Canon 650D / T4i

Started by nanomad, August 03, 2013, 07:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rewind

You should perform the write speed bencmark.
Go to ML Menu — Debug — Benchmarks — Card R/W benchmark (5 min)

Rewind

Ok, guys, I've got a slight speed increase with latest pravdomil's builds. His branch is related to 5dm2, but modified raw_rec works well on 650d.

If you activate the small hacks option in raw_rec settings, you'll get an error message for a couple of seconds, but then it disappears and recording continues nicely. So instead of previous maximum at 37.3 Mb/s now i'm getting 37.7.

It seems like tiny bit, but it leads to extra 16 pixels in width or vertically at least.
If you are shooting continuous, now you can use:
1296x720 or 1280x736 instead of 1280x720,
1504x626 or 1472x640 instead of 1472x626.

Usually I'm using 1536x640, and now I get 45-47 seconds of recording (extra 7-8 secs compared to previous versions). Now it is enough for me to achieve any prodution shot in my workflow.

By the way, pravdomil's raw_rec has some additional sweet features like black bars while recording. So with a little tweaking of his code, adding custom cropmarks etc., i've got this in standby mode:

and this while recording:

Nice, huh? )

davidtlong

Quote from: Rewind on October 07, 2013, 07:06:08 AM
You should perform the write speed bencmark.
Go to ML Menu — Debug — Benchmarks — Card R/W benchmark (5 min)

Rewind,

Thanks I will do that tonite (I am in Michigan Eastern Standard Time) and report back.

dave

dngrhm

Quote from: davidtlong on October 06, 2013, 08:10:08 PM
Hi all,

Well, I am ready to take the heat for being naive on this. 

This weekend I finally had a chance to play and wanted to do a full minute of raw and blend in surround sound (new recorder  :)).  Up until now I have been doing 10 sec clips.  Unfortunately I could not do continuous raw recording at 1280 x 720 at 16:9.

The message at the bottom says 36.8 MB/s  is needed (yellow text). I get about 700 frames before it stops.  If I change settings to 1152x648 16:9 or change the aspect ratio of the 1280 I can get the "green" continuous recording, which is obviously lower that the 720p. 

I believe I have the camera settings ok unless someone can advise.  I have two cards.  One is a SanDisk Extreme 80mb/s 8 gig class 10 (I got this before I realized this was over kill for the T4i) and a San Disk Extreme 45 MB/s class 10 64 gig.  Neither works for continuous raw recording at 1280 x 720 at 16:9. 

So is my camera a lemon or have I missed something?

I appreciate any insights.

dave
36.8 MB/s seems high for 720p. Maybe I'm just remembering incorrectly. You may want to check your frame rate.  720p works at 24FPS (given sufficient SD card performance).  Easiest way to get there is to set the Canon video mode to record 1080p24.  Then setup your RAW rec settings for 720p. 
EOS 650D + 620 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM + 55-250mm f/4-5.6 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Mac OS 10.9 | PinkDotRemoval Tool | RAWMagic | DaVinci Resolve | FCP X

juzza

Posted earlier but now resolved my own problem.  Can a mod delete this message when they see it.

Felipe

Hey people any shortcut to ISO ? Thank you
650D-700D

Walter Schulz

Seen the ISO button in front of the mode dial? I suppose any shortcut shorter might require some kind of neural interface not involving fingers.

Ciao, Walter

davidtlong

Quote from: dngrhm on October 07, 2013, 03:30:29 PM
36.8 MB/s seems high for 720p. Maybe I'm just remembering incorrectly. You may want to check your frame rate.  720p works at 24FPS (given sufficient SD card performance).  Easiest way to get there is to set the Canon video mode to record 1080p24.  Then setup your RAW rec settings for 720p.

Well I have it on 1080p24.

I did the card test and write speed is 36.9 so 36.8 is too close I guess. 

Can someone confirm what the speed should be?

Thanks a lot if you or someone can help me work this out.

dave

Felipe

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 07, 2013, 11:32:13 PM
Seen the ISO button in front of the mode dial? I suppose any shortcut shorter might require some kind of neural interface not involving fingers.

Ciao, Walter

Sure but the ISO Button open Canon ISO Values, I mean a shortcut to open ML ISO values. :-X :-X :-X
650D-700D

Walter Schulz

Give MyMenu a try.
Prefs -> Customize Menus ON. Then Expo -> ISO -> [Q] -> ML digital ISO -> [Set]
Mark all other menu items you want to have a shortcut to, then browse to MyMenu.
While shooting just press the trashcan button.

"Standard" shortcut to ISO is via Prefs -> Arrow/SET shortcuts -> ISO/Kelvin ON.
Prefs -> Misc key settings -> LCD Sensor Shorcuts ON.
Now just place a finger near the LCD Sensor. Controls will toggle. Use Arrow right/left to change ISO. Trigger LCD sensor again and controls toggles back.

HTH

Ciao
Walter

Felipe

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 08, 2013, 04:39:16 AM
Give MyMenu a try.
Prefs -> Customize Menus ON. Then Expo -> ISO -> [Q] -> ML digital ISO -> [Set]
Mark all other menu items you want to have a shortcut to, then browse to MyMenu.
While shooting just press the trashcan button.

"Standard" shortcut to ISO is via Prefs -> Arrow/SET shortcuts -> ISO/Kelvin ON.
Prefs -> Misc key settings -> LCD Sensor Shorcuts ON.
Now just place a finger near the LCD Sensor. Controls will toggle. Use Arrow right/left to change ISO. Trigger LCD sensor again and controls toggles back.

HTH

Ciao
Walter

Thank you Walter that is Great, By any chance any idea how to enable in Flash tweaks 3rd p.flash LV ? I mean it can go on but doesn't fire my studio strobes in Live View
;D ;D ;D
650D-700D

Walter Schulz

Glad it helped!

Flash tweaks: Haven't used the 3rd party option until now.
And my test right now did not go well:
Enabled the option. Liveview, shutter release button half pressed the mirror went up and a message appeared in the upper left corner "(take pic or release half-shutter)", cam doesn't return to liveview by any means, ML menu not showing after, menu frozen.
Turned cam off and on. Worked well until return to Liveview and trying to take a pic. I had to disable the option to make the cam work.

I used version dated 8. October.

Ciao, Walter

Felipe

650D-700D

davidtlong

Quote from: davidtlong on October 07, 2013, 11:38:25 PM
Well I have it on 1080p24.

I did the card test and write speed is 36.9 so 36.8 is too close I guess. 

Can someone confirm what the speed should be?

Thanks a lot if you or someone can help me work this out.

dave

Well both my cards ( SanDisk Extreme 80mb/s 8 gig class 10 (an august ML build)and San Disk Extreme 45 MB/s class 10 64 gig (Oct 4 ML build)) give test results at 36.5 and 36.8 respectively.  If what I see on my LCD is that 36.8 is necessary for 720p.  I looked back in some of the old posts in the previous forum for the prior t4i firmware read the statement that for 1280 720 24, 36.8 mbs is needed.  So my results are consistent, but you all probably know that.

So all do you think it is my cam or my cards.  I got the cards from Amazon.  The fact that both cards essentially give the same test results leads me to believe that the test results reflect the capabilities of my camera rather than the cards.

After reading these early posts I have one more thing to try which is setting the FPS override to 23.973.  I can not play until tonite (9 hours away :(), but would that make the difference? 

Again thank you for any help and sorry if all of this is so throw back for you. 

dave

demetrisag

try formatting your card on exfat if they are not

davidtlong

Quote from: demetrisag on October 08, 2013, 03:23:26 PM
try formatting your card on exfat if they are not

I would assume that they are FAT 32 but I will check.  Can you help me understand how exfat would make a difference in write rates?

dave

Nautilus

I installed ML for my first 32GB card, for my second 32GB card I just copied files from the first one and it didn't work.

What are the steps I should follow?
Canon 650D w/18-55 Kit lens | Sigma 30mm f1.4 | CarrySpeed VF-4 Viewfinder | Rode VideoMic Pro | Manfrotto MVH502A Fluid Head + MVT502AM Tripod System

Rewind

First, you should make your card bootable with EOScard for Windows or MacBoot for Mac.

Nautilus

Quote from: Rewind on October 08, 2013, 05:27:01 PM
First, you should make your card bootable with EOScard for Windows or MacBoot for Mac.

I did. And then I did a low level format before extracting ML files to the card. But still no go. Nothing happens when I press the trashbin button.
Canon 650D w/18-55 Kit lens | Sigma 30mm f1.4 | CarrySpeed VF-4 Viewfinder | Rode VideoMic Pro | Manfrotto MVH502A Fluid Head + MVT502AM Tripod System

Rewind

Quote from: Nautilus on October 08, 2013, 06:13:49 PM
I did. And then I did a low level format before extracting ML files to the card. But still no go. Nothing happens when I press the trashbin button.

Why did you format the card after making it bootable!? You should just copy files on it. Then you can format it in-camera.

Nautilus

Quote from: Rewind on October 08, 2013, 06:18:58 PM
Why did you format the card after making it bootable!? You should just copy files on it. Then you can format it in-camera.

I formatted it in camera.

Walter Schulz

Sorry, you did it wrong.
Read instructions again and follow them.
After formating you have to make the card bootable and copy/transfer the files onto it.

dngrhm

Quote from: Nautilus on October 08, 2013, 06:28:53 PM
I formatted it in camera.
You shouldn't be able to boot the camera if you have the bootflag on the card set and ML is not on the card.  Check that you correctly set the bootflag on the card.
EOS 650D + 620 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM + 55-250mm f/4-5.6 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Mac OS 10.9 | PinkDotRemoval Tool | RAWMagic | DaVinci Resolve | FCP X

Rewind

Quote from: dngrhm on October 08, 2013, 07:15:10 PM
You shouldn't be able to boot the camera if you have the bootflag on the card set and ML is not on the card.  Check that you correctly set the bootflag.

If you have bootflag set, but SD card isn't bootable, camera boots fine.

kazeone

not sure if this has been talked about as a possible solution for those wanting higher resolution but what about shooting video at say 4k but using Canon mov format? would it then be possible to film with that compression verses attempting it in Raw since this camera can barely handle 720p?

Edit: lol to that joke of a PM by a faceless individual which doesnt offer the ability to rebuttal, I did try searching but well lets face it the forum search functions ability is well a joke and then when you try to refine the search you cant or you have to wait, it was a legit question of possible "development" for the camera, I mean as stated its a development thread so coming up with alternative solution/ideas to work around this particular cameras limitations would be part of it right? ~_~