Magic Lantern RAW - 1.2.0 [Windows, Linux, Mac]

Started by TheUnkn0wn, August 22, 2013, 05:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheUnkn0wn

Magic Lantern RAW - 1.2.0

A simple standalone tool for converting magic lantern RAW video files into DNG or TIF sequences.

Features
- Multi-Threading (makes use of those CPU cores you have)
- Using the Adobe DNG SDK (full DNG support)
- Directly convert to TIF
- Compression (compress your DNG's using Lossless JPEG)
- Force Linear (rebuilds DNG with demosaic CFA data, aimed for use with the 650D/700D since dcraw can't handle their DNG's correctly, I recommend you leave this disabled unless you have a 650D or 700D)

Version
1.0.0 - Initial Release
1.1.0 - Compiled statically, modified multi-threading
1.1.3 - Fixed memory leak
1.2.0 - 16-bit TIF, fixed colour issues

Download
WINDOWS
LINUX
MAC

PlayIt

The Mac version doesn´t open in my mac pro running osx 10.6.8
5d markII

1%

Linux wants the QT libraries so yes, cook them in.

TheUnkn0wn

Quote from: PlayIt on August 22, 2013, 05:08:54 AM
The Mac version doesn´t open in my mac pro running osx 10.6.8

Thanks, I'll update it tomorrow (it means re-building Qt statically which is a pain on a virtual machine) I need sleep.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: TheUnkn0wn on August 22, 2013, 05:14:59 AM
Thanks, I'll update it tomorrow (it means re-building Qt statically which is a pain on a virtual machine) I need sleep.

By god you are the unknown from those COD hacks. Your a bloody legend!

ilguercio

Very nice, thank you for the effort.
I will download and test the Windows version tomorrow.
:)
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

3pointedit

Drops mouse - runs to download!
;D

Thanks so much.

edit:
Woohoo, windows works on crappy old XP pro!

Wish I hadn't deleted all my old RAW files now :P

edit2:
after selecting the RAW file I accidentally chose DNG export, so I pressed cancel, on choose destination window, but I got a repeating runtime error. Escape killed app and error.
550D on ML-roids

3pointedit

I find that my TIF frames have a lot of false color at high contrast edges and moire, is this intrinsic to the RAW file or a transcoding issue?

Would more recent ML builds solve that or should I pursue a DNG workflow? I find that the TIFs are more readily readble in other apps though.

PS I love the portable nature of these decoders, they are simple and easy to move.

550D
Win XP
550D on ML-roids

Rewind

Windows version is unstable by now, it sometimes outputs less frames than raw file consists of (with no compression option selected), sometimes there is some kind of tearing on several frames
(it looks even like a wrong frame numbering on playback)

Francis Frenkel

Hello from France,

It works well, but on Tiff I got some corrupt images, with horizontal lines...
Same problem with DNGs : frames looks correct when I just look at them one by one but when I play the sequence : frames jump's, horizontal deformation.....

Canon 5D Mark2
Windows 7 - 64b.

Excellent idea !
Thank you so much !

Francis
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

Midphase

Any chance of .mlv format being implemented with this?   ;D

TheUnkn0wn

Thanks for your feedback, I'll look into everything today. You've managed to find things I never would of testing on my own.

mageye

On Mac OS X 10.8.4 I get this error:

Magic Lantern RAW - 1.0.0 cannot be opened because of a problem.

Check with the developer to make sure Magic Lantern RAW - 1.0.0 works with this version of OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and OS X.

Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple.
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

wheezl

Relevant info from OS X crash report:

QuoteApplication Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: /usr/local/Qt-5.1.0/lib/QtWidgets.framework/Versions/5/QtWidgets
  Referenced from: /Users/USER/Downloads/Magic Lantern RAW - 1.0.0.app/Contents/MacOS/GUI
  Reason: image not found

Looks like the Mac version doesn't include its own copy of Qt5.  Since it is a 322kb zip that is a pretty safe bet.  I'd try to install the package version but I already have Qt in my dev environment and have no more room on this pesky SSD.

arrinkiiii

Thank youuu for this. Will give a try and report as soon as possible.

Windows 7
64bits

togg

Quote from: wheezl on August 22, 2013, 01:55:50 PM
Relevant info from OS X crash report:

Looks like the Mac version doesn't include its own copy of Qt5.

Yup, same thing here.
Multi threading would be awesome, a time revolution!

chmee

@TheUnkn0wn asking gently, whats the benefit of your tool comparing to the other tools existing? with all due respect, better do some research/code in mlv, not raw.

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/RAW_Video#Programs_with_ML_raw_file_support

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

TheUnkn0wn

Quote from: chmee on August 22, 2013, 07:17:52 PM
@TheUnkn0wn asking gently, whats the benefit of your tool comparing to the other tools existing? with all due respect, better do some research/code in mlv, not raw.

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/RAW_Video#Programs_with_ML_raw_file_support

regards chmee

Read the features list, this is also multi-platform and standalone. Other tools require the ML 'raw2dng' tool and are merely a GUI for it. Currently the ML format isn't used, when it gets pushed to the branch I'll support it.

swinxx

hello. great.!!
is dual iso RAW conversion also implemented in that release?
thx for your effort.!!

greets. sw

chmee

(*) rawmagic & raw2cdng do not use raw2dng.
(*) compression is an advantage - practically a sizereduction of ~10% (max ~20%)?
(*) are your dng's supported by speedgrade?

(*) i didnt wanted to be impolite - but i dont see any real benefit beside the compression - and i honestly recommend, to invest the time into mlv. thats it.

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

TheUnkn0wn

Updated to 1.1.0, please test the changes?

Quote from: chmee on August 22, 2013, 10:57:38 PM
(*) rawmagic & raw2cdng do not use raw2dng.
(*) compression is an advantage - practically a sizereduction of ~10% (max ~20%)?
(*) are your dng's supported by speedgrade?

(*) i didnt wanted to be impolite - but i dont see any real benefit beside the compression - and i honestly recommend, to invest the time into mlv. thats it.

regards chmee

Benefits
- Multi-Threading = Faster conversion from RAW to DNG
- Uses the Adobe DNG SDK for DNG support = Adobe are the creators of the DNG format
- Compression = Lossless JPEG compression, smaller file sizes
- Force Linear = On certain cameras when using a RAW_TYPE that doesn't contain pink dots (650D/700D/EOS-M) the DNG's can't be read correctly by dcraw which means software like RAWTherapee cannot process them correctly. This corrects this issue.
- Standalone = Portable. Doesn't require a folder of files for it to work.

Why don't you download and test it, let me know what you think. When the new Magic Lantern format for RAW is finally released I will add support.

P.S : http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.0

QuoteThe first implementation is done and we can record in the new format.
post processing is still done with 'raw2dng' after converting the .mlv into the legacy .raw format using mlv_dump.

wheezl

Runs fine now on my machine  OS X 10.8.4

Prcoessed a raw file. I'm going to compare the output to rawmagic.

Update:  The output is quite different than RawMagic.

update2: Here are two example frames.  The output is similar wether I pick force linear or uncompressed/lossless.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l98j41n4i224at4/3aDsarFWzE

I made no effort to find a decent light :)

TheUnkn0wn

Quote from: wheezl on August 23, 2013, 12:06:07 AM
Runs fine now on my machine  OS X 10.8.4

Prcoessed a raw file. I'm going to compare the output to rawmagic.

Update:  The output is quite different than RawMagic.

update2: Here are two example frames.  The output is similar wether I pick force linear or uncompressed/lossless.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l98j41n4i224at4/3aDsarFWzE

I made no effort to find a decent light :)

Interesting, looks like raw-magic applies more contrast.

arrinkiiii

Test ML Raw in Canon 7D in Win7 64bits

Version 1.0.0

Work good in all options. With Force Linear checked it give's me some purple fringe but give's me more big files. More quality with Force Linear?

Version 1.1.0

Work good in all options. But in the dng's all the colors acts strange. The dng's look like they are grey, in some part of the frame or other colors look like they are smooge/ghost image/color. Difficult to explain, if needed i can post some examples.

------

Its possible to load more then one file and output automatic the folders for the several loaded raw files?

I like this piece of software. It's easy to operate and maybe need some more options for configurations. But for me is ideal, extract more quality as possible from the raw file and then i make proxys in after effects with the dng's.

EDIT:

If i compare one dng from raw2dng and other from ML Raw 1.0.0 looks that ML Raw saturate more. Opposite from the rawmagic.

ewinemiller

I couldn't get 1.1 of either the Mac or Windows version to work.

On Mac click process button, select RAW file from dialog, nothing happens.

On Windows, select File|Open, select RAW file from dialog, nothing happens. Click process, nothing happens.