Canon 650D / T4i

Started by nanomad, August 03, 2013, 07:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mepizani

Hi

I am new around here. I have read a lot of the benefits that ML brings to its users, until I found that there was a version that could be used in the Rebel T4i, so I decided to give it a shot and find out how it works on mi camera. The result is that I busted my SD card 

I did everything you recommended to do:
•   I up dated the firmware to 1.0.4
•   I did a low level format to the SD card

Then I dounloaded the EOScard from the website: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/EOScard but didn't work, I started to look for another software that make the SD card bootable, so I googled it an found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CovIqmKODzg

After viewing that video I downloaded the WIN32 DiskImager and I also had to download the 2014-01-07-wheezy-raspbian that was needed to make the SD card bootable.

I used my SanDisk Ultra 64GB (SDXC I) to make it bootable and to upload the ML the result was the following:

I could upload the ML (magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Aug03.650D104), it even run perfectly. But the SDcard memory got shorten; it now says that its capacity  is about 56MB; I formatted it, I lost what I did when uploading ML; and the SDcard it is now 56MB of memory free (I can take up to 6 pictures).

I got worried about the camera, and checked it, and everything seems to work perfectly, but the SD card is busted.

MY question:

-   What did I do wrong?
-   Was it wrong to use de WIN32 DisImager?
-   Have I just lost my SDcard forever? Or can I fix it and make it 64GB again?
-   If it's definitely broken, what SD card can you recommend?
-   If I did any step wrong, could you teach me how make it right?

Rebel T4i
EF 50mm f/1.4 EF-S 18-50mm II  55-250mm II

Nautilus

Quote from: mepizani on January 27, 2014, 02:01:06 AM
Hi

I am new around here. I have read a lot of the benefits that ML brings to its users, until I found that there was a version that could be used in the Rebel T4i, so I decided to give it a shot and find out how it works on mi camera. The result is that I busted my SD card 

Then I dounloaded the EOScard from the website: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/EOScard but didn't work, I started to look for another software that make the SD card bootable, so I googled it an found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CovIqmKODzg

After viewing that video I downloaded the WIN32 DiskImager and I also had to download the 2014-01-07-wheezy-raspbian that was needed to make the SD card bootable.

I used my SanDisk Ultra 64GB (SDXC I) to make it bootable and to upload the ML the result was the following:

I could upload the ML (magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Aug03.650D104), it even run perfectly. But the SDcard memory got shorten; it now says that its capacity  is about 56MB; I formatted it, I lost what I did when uploading ML; and the SDcard it is now 56MB of memory free (I can take up to 6 pictures).

I got worried about the camera, and checked it, and everything seems to work perfectly, but the SD card is busted.

MY question:

-   What did I do wrong?

Hi,

First right click my computer on the desktop and click "Manage". Now the Computer Management window should be appeared. You'll see some options at the right panel. Under the storage option, go to Disk Management. There you will see your SD card. Please describe what you see there, what does it say about your card?
Canon 650D w/18-55 Kit lens | Sigma 30mm f1.4 | CarrySpeed VF-4 Viewfinder | Rode VideoMic Pro | Manfrotto MVH502A Fluid Head + MVT502AM Tripod System

Walter Schulz

Quote from: mepizani on January 27, 2014, 02:01:06 AMThe result is that I busted my SD card

It's not that easy to bust a SD card.
Insert card into cardreader, use Window 7/8 Disk Management to delete all partitions on that SD. Insert SD card into cam and format there.

LordPanzer

Quote from: mk11174 on January 26, 2014, 11:11:28 PM
It does work on the test version with audio meters, but wont be in the nightly builds because audio meters push the camera tasks to its limits so it is considered unstable, but working great on 700D and should work fine on yours too with beep task disabled, but not sure since I dont have 650D, on 700D disabling beep task is just enough to keep the camera stable in photo and movie mode and audio trigger works fine in both when meters are enabled. I can only share the version with you but it wont be allowed in nightly till someone with better skills can figure out the task issues.
Nice! Which build should I use? I tried the one you posted on jan 11 and the jan 8 nightly, but there's no mention of audio trigger in the Shoot tab, nor in the audio tab that shows up when I load the mlv modules.

glassescreditsroll

Quote from: mepizani on January 27, 2014, 02:01:06 AM
Hi

MY question:

-   What did I do wrong?
well first off ml tells everyone not to do a first time load with anything bigger than 32 thats why eoscard didn't work properly

Felipe

Quote from: mk11174 on January 26, 2014, 11:11:28 PM
It does work on the test version with audio meters, but wont be in the nightly builds because audio meters push the camera tasks to its limits so it is considered unstable, but working great on 700D and should work fine on yours too with beep task disabled, but not sure since I dont have 650D, on 700D disabling beep task is just enough to keep the camera stable in photo and movie mode and audio trigger works fine in both when meters are enabled. I can only share the version with you but it wont be allowed in nightly till someone with better skills can figure out the task issues.
Meters working great very stable , I've done 2 events with the camera , bit rate 1.6 , zebras, cropmarks. Perfect
650D-700D

mk11174

Quote from: LordPanzer on January 26, 2014, 10:46:07 PM
I'm eagerly awaiting the audio trigger, and all this talk about audio meters has gotten my hopes up that the trigger function will follow naturally. I know better than to ask for an ETA, but is this something that's on the immediate roadmap at least?
I turned on Audio Remote shoot for you with meters full time, works fine on 700D, hope it works for the 650D as well, here is the link. Also updated to latest ML source.
https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/t5i/downloads/ML_650D_ML_Audio_Jan_27_2014.zip
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

Felipe

Quote from: mk11174 on January 27, 2014, 02:56:40 PM
I turned on Audio Remote shoot for you with meters full time, works fine on 700D, hope it works for the 650D as well, here is the link. Also updated to latest ML source.
January 13 build has the right levels but meters only while recording this january 27 fulltime meters audio not stable, audio levels high, Is there any way you can borrow a 650 somewhere?
Thank you by the meters while recording.
650D-700D

mk11174

Quote from: Felipe on January 27, 2014, 04:14:04 PM
January 13 build has the right levels but meters only while recording this january 27 fulltime meters audio not stable, audio levels high, Is there any way you can borrow a 650 somewhere?
Thank you by the meters while recording.
Yeah, still same issue as last time with meters full time on your camera, they were said to read high for some reason, to bad, cause the only way you can use Audio Remote Shoot is if meters are going fulltime, fine on 700D, but def does not seem fine on 650D, sorry 8[, was worth a shot though. And no, I can't borrow a 650D to test with, sorry.

Felipe

Quote from: mk11174 on January 27, 2014, 04:55:49 PM
Yeah, still same issue as last time with meters full time on your camera, they were said to read high for some reason, to bad, cause the only way you can use Audio Remote Shoot is if meters are going fulltime, fine on 700D, but def does not seem fine on 650D, sorry 8[, was worth a shot though. And no, I can't borrow a 650D to test with, sorry.
700D firmware 1.1.3 that is the one I'm using since december
650D-700D

mk11174

Quote from: Felipe on January 27, 2014, 05:59:32 PM
700D firmware 1.1.3 that is the one I'm using since december
Do you have a 650d and 700d? Probably wont be a 1.1.3 ML version for your 700d for some time, I was going to try to do it, but to scared I will get stuck with firmware 1.1.3 and no more ML if I couldnt port it.

nanomad

You can port ML to the new firmware almost blindly. Then ask for users that have the newer version from the factory to help with figuring our the remaining stubs. I did the same and was worth it
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

LordPanzer

Quote from: mk11174 on January 27, 2014, 02:56:40 PM
Wonderful! Thank you!

It was a bit fiddly. I eventually figured out I have to load the mlv modules and enable audio meters first, but I got it working and man am I going to have fun with this and my air rifle! For now I dedicate this frozen water balloon, dirty sink, rusty hammer, and on-camera flash to you:

http://imgur.com/XMjNNnd

[edit] I don't actually have to enable MLV Sound in the audio tab, but after switching on the camera I do have to display the audio tab once, otherwise the trigger meter thing just reads 0/10 no matter what I do.

mk11174

Quote from: LordPanzer on January 27, 2014, 07:15:28 PM
Wonderful! Thank you!

It was a bit fiddly. I eventually figured out I have to load the mlv modules and enable audio meters first, but I got it working and man am I going to have fun with this and my air rifle! For now I dedicate this frozen water balloon, dirty sink, rusty hammer, and on-camera flash to you:

http://imgur.com/XMjNNnd

[edit] I don't actually have to enable MLV Sound in the audio tab, but after switching on the camera I do have to display the audio tab once, otherwise the trigger meter thing just reads 0/10 no matter what I do.
Ha! Nice Water balloon shot!

I hope it works out for you ok, wish I could get it to work for you as it does on the 700D, but it would be to much debugging to do without cam in hand.

Interesting that you found the remote shoot levels only work after going to Audio Tab menu first. Better then nothing I guess if you need the remote shoot feature 8]

LordPanzer

Hey it's free and it works. I'm used to wrestling with custom Android ROMs so this is all I ask. :)

I played with the motion detect a while back, but it reacted too slowly and I got pictures of pieces on the ground. Silent Shot was faster, but... pink dots. I tried the Audio Remote on my dad's 550D and have been wanting it ever since. I was this close to building an audio trigger out of the Arduino I got for xmas.

glassescreditsroll

Ok I don't really understand how any of this works but if mk11174 can bring in audio meters from the 700d to the t4i cant we just bring them from the t3i build and have a much more stable build? Again I could be completely wrong and it could be impossible I really have no idea it's just a thought

Nautilus

Quote from: glassescreditsroll on January 27, 2014, 09:36:04 PM
Ok I don't really understand how any of this works but if mk11174 can bring in audio meters from the 700d to the t4i cant we just bring them from the t3i build and have a much more stable build? Again I could be completely wrong and it could be impossible I really have no idea it's just a thought

700D is more identical to 650D than 550D.
Canon 650D w/18-55 Kit lens | Sigma 30mm f1.4 | CarrySpeed VF-4 Viewfinder | Rode VideoMic Pro | Manfrotto MVH502A Fluid Head + MVT502AM Tripod System

Felipe

Quote from: mk11174 on January 27, 2014, 06:10:58 PM
Do you have a 650d and 700d?
650-700-SL1 All same family, but only 650 has ML, SL1, and 700 have not , and makes them simple cameras, Hope you guys will be able to brake that code.
Personally don't know code or programming.
650D-700D

venture

Quote from: nanomad on January 26, 2014, 01:22:38 PM
Next nightly will contain fixes to ML features in play mode

Thanks, nanomad.

Set+MainDial and Set+Erase functions both work now.
650D/T4i | EF-S 18-135 IS STM | EF 50 f/1.8 mk1 | 55-250

glassescreditsroll

Anyway I can get the latest nightlys but keep the original audio meters from mk11174?

mk11174

Quote from: glassescreditsroll on January 29, 2014, 10:36:36 AM
Anyway I can get the latest nightlys but keep the original audio meters from mk11174?
My version I posted the other day is up to date with nightly from that day, but I think your play mode patches were posted right after, so I will post another update so its up to date with nightly, the play mode fix is the only thing new since my last post.

No way the meters will be added to nightly till Alex okays them on that camera and the 700d.

If you go to my download site https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/t5i/downloads  I will do my best to keep up to date builds that are up to date with nightly, especially when there is a change for your camera. I added 2 version, Fulltime Meters which may be flakey with higher levels on the meters from what I have read here, but allows for Audio Remote Shoot, and the other meter version will be meters, but only during record, but this version the meters are showing normal levels, just no audio remote shoot because audio has to be active for Audio Remote Shot to work.

This may all be fixable once someone with the 650d can debug the changes and see why this meter level gets messed up with the fulltime meter version, I only have a 700d which does not have the wrong meter level problem, so maybe it is a simple tweak.

mk11174

If anyone wants to help debug the audio fulltime issue with high levels, you can download this https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/t5i/downloads/ML_650D_DEBUG.zip

UPDATE: Glassescreditsroll already checked these debugs out so no need to recheck, thank you anyway!

Inside are 4 debug versions, I would need you to test the meters to see if they work all the time of coarse, not just during recording, and you will need to make sure the levels look normal and also, important! You need to record a regular MOV then play it back on cam, check to see if the audio plays back like chimpmunks, video will be fine, just audio may be strange. Also, I would need you to find out if meters still work after a playback of the MOV.

Since I don't have cam, this is the best I can do to try to narrow the quick fix down on my end.

It is same procedure I went through finding best way for 700d to give perfect results. You cam is slightly different obviously.

glassescreditsroll

Quote from: mk11174 on January 29, 2014, 03:00:05 PM
If anyone wants to help debug the audio fulltime issue with high levels, you can download this https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/t5i/downloads/ML_650D_DEBUG.zip

Inside are 4 debug versions, I would need you to test the meters to see if they work all the time of coarse, not just during recording, and you will need to make sure the levels look normal and also, important! You need to record a regular MOV then play it back on cam, check to see if the audio plays back like chimpmunks, video will be fine, just audio may be strange. Also, I would need you to find out if meters still work after a playback of the MOV.

Since I don't have cam, this is the best I can do to try to narrow the quick fix down on my end.

It is same procedure I went through finding best way for 700d to give perfect results. You cam is slightly different obviously.
ok the first two gave me no audio at all and all of the builds gave me only left meter on the in camera meters but the ml meters were all true on all builds except the first two. I did the chipmunk test and as I said the first two builds gave no audio, but the rest gave me chipmunk audio as well as a forced stop on all recordings. I did all tests with all modules on and off so idk if that helps any.

mk11174

Quote from: glassescreditsroll on January 29, 2014, 07:50:31 PM
ok the first two gave me no audio at all and all of the builds gave me only left meter on the in camera meters but the ml meters were all true on all builds except the first two. I did the chipmunk test and as I said the first two builds gave no audio, but the rest gave me chipmunk audio as well as a forced stop on all recordings. I did all tests with all modules on and off so idk if that helps any.
Thank you for the tests, it does help to show the 650d does work just like the 700d for the chimpmunk audio at least, so I know one thing that needs to stay for sure. So now you say the last 2 the meters held true on ML but Canon only showed left meter? I will make a couple more builds and we can go from there.

By the way, when you say forced stop, do you mean, you stopped it, or do you mean the forced stop that MLV_REC gives, if you mean, MLV, please do all tests with Canon regular MOV record, no MLV recording for now, as far as loading modules, dont matter if you load any, just no need to use any for testing, because we are just trying to get the meters working regular with the camera, not with any modules at this time, but they should work fine with MLV once they work correctly with just canon MOV movies. So prob best to not load any modules during debugging this, lets keep it nice and simple and go from there.

mk11174

Ok, give this a try and see how the meters react, should be no chimpmunk issue with this version, just meter issues.
https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/t5i/downloads/ML_650D_DEBUG5.zip