Canon 650D / T4i

Started by nanomad, August 03, 2013, 07:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minlite13

Quote from: 30dbs on August 13, 2013, 10:34:48 PM
Thanks but I was referring to the fact that minlite13 specifically said he didn't use that tool, upon further inspection of his video (ie in 1080p ) you can still see the pink dots too.
Yes. I didn't use any PickDotRemoval tool. Because of some reasons.

1. The PinkDotRemoval Java application is calibrated to be used with the 1280x720 resolution. I only had a SanDisk Extreme 30mb/s card around so I couldn't record in that resolution. I recorded in 960x540 instead, so basically, the PinkDotRemoval tool wouldn't work.

2. And I tested RawTherapee app on my Mac too. But I wasn't comfortable with using it's settings. Although the hot/dead pixel removal option worked very well, the main problem was that I wanted to use Adobe CameraRaw to process the DNG files, but RawTherapee couldn't reproduce fixed DNG files.

So I couldn't use any pink dot removal tool. After processing with Adobe CameraRaw, the dots weren't visible that much, but if you see in 1080p. you can see that they are still there.

Anyways sorry for the confusion.
Canon 650D 1.0.4 / EF-S 18-55 IS II + EF 50 f/1.8

kiketon

Hi!
Anyone tried rack focus?
It seems like is not working properly...

spider

Quote from: kiketon on August 13, 2013, 11:09:02 PM
It seems like is not working properly...
I think you should explain what not work properly.

kzi2006

Quote from: minlite13 on August 13, 2013, 07:43:31 PM
I don't get what are you trying to say by "Absolutely Useless feature".  If it's a feature then it's not useless. Despite the fact that, the whole of us have agreed that it's a great feature and Magic Lantern team is including it in their builds.
And I assume this is nearly a dev topic. So please don't spam by saying thing like "This feature is useless", "What is it? What is that?" ,..
I am professional cameraman at least 15 years (and you?) , and saying - you footage is rubbish... dropped frames ets)
RAW video is only for advanced color correction and grading, nothing more nothing less, not increasing quality and dynamic range that cheapest camera.
BTW - there is no way to record long, usefull, non dropped frames FullHD RAW on 650D due flash card i/o module - you just wasting you time
EOS 6D, 3xEOS 650D, Canon 24-105, Canon 10-22, Sigma 50-150 2.8 APO HSM, Sigma 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 50 1.4, Samyang 14mm 2.8
https://vimeo.com/kzi/

blade

Quote from: kzi2006 on August 14, 2013, 08:08:03 AM
I am professional cameraman at least 15 years (and you?) , and saying - you footage is rubbish... dropped frames ets)
RAW video is only for advanced color correction and grading, nothing more nothing less, not increasing quality and dynamic range that cheapest camera.
BTW - there is no way to record long, usefull, non dropped frames FullHD RAW on 650D due flash card i/o module - you just wasting you time

On some level I mus agree with you. The 650 is not the best model for RAW video. However it is possible to shoot better video in some scenes using raw and proper post. It all depens on the scene and what you do with the material in post. The stock 650D shoots good full HD video, and will be more than sufficient for most users, however playing around with these RAW options is just fun and that is not wasting time for me!.

Additional please keep in mind that this is Alpha software....  we seem to have hit a brick wall in write speed, but who knows... we may find a wat to fix that.

Please use this forum in a constructive way, if you do not like an option provided by the developers...  you don't have to use it.
eos400D :: eos650D  :: Sigma 18-200 :: Canon 100mm macro

kiketon

Quote from: spider on August 13, 2013, 11:41:20 PM
I think you should explain what not work properly.

yes, you are right... i tried but i did not have awnser...
i copy here my last post:

Hi everyone,
first i would like to thank to all the team for your work... amazing!
i don´t know if i´m doing something wrong but rack focus doesnt work for me...
it works properly whithout recording but when i press play (rack focus button) doesnt rec anything...(it tries)
if i press rec, and then i go to the MG menu and i press rack focus, the function doesn´t work properly.... it seem like loses the reference points of focus...

Thanks in advance!!!

30dbs

I recently used the RAW mode to shoot some 720p greenscreen footage, as no (lossy) compression is being applied it results in a MUCH better keying. I was shooting an actor in portrait mode and rotating into landscape so I actually had in excess of 1080p res vertically (1280p effectively) . which was perfect for my needs. please don't assume because YOU don't need it, that it isn't useful.

dngrhm

This isn't a deal site but there might be many interested... Amazon (at least US) has SanDisk 45MB/s 32GB, 64GB & 128GB cards on sale.  I've been following the 32GB and it is about $5 off what it normally is.  Great time to buy if you have been considering the upgrade to 720p RAW on the 650D.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Class-Memory-SDSDX-032G-AFFP/dp/B007M54E1M/
EOS 650D + 620 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM + 55-250mm f/4-5.6 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Mac OS 10.9 | PinkDotRemoval Tool | RAWMagic | DaVinci Resolve | FCP X

dngrhm

Quote from: 30dbs on August 14, 2013, 09:59:13 AM
I recently used the RAW mode to shoot some 720p greenscreen footage, as no (lossy) compression is being applied it results in a MUCH better keying. I was shooting an actor in portrait mode and rotating into landscape so I actually had in excess of 1080p res vertically (1280p effectively) . which was perfect for my needs. please don't assume because YOU don't need it, that it isn't useful.
AWESOME IDEA! I hadn't thought of shooting in portrait for green screen.  You only need to capture the actor and can expand out the sides.

Idea for RAW.  Allow resolutions 1080p tall and as wide as the data rate will allow.  Rough calc 1280x720/1080 = ~850.  maybe 850 wide x 1080 high.
EOS 650D + 620 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM + 55-250mm f/4-5.6 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8

minlite13

I repeat again. That was just a test footage. The purpose is to see if there are dropped frames. How can you complain about being dropped frames. :|
I don't see any reason, that I should reply to your attempt to show off. I don't care if you are a professional cameraman or whatever. I just judge you with what you post here.
And attempting to solve things and getting things better is not wasting time. The reason that today you can use Magic Lantern, is that the guys have "wasted their times" solving problems and developing great products.

And when it comes to computers, there is nothing absolutely impossible. You will always find a way of doing it.
Just to prove you are wrong, here is an idea to overcome the problem that just hit my mind. You can connect two cards in a RAID-0 like , hardware level array, which will double the performance.
For example if you have two 8 GB 30 MB/s cards, you can get one 8 GB 60 MB/s card out of the two cards.
See, it's not impossible. You just have to think a little.
Canon 650D 1.0.4 / EF-S 18-55 IS II + EF 50 f/1.8

spider

Quote from: minlite13 on August 14, 2013, 09:18:23 PM
And when it comes to computers, there is nothing absolutely impossible. You will always find a way of doing it.
Just to prove you are wrong, here is an idea to overcome the problem that just hit my mind. You can connect two cards in a RAID-0 like , hardware level array, which will double the performance.
For example if you have two 8 GB 30 MB/s cards, you can get one 8 GB 60 MB/s card out of the two cards.
See, it's not impossible. You just have to think a little.
This is pointless, the problem isn't the card there are 95MB/s cards available.  The problem is the controller into the camera.

Tongotongo

Hola, consulta ..es imposible grabar a 1280X720 teniendo tarjeta rápida ,  se puede realmente o es simplemente para grabar unos segundos?

traductor google.

Hi, see .. is impossible to record a quick card 1280X720 taking no more than a few seconds, you can really or is simply to record a few seconds?
Canon 650d Tamron 17-50 mm 2.8 canon 50 mm fijo 1.8 magic lantern

spider

It is possible to record 720p24 continuously.

benlen

This is a reply aimed at RAW video shooters, and mkay, minlite13 and papkee in particular.

To capture your RAW footage at 720p, what specific cards are you using? I'm trying to determine if I need to upgrade from my Sandisk 32GB 45MB/s or whether this card can shoot RAW continuously at 720p.

Also, after watching some of the footage tests you guys have done:

It looks good, but at 1080p you guys are getting a LOT of noise! Are you doing any kind of color grading that would lead to this level of degradation? Is anyone here doing any noise reduction on their RAW footage?

I guess I'm not quite convinced that shooting at 720p RAW, and then blowing the image up, is going to result in a better image quality than shooting with Canon's firmware at 1080p.

I'd love for someone to prove me wrong with a side by side test, though!

Tongotongo

Hello, I tried several resolutions the most 8G sdhc constant 90m / s

1472x626 and 616 is perfect, flawless pinkdotremove continuous recording
1728x736 even better but not record almost anything and will not pinkdotremove
1728x526 works perfect and consistent with good quality but not going pinkfotremove

A highlight for me are the actual colors that can be achieved, the quality of these resolutions compared to 1080p really do not know.

Hola, probé con varias resoluciones la mas constante con sdhc de 8G 90m/s

1472x626 y  616 va perfecto , graba continuo y pinkdotremove impecable
1728x736 mejor aun pero no graba casi nada y pinkdotremove no va
1728x526 funciona perfecto y constante con buena calidad pero pinkfotremove no va

A destacar para mi son los colores reales que se pueden lograr, la calidad  en esas resoluciones comparado con 1080p la verdad no lo se.
Canon 650d Tamron 17-50 mm 2.8 canon 50 mm fijo 1.8 magic lantern

dalanz

Quote from: Jockerl on August 10, 2013, 07:20:36 PM
For timelapse use ETTR + PostDeflicker --> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5705.0
Did it on the 650D a few days ago and it worked very well.

Hi Jockerl,

I may be a bit confused, but I think that ETTR + PostDeflicker has nothing to do with Bulb Ramping for timelapses. In addition, ETTR is not enabled for 650D, that is still in progress.

I have just installed ML and Bulb Ramping is not there, so I would like to know if this feature will be enable in a near future :-)

Regards,

Daniel

Walter Schulz

Quote from: dalanz on August 15, 2013, 01:39:56 PMIn addition, ETTR is not enabled for 650D, that is still in progress.

You may wrong here. Download satriani's newest build from his dropbox and copy the files over

Ciao
Walter

JKB2013

I´ve uploaded an h264 vs raw comparison video, the difference is huge.
In my opinion it´s a really useful function in many situations, even though the workflow is more complicated.

dalanz

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 15, 2013, 05:10:45 PM
You may wrong here. Download satriani's newest build from his dropbox and copy the files over

Ciao
Walter

Ok! Thank you

delorossa

@ JKB2013

and wich one is REC with Raw??? right or left???

JKB2013

Quote from: delorossa on August 15, 2013, 10:09:13 PM
@ JKB2013

and wich one is REC with Raw??? right or left???

The clip you see first is h264.
So the left one is raw.

GaryTavish

Hello,I really love this awesome FW, it make every thing easy when I use my old YASHICA lens. about 3 weeks ago, My 650D send to canon to clean,I borrow a 600D from my friend, and I install ML on his 600D, But he told me uninstall ML totally before I return his 600D,because he just take photo and don't need ML. So I want to know, How to uninstall ML even BOOTDISK flag in camera.(I know I can uninstall by format SD Card and Clean all user setting in canon menu to clean NVRAM,But it still BOOTDISK flag in camera,right?) BTW,I'm still study in university, my major is Electron Technology,and I have a part-time job work with Embedded system:)

dngrhm

Quote from: GaryTavish on August 15, 2013, 10:42:24 PM
How to uninstall ML even BOOTDISK flag in camera
You can't that I'm aware of.  Maybe "re-upgading" the firmware will, but I don't know for sure.

This really isn't a major concern as the camera BOOTFLAG doesn't affect function unless you have an SD card with ML on it.

Formatting the card in camera with ML running and pressing Q to erase ML from the SD card will also clear the BOOTFLAG on that card.  Should be all you need to do.

GaryTavish

Quote from: dngrhm on August 15, 2013, 10:54:49 PM
You can't that I'm aware of.  Maybe "re-upgading" the firmware will, but I don't know for sure.

This really isn't a major concern as the camera BOOTFLAG doesn't affect function unless you have an SD card with ML on it.

Formatting the card in camera with ML running and pressing Q to erase ML from the SD card will also clear the BOOTFLAG on that card.  Should be all you need to do.

satriani

Hey guys,
just for info, the link to daily builds for 650D was changed, so you find it from now here or just take a look to my signature.
BTW: There are no changes in source, so no updates. I think the devs doing a little pause  :P
Cameras: Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 650D
Lenses: 2x CanonEF-S 18-135 IS STM, Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG HSM Art
Daily builds