[UNMAINTAINED] mlv2dng - A converter for the Magic Lantern RAW Video format v2.0

Started by gnarr, August 20, 2013, 09:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnarr

Since I don't want to hijack g3gg0's thread, I decided it was time to move this to a seperate topic.

Here is my mlv2dng converter. It is still work in progress, so there are features missing and it might be unstable.

What doesn't work / todo:
converting non 14 bit mlv to dng.
converting LZMA compressed files to dng.
converting dual iso mlv to dng.
more detailed error logging.
extracting audio.
exact frame time.

Usage is the same as with raw2dng for the moment:
mlv2dng.exe file.mlv [prefix]
=> will create prefix000000.dng, prefix000001.dng and so on.

Windows version:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3181048/mlv2dng.zip

Mac version:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3181048/mlv2dng_osx.zip

Linux version:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3181048/mlv2dng_linux.zip

Please report any errors here.

Source:
https://www.bitbucket.org/gnarr/mlv2dng

guentergunter

Great! And many thanks!

Can't wait to switch completely to the new format.
5D2 ML RAW + VAF-5D2b: http://vimeo.com/69350650

Danne

Nicely done. Works with older files as well. Saw your post in the other thread. Would be nice to have each rawfileconversion collected to separate folders rather than straight out next to the converter. You probably on it already. Good progress Gnarr

Canon eos m

Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

RenatoPhoto

Great contribution gnarr! 

Used it today without problems on:
1920x1080 at 29.97 fps
cropped video 1920x1080  29.97 fps
1600x560 at 60 fps
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

gnarr

So, how is mlv2dng working for everyone so far?
No bugs or crashes with current version? Is there something missing from the program that you need?

Danne

Toffifee

crwn_schlr

Anyone ever received this error message?

XXXX-iMac:~ username$ /Applications/mlv2dng /Users/username/Desktop/M26-0003.MLV
Illegal instruction: 4

gnarr

Quote from: crwn_schlr on August 26, 2013, 10:31:25 PM
Anyone ever received this error message?

XXXX-iMac:~ username$ /Applications/mlv2dng /Users/username/Desktop/M26-0003.MLV
Illegal instruction: 4

I will look into it. Can you try converting to legacy raw with mlv_dump and see if that works?

crwn_schlr

Quote from: gnarr on August 27, 2013, 01:27:14 AM
I will look into it. Can you try converting to legacy raw with mlv_dump and see if that works?

I'm on a mac, i tried mlv_dump through a VM but didn't have any success there either.

I think it's because I'm using OSX 10.7.5.

'Illegal instruction: 4' seems to be a terminal error where whatever tool your attempting to use isn't understood by the terminal, or something like that.

I could partition my drive and run osx 10.8 from it (with out having to pay) but I only wanna do that if it's a last resort.

Thanks for looking into it.

dubzeebass

I just renamed a segmented (SD-card) file from .M00 to .MLV and when I try to render with both MLV2DNG I get Segmentation Fault: 11.

Ignore that - I just saw that it rendered .MLV and .M00 at the same time.

GREAT WORK!

Sky_cleaner

What  about mlv2dng WITH conversion to Apple Prores? It is possible?

jsoucy

i got this error too on a mac: "Illegal instruction: 4". and can we get a drag n drop application it will be simple :)

Toffifee

@Sky

Do you mean like a proxy?
Why would you want to make a ProRes proxy?

And if you're thinking of it as a main conversion, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of shooting RAW as you cannot access any of the data without programs such as ACR or Resolve?

Sky_cleaner

@Toffifee
I mean like a "raw2dng.app for Mac" - it make a .mov file in ProRes 444.  For my purpose it`s very good

fpena06

Worked fine before. Not sure what happened but now I get this error on both windows and osx :S

./mlv2dng M27-2212.MLV test
...std::exception

fpena06

arrinkiiii

Quote from: gnarr on August 24, 2013, 10:14:01 PM
So, how is mlv2dng working for everyone so far?
No bugs or crashes with current version?

For me everything works good in windows7 64bits / 7D

Quote from: gnarr on August 24, 2013, 10:14:01 PM
Is there something missing from the program that you need?

Out put folder, absolutely sure of that, translated in GUI  :D

gnarr

A new version is up for all platforms.

What is fixed:
Exact frame times (exact to a microsecond).
Exception handling improved.
all meta-data is now read and sorted before any dng's are written.

links are in first post.

Quote from: fpena06 on August 28, 2013, 04:54:39 AM
Worked fine before. Not sure what happened but now I get this error on both windows and osx :S

./mlv2dng M27-2212.MLV test
...std::exception

Thanks for providing the file :) It made debugging very easy.
What was happening is that your camera has electric leveling and it seems that g3gg0 has already implemented it into MLV. I have yet to include this in mlv2dng, and because I was handling missing headers in a stupid way, the program exited without printing the right error message.
Now the error handling has been fixed so that it should notify of missing headers and what the header ID is, without stopping conversion.

Quote from: Danne on August 25, 2013, 01:24:09 AM
How do I use the macversion? Drag and drop would be sweet :)
The "drag'n'drop" feature in windows is just windows being clever and automatically opening a terminal with correct parameters to run. On OsX you will have to use the terminal for now (or some Mac nerd can maybe help you.. I don't know anything about OsX).
on the terminal write:
./mlv2dng inputfile.mlv

Quote from: crwn_schlr on August 27, 2013, 02:29:43 AM
I'm on a mac, i tried mlv_dump through a VM but didn't have any success there either.

I think it's because I'm using OSX 10.7.5.

'Illegal instruction: 4' seems to be a terminal error where whatever tool your attempting to use isn't understood by the terminal, or something like that.

I could partition my drive and run osx 10.8 from it (with out having to pay) but I only wanna do that if it's a last resort.

Thanks for looking into it.
This sounds like a corrupted file since mlv_dump does not work either. Could you by any chance upload the file for me, so I can debug this?

Quote from: Sky_cleaner on August 27, 2013, 03:23:38 PM
What  about mlv2dng WITH conversion to Apple Prores? It is possible?
Everything is possible :) For now, it will be dng only.

Quote from: jsoucy on August 27, 2013, 06:15:19 PM
i got this error too on a mac: "Illegal instruction: 4". and can we get a drag n drop application it will be simple :)
Have you tried converting to legacy raw with mlv_dump?

fpena06

Quote from: gnarr on August 29, 2013, 01:34:26 AM
A new version is up for all platforms.

What is fixed:
Exact frame times (exact to a microsecond).
Exception handling improved.
all meta-data is now read and sorted before any dng's are written.

links are in first post.

Thanks for providing the file :) It made debugging very easy.
What was happening is that your camera has electric leveling and it seems that g3gg0 has already implemented it into MLV. I have yet to include this in mlv2dng, and because I was handling missing headers in a stupid way, the program exited without printing the right error message.
Now the error handling has been fixed so that it should notify of missing headers and what the header ID is, without stopping conversion.

Thank you very much. Program is working like a charm after disabling electronic leveling :)

g3gg0

Quote from: gnarr on August 29, 2013, 01:34:26 AM

hehe thats why i recommend just skipping unknown headers. (and printing a warning message at maximum)
there may come more stuff in future, like keypresses for tags or anything we dont know yet.
in this case the processing software should work just as it is designed for - with the known tags.

but thanks for providing this tool.
can you make the source code public? i.e. on bitbucket and we can merge it into ML source base with you as maintainer.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!