Thread photos dual iso

Started by Danne, July 30, 2013, 09:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axelcine

@dfort and @DeafEyeJedi - I am afraid I'm getting ahead of the topic of this particular thread, so I started a new thread under General Chat, http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16082.new#new
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

dynalmadman

From a total noob. Intrigued by the concept of Dual ISO. Understand the concept. Installed the LR Plugin. Set my 70d to 100/1600 and took a completely nondescript photo.

Imported the cr2 into LR and with no adjustments, exported using the cr2HDR plugin.

Then exported the DNG to a 90% jpg, and again, no adjustments, here are the results:

Camera JPG:
IMG_5847 by Michael, on Flickr

Dual ISO JPG:
IMG_5847-dualiso by Michael, on Flickr

The text file:

Active options:
--amaze-edge    : use a temporary demosaic step (AMaZE) followed by edge-directed interpolation (default)
--cs2x2         : apply 2x2 chroma smoothing in noisy and aliased areas (default)
--no-bad-pix    : disable bad pixel fixing (try it if you shoot stars)
--wb=graymax    : set AsShotNeutral by maximizing the number of gray pixels (default)

Camera          : Canon EOS 70D
Full size       : 5568 x 3708
Active area     : 5496 x 3670
Black borders   : 72 left, 38 top
Black level     : 2048
ISO pattern     : BddB RGGB
White levels    : 10000 12196
Noise levels    : 19.76 6.36 6.42 18.88 (14-bit)
ISO difference  : 4.05 EV (1654)
Black delta     : 3.92
Black adjust    : -7
Dynamic range   : 10.29 (+) 9.00 => 13.05 EV (in theory)
AMaZE interpolation ...
Amaze took 1.67 s
Edge-directed interpolation...
Semi-overexposed: 0.05%
Deep shadows    : 93.52%
Horizontal stripe fix...
Full-res reconstruction...
ISO overlap     : 3.2 EV (approx)
Half-res blending...
Chroma smoothing...
Building alias map...
Filtering alias map...
Smoothing alias map...
Final blending...
Noise level     : 60.68 (20-bit), ideally 60.56
Dynamic range   : 13.03 EV (cooked)
Black adjust    : -11
AsShotNeutral   : 0.42 1 0.52, 5414K/g=0.67 (gray max)

I don't even know what I am doing, and this is incredible!

Now, why do I want to pair this with ETTR?

Thanks,
Michael
70D ML B version.

david az

canon 5d mark 2
canon ef 50mm f/1.4 usm /canon ef 85mm f/1.8 usm
canon speedlite 600ex-rt

imagineD

My first DualIso experiment with Canon 650D
I am really amazed from this function.

HappyBlack

Love the non-HDR, natural look and your coloring taste, Kidfob.
Great use of the dual iso.

Mind sharing camera specs?

kidfob

Thanks HappyBlack.

5D Mark 3. Canon L glass.

Detailed camera fstop and shutter specs are on the flickr info if you click the image and go to the picture page.

DeafEyeJedi

Nice work, @kidfob and which converter did you use to spit out the DNG's?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

kidfob

Appreciate it DeafEye. I got tired of the Lightroom plugin, so I use cr2hdr and an application I created myself to batch process folders of CR2s and DNGs (I've called it Dual ISO Processor). I will create a new thread and release the app to the community as open source by the end of this week.

What made you ask? Did something seem unconventional about what I was doing? :)

Levas

Does the app also use the 20bit cr2hdr and is it made for mac or windows ?

DeafEyeJedi

Just curious if you had used the recent updated 20-bit cr2hdr version that's all. Looking forward to your application.

If you are on Mac ... Check out MLVFS or MLP which both are incredible apps.

kidfob

Levas & DeafEye, I believe the latest version of cr2hdr (Nov 24, 2015) is automatically 20-bit:
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/view/Other%20tasks/job/cr2hdr-20bit/

Anyhow, the app allows the user to point to the folder where cr2hdr is located so any version will work. The above is the version I tested with though.

It's a Windows Application. Perhaps someone can do a Mac Port if they feel its useful. Not sure what other folks are using to batch process Dual ISO images. I used to use the VB Script that was posted here a while back, but I wanted something powerful enough to process an entire directory structure and give diagnostic info and such.

MLVFS didnt work for me too well when I tried it. Im stil lan MLVRawViewer (and MLVMystic if any files give me trouble) guy.

MLProducer didnt play nice with me. I wanted to go from MLV to DNG. It seemed to want to convert to intermediary video formats. Maybe it was user error on my part....

DeafEyeJedi

Gotcha ... Sounds good and also with some of your shots it seems you were exposing for the highlights ... Try to use a little more of ETTR and then pull down in post. That way you will get less noise in the shadows and the highlights should still be there hence the full purpose of Dual-ISO.

Levas

Ah windows application, no problem I'll keep on using the lightroom plugin.

Danne

I made MLP for mac work multithreaded and made dcraw snatch the correct white balance multipliers added to the created DNG files so using that is an alternative if you work with bigger batches of CR2 dual iso files.

MLP
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13512.msg130562#msg130562

kidfob

Deafeye can you elaborate  on that? How can you tell I'm exposing for highlights? I actually thought I was exposing to the right. Shall I post the original DNGs so we can take a look at the histogram?

Can you post an image that looks like it used ETTR and dual iso?

Thanks

tonij

Hello,
Playing around with ML for the first time and the Dual ISO feature is amazing!
This is my first pic and I already see the potential!
7D + Sigma 18-35 lens + ISO 100/1600

And how it would have looked at just ISO 100 (TERRIBLE!)

mfturner

I have seen at lot of landscape and indoor examples for dual_iso, but not many wildlife or bird photos.  Birds in flight are almost always backlit, either bright sun or overcast clouds creating a silhouette.  Anything around water has specular highlights.  So dual_iso sounded like it was worth trying and I was not disappointed.  Everything below is 100/800 ISO on a 60D camera with a 300F4L lens, exposed using auto_expo with a few changes, -0.5 EV to protect hightlights exposed at ISO 100, and keep the shutter fast enough for active critters.

First attempt is my dynamic range winner at 13.08 EV on a 60D camera, too bad it isn't in great focus LOL.  I'll have to go back and see if that bird hangs around that pond.

IMG_6724pxs by Mark Turner, on Flickr

Another on the pond, with 12.78 EV if I recall correctly:

IMG_6613xs by Mark Turner, on Flickr

Even small birds in trees with black feathering benefit in the feather detail, this one is a fairly heavy crop:

IMG_6656xs by Mark Turner, on Flickr

Now something interesting I found was that particularly in photos of this osprey flying, with large blue sky surrounding the bird, the shadows of the bird took on a heavy horizontal banding artifact in a lot of the photos.  Not in all, but in maybe 60%.  With birds and wildlife in general you cannot always get as close to the subject as you might like, so heavy cropping is sometimes the only option, and this is when artifacts such as this banding become an issue.  It is always accompanied with the cr2hdr complaint "Horizontal Stripe Fix...Offset too large", but I think this is just a symptom, I think the fullres algorithm is related to the problem because I can eliminate it entirely with --no-fullres option, at the expense of resolution of course.  Here is an example, first the full frame image where you won't see any real problems, for reference:

IMG_6589xs by Mark Turner, on Flickr

Next a 900x900 pixel crop at 100%, with default cr2hdr settings, to show the banding, It shows in the preview of this post anyway:

IMG_6589full1x by Mark Turner, on Flickr

And finally a halfres version using the --no-fullres option in cr2hdr.exe.  You can see the resolution loss particularly around the beak, but there's no banding, it's super-smooth...

IMG_6589half1x by Mark Turner, on Flickr

But this is great stuff, I may use dual_iso in alternating mode for a while until I understand the banding a bit more, but some of those shots simply aren't possible with this camera without dual_iso.

a1ex

That banding looks like a bug, can you upload the CR2?

mfturner

Hi A1ex, try this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/urk9rrpczgnjdbz/IMG_6589.CR2?dl=0
Let me know if you can't get to it.  I have other images that do this if you want more examples, most have this feature of an object surrounded by blue sky, but not all.  I tried a couple of versions of cr2hdr, and debugged it this far searching the forum then using --debug-blend to see where it is introduced.  I can manually blend them in gimp (using a layer mask generated from a greyscale copy of the fullres image, then monkeying with the levels a bit to get more details). 

barnabe

One of my really first one. I'm quite happy with the result.

tecgen

Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, 550D/Rebel T2i, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, EF 85 f1.8, EF 135 f2.8 SF, Zoom H2n

DeafEyeJedi

5D3 + 8-15L 1/15th @ f4 ISO 100/1600

Audionut

I think you've protected to many highlights there.  Remember that ISO doesn't fix shot noise, only exposure, and at a rough guess I would say you're probably around a half stop under exposed.  Probably splitting hairs, but in scenes like this with constant scene luminance where you have the time to nail exposure............

Also, personally, I think you've gone a touch heavy with the shadow adjustment.  The first two shots especially look like you've gone more towards the "hey I've got lots of dynamic range" rather then using the contrast to your advantage.  I wasn't there so I don't know how bright things were, but I think I would keep some of those heavy noise areas in the blacks, as blacks.

But I like them, and you know what they say about opinions, everyone has one just like an asshole.

DeafEyeJedi

Actually I totally agree with you @Audionut as you can see I shot those three with each shutter getting longer from 1/20th to 1/13th handheld wide open @ f4 with the maximum acceptable ISO 100/1600 combo and tried my best to have it metered into the middle of the viewfinder but it was about over a half stop under exposed so guess I should have slowed the shutter down even more (or a faster fisheye lens) otherwise then I would need a tripod because apparently I'm not a professional photographer. If you want, I'll post up the DNG's to play with and Thanks for your kind comments & criticism! [emoji3]