

Quote from: feureau on September 09, 2013, 07:54:58 PM
You know, there have been several similar questions regarding the C-series and the 1D series, and ML will not touch then, and explicitly declares so soon after canon officials mentioned they would sic the lawyers on those who tinker with the 1D cameras.

That being said, ML is open source.

I wonder if people who could afford these bodies can, you know, put their money in a pot and hire someone who knows ARM programming to hack away on these cameras.

Just a thought.

C100,C300,C500 don't use arm processor they use m32r processor. You have to rewrite and reverse engineer everything. Take this with a grain of salt but I was told the new 1dc firmware update will update the cipher.bin. *again I was told about the 1dc by someone with a 1dc that's going to send it in for the updated* Personally i don't believe it.

cpreston

As a C100 owner, I can say that I don't really miss not having Magic Lantern on it.  It's firmware already covers most of the issues that Magic Lantern fixes for DSLR's trying to shoot video.  I am far more interested in having a fully tested and stable release for my 6D and EOS-M, irregardless of the hype around RAW video.  I feel completely at a loss when trying to shoot with a DSLR without Magic Lantern and I don't know how 1D-C and 1D-X users manage.  The only reason I shoot with Canon at this point is due to Magic Lantern and I will never understand why Canon ever made vague threats against the ML team.

feureau

Quote from: Chucho on September 09, 2013, 09:45:24 PM
C100,C300,C500 don't use arm processor they use m32r processor. You have to rewrite and reverse engineer everything. Take this with a grain of salt but I was told the new 1dc firmware will update the cipher.bin.

What's cipher.bin

1%

Probably they are changing the encryption used on the firmware. Let them keep their under performing 1DC.

arrinkiiii

zuzukasuma

Quote from: 1% on September 11, 2013, 07:11:13 PM
Probably they are changing the encryption used on the firmware. Let them keep their under performing 1DC.

its about time, they're changing it in every 3 years or so.