Can't find RAW video files on my PC

Started by Pii..., August 20, 2013, 06:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pii...

Hello everyone,
just got my first 1055x 128GB card and tried to record some raw video.
Everything has been fine until i tried to play with the files on my pc (Laptop i3, 8GB, Nvidia, Windows 7)
Connected the camera through original Canon USB cable and tried to access the files as usual (DCIM folder)
Have 2 cards visible and accessible. SD with CR2 files in DCIM folder and CF with nothing in DCIM folder. Can access and playback RAW files in Magic Lantern menu though.
Can't really understand the problem. Have even installed Canon RAW codec but it didn't help.
Have you got any idea what do I do wrong?
Thanks a lot!

CFP

You need a SD-Card reader to get the .RAW files from the card.

Pii...

Why would I need a card reader if I can access both cards through usb cable connected to the camera. I can see CR2 files too on CF card but still no RAW files.
Do I really need an extra card reader? If so is USB 2 still good enough?
Thanks

Pii...

g3gg0

Quote from: Pii... on August 21, 2013, 12:58:42 PM
:( No one had the same problem??
everyone has the same problem. it is a very common problem with the same answer everytime one asks:
"dont use the camera to transfer files, get a card reader instead"
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Pelican

Quote from: Pii... on August 20, 2013, 06:48:25 PM
Why would I need a card reader if I can access both cards through usb cable connected to the camera. I can see CR2 files too on CF card but still no RAW files.
Do I really need an extra card reader? If so is USB 2 still good enough?
Thanks
You've got your answer in 18 minutes. Why you don't accept that?
If you know better, not necessary to ask...
Buy a cheap USB 3 card reader (e.g Transcend) and you can transfer your files 5 times faster.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

Pii...

Here we go! Thank you very much!
Strange for me but will have to get a reader. CFP mentioned about SD card reader and it didn't make sense.
I have no USB 3, still 2nd version.

Pii...

Well... Bought a card reader and it cannot even read this card. It reads SDHC cards though...

Stedda

So you bought a SD card reader for a CF card and are surprised?  :o
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

Pii...

It is All In One reader. Reads SD cards with no problems. Reads my CF card for one minute and then asks to insert the card...  :o

Stedda

5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

Walter Schulz

There are some card readers out there not worth a dime.
Which one is involved here? The only one I can recommend is Kingston FCR-HS3.
SD card insertion is tricky at times. Not the best ergonomics.

Transcend: Owned by someone I know. Killed some cards.
Lexar: Owned by same person. Lost connection during operation.
Hama USB 3.0 (my own, have to look for type): Very good with CF-cards but isn't able to keep up with fast SD.

Ciao, Walter

Pii...

Uff... Supposed to be so easy..
Yes, it is Komputerbay. Read a lot about those and if we're talking about in camera performance it is rather stable. The problem is I can't get those files out of the card! Will have to try another reader. That reader is no name All In One.
Thanks for all the answers!

ted ramasola

I hope by now your 1050x is not yet corrupted if you pluged it into a usb reader that is not compatible with it.

With KomputerBay 1050x 128 CF cards, you will need a USB 3.0 udma7 compatible reader. KB recommends kingston FCR-HS3. I was able to get a cheaper SIIG brand and its works.
DO NOT get a lexar brand as its chips is not compatible with the KB card.

If you have plugged it into a usb 2 reader its possible that your card will no longer be readable even when you use a usb 3 reader as it could have already tripped off its controller to protect it from being destroyed.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Pii...

I've read the whole post about those cards. Still hoping the card fine. Put it back to the camera and it works as it should, the only problem is will it work with card readers and my pc? Don't know yet  :-\

Kingston FCR-HS3 even cheaper than Hama and Lexar! But the specs says it is UDMA6. It should make a difference, shouldn't it?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Pii... on August 27, 2013, 09:39:17 PM
What about this Hama? Is this the model you own Walter?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-All--Superspeed-Multicard-Reader/dp/B00510LLMA/ref=sr_1_10?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1377632133&sr=1-10&keywords=hama+usb+3

Yes, it is. Again: SD interface is not able to keep up with fastest cards.
And who's idea it was to use a polished surface for a thingy to be touched on a regular base should be put to court!

Ciao, Walter

ted ramasola

Quote from: Pii... on August 27, 2013, 09:51:06 PM
I've read the whole post about those cards. Still hoping the card fine. Put it back to the camera and it works as it should, the only problem is will it work with card readers and my pc? Don't know yet  :-\

usb 3 readers are usually backward compatible. you may be able to plug the usb 3 reader to a usb 2 socket and get to see the cf card, but the speeds wont be fast.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Pii...

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 27, 2013, 09:46:36 PM

DO NOT get a lexar brand as its chips is not compatible with the KB card.

Is this opinion coming from your experience ted? Is this not standardised thing? Why not compatible with one manufacturer?

ted ramasola

Quote from: Pii... on August 27, 2013, 10:25:11 PM
Is this opinion coming from your experience ted? Is this not standardised thing? Why not compatible with one manufacturer?

No its an opinion Pii, it comes from technicians at Komputerbay after several weeks of communicating with them on how best to use their cards after my 1050 got corrupted.

Now I am sharing that experience with you. ;)

Its the chip they use that is not compatible with the cards YOU have. I will not give that advice to YOU if you have a Lexar card.

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Pii...

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 27, 2013, 10:29:40 PM
No its an opinion Pii, it comes from technicians at Komputerbay after several weeks of communicating with them on how best to use their cards after my 1050 got corrupted.

Thank you! Do you think that the UDMA6 in Kingston FCR-HS3 recommended by them is something to worry about?
And why did you choose SIIG. Can't even find anything abuot UDMA performance on their website.

ted ramasola

Quote from: Pii... on August 27, 2013, 10:53:10 PM
Thank you! Do you think that the UDMA6 in Kingston FCR-HS3 recommended by them is something to worry about?
And why did you choose SIIG. Can't even find anything abuot UDMA performance on their website.

They just emphasized that it be usb 3.0, there was a couple of other brands together with the SIIG that we looked into, and since the conflicting chip was not in it we just chose based on build quality.

You should be ok with it as long as its a usb 3 reader.  I asked them what if I have a USB 3 reader and plug it into a usb 2 socket in my pc, and they say you should be fine, it won't corrupt the card BUT transfers would obviously be slow.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

mageye

WOW! I think I must be the only person in the world that is using a Komputerbay CF card(s) with a USB 2.0 reader. ;D
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

ted ramasola

Quote from: mageye on August 28, 2013, 12:56:41 AM
WOW! I think I must be the only person in the world that is using a Komputerbay CF card(s) with a USB 2.0 reader. ;D

what size is your card? the problem is with the high capacity cards. Are you using 128 gig?
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

mageye

Oh I see :D. I have Komputerbay 32GB Professional 1000x

I use this USB card reader:

http://www.service.targa.co.uk/faq.php?lang_id=2&baseid=184&artdesc=SilverCrest+Card+Reader+CR+12&artid=763&artpic=07_USB_Card_reader.jpg

It's a totally unknown brand as far as I am concerned. It works fine. It's obviously not the fastest. I feel as though I am lucky that I have one that works fine with my Komputerbay card.
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

Pii...

Just ordered Kingston FCR-HS3 reader for my Komputerbay 128GB 1050x card...
Will update some info as soon as I receive it.
Thanks guys!

Pii...

Thank you all very much!!
I can now confirm that there are no issues with reading the Komputerbay 128GB 1050x card with my new Kingston FCR-HS3 USB3 reader. All files visible!! My card wasn't corrupted while plugged into a cheap USB2 reader too!!

;D
Thanks again for you help!

ouuzi

Do you plug it to usb 2.0 ?How are the speeds?

taroquio

I have the same problem ,, what is the solution ?

Walter Schulz

Describe your problem and we will try to help. "I have the same problem" isn't the answer.

Yuppa

Quote from: taroquio Yesterday at 08:12:22 PMI have the same problem ,, what is the solution ?

I need to dig a hole.

Buy a shovel.

Hey, I have the same problem, what's the solution?

The solution is...reading.
When you care more about capturing DATA, as opposed to WONDERMENT, you've lost your creative SOUL.