[DONE] $100 for Auto-Exposure Raw Video

Started by sletts02, August 18, 2013, 01:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sletts02

Following on from here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7699.msg67302#msg67302

I'll put up $100 (AUD) to whoever can implement a way to have Auto Exposure RAW Video with gradual exposure changes.

Problem:
Currently when shooting Auto Raw Video, the ISO changes with hard stops (in playback you will go from bright to dark with no gradual increase).

$100 Solution:
Some automated/reasonably automated method of having the ISO changes gradually change in playback. Preferred method: XMP sidecars; or something in LightRoom that automatically normalises the changes.
*Must be compatible with 5D3
*Must be automated with minimal legwork in post
*Result must be smooth and natural

Payment:
$100 (AUD) paid via PayPal to the person that develops this. They can choose to have it paid to them, to ML, or to a charity if they wish.

----

Other things on the wish list - these do not affect the $100, the $100 is JUST for the above.
Auto Exposure Dual ISO Video
This may not be possible, but the way I envision it would be:
1) Set the low ISO limit range - ie between 100 and say 400
2) Set the preferred range - ie +2EV
3) It will dynamically make the changes with the available light within the range specified in 1)

Raw Video - Auto Exposure Set By ETTR
It would be awesome if the auto exposure values were set by auto-ETTR too :)

pravdomil

well you can use auto ISO in M mode, on 5D2 it works

BTW: nice offer!

g3gg0

Hard iso stops with correct dng metadata is fine too?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

sletts02

Quote from: pravdomil on August 18, 2013, 02:05:51 AM
well you can use auto ISO in M mode, on 5D2 it works

BTW: nice offer!
5D3 works too. When you play back in RAW the ISO changes automatically, but when it changes instead of a gradual change like in .h264 you get a 'hard' change, or jump effect in the exposure.

I love all the ML features and haven't really contributed... and I can write this one off as a business expense so win win :D

Quote from: g3gg0 on August 18, 2013, 02:44:44 AM
Hey g3gg0.

The end result just needs to be a gradual change between ISO's when I use it in post, if that can be achieved through metadata manipulation then go for it (So if it is something like the 'POST DEFLICKER' that's fine - it works quite well for me).

Here is the exact uses for it - transitioning from room to room with exposure changing dynamically with no edits (I can't do manual exposure as it's on a steadicam rig). This example is shot in .h264, I'm really after the dynamic range that raw offers.

sletts02

Quote from: g3gg0 on August 18, 2013, 02:44:44 AM
Hey g3gg0,

Do you reckon you will be giving this a shot?

sletts02

One condition for the $100 - It needs to be available by next Monday 26/8/2013. Obviously first in best dressed.

g3gg0

Quote from: sletts02 on August 18, 2013, 09:35:51 PM
Hey g3gg0,

Do you reckon you will be giving this a shot?

hey.
unfortunately i have a lot of work packages that are still open, so i cannot just start another one.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Audionut

Doing it with sidecar files is certainly the best way.

But on the meantime, learn how to do it in resolve.  It's very easy in vegas when you know what buttons to push, I'm sure resolve will be the same.

I'll make another thread for you.

Crackerjack

Hello, I have the same applied with respect to the iso gentle adjustments in raw mode.

I´m also use Vegas, but a quick workflow for the adjustment would be helpful.

Thank you ;-)

sletts02

Quote from: Audionut on August 19, 2013, 04:07:01 PM
Doing it with sidecar files is certainly the best way.

But on the meantime, learn how to do it in resolve.  It's very easy in vegas when you know what buttons to push, I'm sure resolve will be the same.

I'll make another thread for you.

Brilliant! Thanks!

Quote from: Crackerjack on August 19, 2013, 07:17:45 PM
Hello, I have the same applied with respect to the iso gentle adjustments in raw mode.

I´m also use Vegas, but a quick workflow for the adjustment would be helpful.

Thank you ;-)

Glad to see that there is some support for the feature :)

enliten

This just makes me want to buy a house >_>

sletts02

Any updates on this?

Any one working on it?

painya

I'd recommend buying a 100$ plugin, (GB deflicker), or just investing in a lens with decklicked aperture (rokinon 35mm).
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

3pointedit

Why not shoot dual ISO and blend between them as required?
550D on ML-roids

dmilligan

Alex has promised he is working on porting post deflicker as an actual post tool, so that would solve this problem... whenever it is finished. I'm anxiously waiting for it to be done for timelapse purposes.

sletts02

Quote from: painya on October 08, 2013, 02:51:27 AM
I'd recommend buying a 100$ plugin, (GB deflicker), or just investing in a lens with decklicked aperture (rokinon 35mm).
Will definitely give it a test run but doubtful it would work as LRTimelapse couldn't help =/

Quote from: 3pointedit on October 08, 2013, 03:51:02 AM
Why not shoot dual ISO and blend between them as required?
To be honest I haven't had enough of a look in to Dual ISO. What exactly do you mean by this?

Quote from: dmilligan on October 08, 2013, 04:35:16 AM
Alex has promised he is working on porting post deflicker as an actual post tool, so that would solve this problem... whenever it is finished. I'm anxiously waiting for it to be done for timelapse purposes.
Fingers crossed he can pull together the goods soon! Would love to be shooting in RAW instead of .h264

painya

Quote from: sletts02 on October 08, 2013, 07:32:38 AM
Will definitely give it a test run but doubtful it would work as LRTimelapse couldn't help =/
This is a premier pro plug in that could be of use for smoothing exposure change.
Quote from: sletts02 on October 08, 2013, 07:32:38 AMTo be honest I haven't had enough of a look in to Dual ISO. What exactly do you mean by this?
There is a thread on this. It improves dynamic range http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.0;topicseen

sletts02

Quote from: painya on October 08, 2013, 08:12:25 AM
This is a premier pro plug in that could be of use for smoothing exposure change. There is a thread on this. It improves dynamic range http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.0;topicseen

I've played with dual ISO and it works okay, I must be doing something wrong as sometimes the files are recognised as dual ISO files - I couldn't figure it out.
Regardless, whI wasn't sure by what was meant with 'blend them' when needed?

I'll give the plugin a go when I get a chance, not sure if it'll play nicely with raw footage though?

3pointedit

Dual iso yields 2 exposures, you can process it into an ultra wide dynamic range image or comb it into 2 concurrent frames. Then you run the 2 streams together and simply mix between them when moving between exposure extremes. Resolution does drop however.
550D on ML-roids

painya

Quote from: 3pointedit on October 08, 2013, 02:27:10 PM
Dual iso yields 2 exposures, you can process it into an ultra wide dynamic range image or comb it into 2 concurrent frames. Then you run the 2 streams together and simply mix between them when moving between exposure extremes. Resolution does drop however.
If you can shoot at 720fps with a higher framerate because there are heavy motion aritifacts due to the blending of the image. These are lesser with higher framerates.

3pointedit

How are there motion artefacts in dual iso? They are an interlace of the same frame instance not successive frame sono temporal errors just vertical offsets. I'm not suggesting hdr video here.
550D on ML-roids

painya

Quote from: 3pointedit on October 09, 2013, 03:48:48 PM
How are there motion artefacts in dual iso? They are an interlace of the same frame instance not successive frame sono temporal errors just vertical offsets. I'm not suggesting hdr video here.
Oh sorry I thought you were suggesting HDR video. That definitely has motion artifacts.

KurtAugust

I could use a solution as well. There are situations where auto iso is the best option.
www.kurtaugustyns.com @HetRovendOog

sletts02

Quote from: painya on October 08, 2013, 02:51:27 AM

I gave GBDeflicker a go with no success unfortunately.

Dual ISO does not seem to be a practical solution as some rooms are very dark, some rooms have a lot of light and the difference is too great.

I don't think Auto ISO is a reality for RAW video unfortunately.

sletts02

Any progress on this?

I am thinking it may not be feasible with ML RAW - perhaps impossible?