Canon 650D / T4i

Started by nanomad, August 03, 2013, 07:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Not really. Just some intial testing with different lossless 14/12/10 to verify it's working. Also check if crop_rec is working.
Bouncyball asking for samples:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16054.msg191489#msg191489
Thanks.

dfort

Nice work @Danne

Walter -- got a new build with Danne's fix and the latest a1ex commits from just a few hours ago.

Any other 650D user who wants to try it, look for the test build at the top of the list:

https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads/

Looking for short MLV files using various settings, especially crop_rec 3x3. Set the Canon menu to 1280x720, turn on the crop_rec module and use FPS override to 24fps. Also interested how close to 1920x1080 this camera can get. This is zoom mode. Set Canon menu to 1920x1080, hit the magnifying glass button until you get to 5x and check out what image size you can get.

One thing that we know is broken is FRSP lossless compression. I've got a pull request open for that. I'll admit it is a hack but it works.

saulbass

Tested on a 650D with dforts crop_rec_4k.2017Oct11.650D104.zip

loaded mlv-lite
loaded crop-rec
loaded silent

set 14bit lossless on a fast SD card
Crop Rec Enabled
Tried 1920x1080 but camera set itself to 1792x1008
Recording had red light on all the time - but managed 410 frames.

As you can see there are some problems with the picture but this is very encouraging. Thank you.

(The mlv is being viewed through MLV.App.v0.8.alpha.OSX.zip)

I tried 1280x720 14bitLossless but the same block scan line patterning is still there.

saulbass

Here is the 1280x720 file.

FWIW MLV.App.v0.8.alpha.OSX.zip managed to convert both the mlv files into Prores - so the actual mlv file is well formed - just the pixel structure - how this relates to the focus pixel issue I'm not sure.

So close - the data rate reduction will make a big difference with the 650D

dfort

Quote from: saulbass on October 12, 2017, 12:25:54 AM
Crop Rec Enabled
Tried 1920x1080 but camera set itself to 1792x1008

If you want to use the crop_rec module you need to set the Canon menu to 1280x720. The maximum resolution in that setting is 1648x724. You'll need to turn on FPS override and use 24fps. Also, use the smallest bit depth with lossless compression to get the longest recording time.

If you want to get the highest possible resolution, you'll need to use zoom mode. Set the Canon menu to 1920x1080, press the magnifying glass button until you're at 5x then go into the MLV settings and you should be able to crank it all the way up to 2520x1072.

The dirty little secret of these inexpensive crop sensor Canon cameras is that even though they can record 1920x1080 H.264 movie files, apparently the sensor is using only 1736x1152 pixels and scaling up the image. The C100 and other pro cinema cameras have 4k sensors and downsample the image. The only ML supported camera that I'm aware of that can shoot 1920x1080 on the full sensor (without cropping) is the 5D3.

Still, 2520x1072 on the 650D ain't too shabby, albeit by cropping the sensor.

As far as processing these files, it looks like MLV.App isn't quite there yet--hey, we just got this working less than a day ago. Since you're on a Mac I'd recommend using Danne's Switch app. He is making updates to his app as fast as new features are being added to this camera.

Finally, we need sample MLV files from the 650D to make sure we're handling the focus pixels properly.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: dfort on October 12, 2017, 01:28:06 AM
As far as processing these files, it looks like MLV.App isn't quite there yet--hey, we just got this working less than a day ago. Since you're on a Mac I'd recommend using Danne's Switch app. He is making updates to his app as fast as new features are being added to this camera.

I wholeheartedly agreed.

Quote from: dfort on October 12, 2017, 01:28:06 AM
Finally, we need sample MLV files from the 650D to make sure we're handling the focus pixels properly.

+2
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

saulbass

I used dforts instructions from yesterday and managed to get the 650D set to 2512 x 1072. The horizontal bars are still there however... The camera managed about 4 seconds. I tried different image quality / compression settings but they didn't make much difference.  I can't see any focus pixels. I tried using Danne's Switch App - looks good I used it for the first image. I attached two stills of what I got. I have a 300Mb MLV if needed but not sure how to upload or transfer it. I could use Hightail but will need an address to send it. As you can see I'm not quite sure what I am doing...

a1ex

Do you see these artifacts on mlv_lite's Framing preview? If yes, that's some misconfiguration of the LiveView registers; to fix it, a 650D owner will have to use adtg_gui (Downloads - Modules) and fiddle with it to figure it out.

Does it make a difference if you select different data formats? (in particular, 14-bit lossless and 12-bit lossless).

To diagnose, I need you to run a little test (edited - the original scenario didn't work):
- prepare a static scene with some overexposed highlight in it (any amount will do)
- load mlv_lite, silent and raw_diag (the latter is at Downloads - Modules)
- set camera to movie mode, 720p
- enable RAW diagnostics, Optical Black + DR, Optical Black Zones, Dump RAW Buffer, Auto Screenshot
- don't enable raw video yet
- in LiveView, press shutter halfway for 1 second to capture the image; copy RAW.DNG to PC now
- enable RAW video, disable SRM memory, enable 12-bit lossless compression
- disable and re-enable RAW video just in case
- in LiveView, press shutter halfway for 1 second to capture a second image (also named RAW.DNG)
- disable RAW video and enable the Silent Picture option (simple)
- capture one regular DNG and one lossless DNG (these are auto-numbered, no need to fiddle)

So far, you've got two RAW.DNG, two numbered DNGs and four screenshots (PPM).

Repeat the above with crop_rec 3x3.

In total, you'll get 8 DNG images and 8 screenshots (way below 300MB).

saulbass

@a1ex - the banding artifacts that you can see in the images posted previously above do not appear in mlv_lites preview - no matter which compression format is selected.
What does happen is if I select the 3x3 zoom, my white highlights turn pink - not
sure why this happens I tried adjusting my iso and aperture but the pink highlights remain. This is common to 14.12.10 bit image formats. If I selected the next zoom ratio the pink highlights go away again and stay gone if I return to non zoom mode.

I haven't had time yet to do the specific tests you've asked for but I did some testing tonight filming a very bright light
in my shot and the banding that you see in my previous post above is still there - in all the compression modes.

Also and I'm using the fastest san disc I can for the 650D my record times are very short when using Dforts 650D test build. i.e. 2 seconds. Im not sure if this is a feature of his build or again something else is happening...

What is interesting and positive is that the dreaded focus pixels seem to have gone - at least that seems to be the case when viewing the mlvs. So that's really positive. Also I should point out that I think this is the case if I use Dforts 650D test build and dont use the zoom - just set the camera to 720p and mlv lite gives me 1728x584 which without focus pixels is very useful but I need to check this again.

I'll try and do the tests you've requested over the weekend.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: saulbass on October 14, 2017, 03:26:52 AM
Also and I'm using the fastest san disc I can for the 650D my record times are very short when using Dforts 650D test build. i.e. 2 seconds. Im not sure if this is a feature of his build or again something else is happening...

Most likely not formatted with ExFAT. If card is 32 GB or less you have to do it using a cardreader  and redo ML  installation. And giving the exact card name is always a good idea. But run a benchmark test: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=20454.msg189640#post_C213

dfort

There have been some changes to the crop_rec_4k pull request so I posted a new build. No black bar at the top! Please use this latest build for testing. As always, look for it on my Bitbucket download page:

@saulbass - I'm not sure what settings you are using but if you are trying out crop_rec and want longer recording times, you need to use FPS override to pull back the frame rate to something the write speed of your camera can handle.  One of the main attractions to the crop_rec 3x3_1X mode is being able to shoot 50/60 frames per second without having the terrible aliasing of mv720. Of course high frame rates require high write speeds.

Just a reminder for 650D users if you want to help out with development:

Quote from: a1ex on October 13, 2017, 08:51:16 AM
I need you to run a little test

Danne

Walter Schulz

Unable to perform second test picture
Quote- enable RAW video, disable SRM memory, enable 12-bit lossless compression
Cannot select 12-bit losless compression. Bottom line orange: "Lossless 8..12-bit not working with increased resolution." Changing resolution won't help.

dfort

Quote from: a1ex on October 13, 2017, 08:51:16 AM
- enable RAW video, disable SRM memory, enable 12-bit lossless compression
- disable and re-enable RAW video just in case

Confirmed Walter's report. Can't select 12-bit or 11...8-bit lossless while the Canon menu is set to Movie rec. size 1280x720/60

a1ex

Hm... okay, you can patch it in mlv_lite.c:raw_digital_gain_ok (for a quick test, just return 1).

dfort

Quote from: a1ex on October 15, 2017, 09:44:53 AM
...can patch it in mlv_lite.c:raw_digital_gain_ok (for a quick test, just return 1).

Got it working. Posted a new 650D test build including the ISO research tools modules here:

We made some changes that also affect EOSM/100D/700D so later today I'll run the test on my 700D to verify on that camera. (650D and 700D are nearly the same camera.)

Walter Schulz

Test files. Hope I did it right.
(Reversed order for silent pics).
http://filehorst.de/d/czbrscss

a1ex

Uncompressed files are clean; the banding defect is only on the losslessly compressed DNG. It may require additional fine-tuning on registers related to resolution (tuning that apparently is not needed on other cameras).

The 12-bit DNG is fine (no white level issues).

For skip offsets, the 700D/100D ones are a better match - we should unify them.

Can you also try a full-res silent lossless picture?

saulbass

Just checked dforts latest build - crop_rec_4k.2017Oct15.650D104 and have to say am absolutely stoked with the results - without crop-rec I am getting 1728x584 12 bit raw on my 650D - I think continuous but most importantly the image is clean - no focus pixels which is HUGE for us lowly 650D ML types! Really impressive. a1ex I'll try your test's with the latest build - for some reason the raw_diag didnt seem to work with the earlier build - (possibly operator error ;). Also the other good news is that with this latest build I can just use the generic Footage 0.31 to view/convert files on the mac - so - really this is substantial step forward for users of this humble camera. No doubt we can squeeze more resolution with the crop-rec 3x3 thing.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: a1ex on October 15, 2017, 08:27:43 PM
Can you also try a full-res silent lossless picture?

Unable to get FRSP (Edit: lossless and standard) with modules loaded as requested above. Tried photo and video mode.
Which modules do you want to be loaded during this test?

Danne

Might be needing dfort fix for lossless silent files. Out driving atm..

dfort

Yes, FRSP isn't working unless you apply my rather hackish fix. This should also work with the 650D.

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/858/fix-lossless-compression-on-frsp-for-eosm/diff

I tried running through the steps for the test a1ex is asking for and I ran into another snag. The uncompressed and 12-bit lossless files are the same size so my test (on the 700D) isn't valid.

Here's my test -- which needs to be run on a 650D:

QuoteTo diagnose, I need you to run a little test (edited - the original scenario didn't work):
- prepare a static scene with some overexposed highlight in it (any amount will do)

Quote- load mlv_lite, silent and raw_diag (the latter is at Downloads - Modules)

The raw_diag module is located here under ISO research tools.

Quote- set camera to movie mode, 720p

Quote- enable RAW diagnostics, Optical Black + DR, Optical Black Zones, Dump RAW Buffer, Auto Screenshot

Quote- don't enable raw video yet
- in LiveView, press shutter halfway for 1 second to capture the image; copy RAW.DNG to PC now

Quote- enable RAW video, disable SRM memory, enable 12-bit lossless compression

This was possible using the tip posted by a1ex.

Quote- disable and re-enable RAW video just in case
- in LiveView, press shutter halfway for 1 second to capture a second image (also named RAW.DNG)

So this DNG is the same size as the first (uncompressed) DNG. Can't be.

Quote- disable RAW video and enable the Silent Picture option (simple)
- capture one regular DNG and one lossless DNG (these are auto-numbered, no need to fiddle)

That did work. The 14-bit DNG is 2.3 MB and the 14-bit lossless is 1.7 MB.

QuoteSo far, you've got two RAW.DNG, two numbered DNGs and four screenshots (PPM).

Repeat the above with crop_rec 3x3.

Here is what crop_rec 3x3 looks like - 14-bit lossless:

QuoteIn total, you'll get 8 DNG images and 8 screenshots (way below 300MB).

I could post the files from this test but it looks like it isn't valid because we don't have 12-bit lossless compressed clips.

a1ex

Quote from: dfort on October 15, 2017, 11:55:34 PM
So this DNG is the same size as the firs (uncompressed) DNG. Can't be.

That's OK - raw_diag only saves uncompressed 14-bit. Look at Walter's samples - both RAW.DNG's are fine (same size, different levels).

dfort

Ok--we're good then? There seems to be a problem with the lossless DNG from Walter's 650D test. Did I get an address wrong?