Auto exposure algorithm for shooting - auto iso, ae (autoexpo.mo)

Started by pravdomil, July 20, 2013, 10:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pravdomil

I can do pull request, but I think that is too early? Or not?

Doyle4

Used Auto Exposure today with a.d's new build, highly impressed!

Ill be honest and say i dont fully understand the options, if theres a walk through that be great, but so far every image has come out looking like the environment im shooting! good find and nice work!

pravdomil

Thanks for feedback. I added some explanation. Look at the first post.
I'm using it with uniWB and... well it's what I want for years.

xNiNELiVES

Umm how do you merge code with bitbucket? I've just started compiling need help. I don't mean to highjack the thread, sorry.

ShootingStars

pravdomil

added 500D, 550D, 600D, 60D, 6D, EOSM experimental support
no no warranty, I didn't do any tests, I don't have them

Doyle4

Quote from: pravdomil on July 26, 2013, 02:27:08 AM
Thanks for feedback. I added some explanation. Look at the first post.
I'm using it with uniWB and... well it's what I want for years.

Thanks for the explanation guide!

Loving this feature so much man!! Thanks again! ;D

Update: Been testing the difference between Auto Exposure, Full Auto and P Mode, i have to say.... Auto Exposure wins, the difference between Auto Exposure and Full Auto is massive, P mode is like AE little brother, thinks hes right but still not there yet, Auto Exposure...Always looks great  ;D

pravdomil

and what setting do you use?
you can apend screenshot / autoexpo.cfg if you want

I really don't know why Canon implement such a weak ae functionality. Probably it will be same case like with the raw video.

Doyle4

Quote from: pravdomil on July 26, 2013, 07:24:36 PM
and what setting do you use?
you can apend screenshot / autoexpo.cfg if you want

I really don't know why Canon implement such a weak ae functionality. Probably it will be same case like with the raw video.

TV Minimum: 1/88
AV range: f/2 - f/8 (change depending what im shooting)
AV curve: 14.0 - 1.0 EVpEV
ISO Range: 100 - 800 (be nice to have a setting that can choose iso 320, i find that to be cleaner than iso 100, theres a site that has tested the iso range and found that 100 iso is a software tweak of 320, how true that is i dont know)
ISO Cure: 2.5 - +1.0 EVpEV
Lock ISO&AV: Off

These are guess settings as still unsure what everything is, iv read the guide but taking a little time for me to process it, im not good with technical terms ill be honest, i just play around till i think it looks right lol.

I dont know how to post images im afraid, i thought it was a simple upload jobby but from what i can see i cant find an upload button.

pravdomil

well iso 320 is a strange thing
yes, I also need more practise with it
is good to know some basic knowledge of APEX and Exposure values, it will help you a lot
there is no upload buttons you have to use some external image hosting

Doyle4

Not a problem if 320 cant be achieved as the results so far are great.

Will look into the settings more when i can :)

And thanks, ill look for a hosting site next time.

what is autoexpo.mo? i see a.d has posted it?

Update: autoexpo.mo is the module  :)

Doyle4

brapodam

I have a question: do you set the BV yourself or does the module do that for you? I have no idea how to compile ML, so I can't try it

Doyle4

Im not still too sure dude,

What i did was turn off AE, used manual and pointed it around my garden and looked at what shutter speeds would be needed for different part of it by looking at the meter, i changed to AV mode and looked at what Canon thought was best for apertures, i then made sure the shutter speed had a few drops below just incase, and min and maxed the appature to lil more and less than AV was saying, Along way round it but its helped me kinda understand AE a lil better.

For 5Dmkii AE has been added into the 25th July build, other models im not too sure.

pravdomil

BV value is computed from the current scene
look at the first post there is some new installation instructions

marekk

mihaii

Thank you very much, you bypassed the AUTO ISO problem 5D2 had ..

brapodam

Quote from: marekk on July 27, 2013, 11:12:13 AM
I think it works really nice on 60D.
Ditto on that. However I still need to spend some time with it first to understand how it works. I initially thought that you could just leave the minimum ISO at 100 and forget about it and just tweak the aperture range, max ISO and minimum shutter speed. I found that it was not the case, and that I had to increase the minimum ISO in low light situations before it would select a higher ISO for proper exposure, regardless of my max ISO setting. (Or am I doing it wrong?)

pravdomil

Quote from: brapodam on July 27, 2013, 01:04:26 PM
I had to increase the minimum ISO in low light situations before it would select a higher ISO for proper exposure, regardless of my max ISO setting. (Or am I doing it wrong?)

please please, read the whole help guide in the first post
this hack has configurable ISO curve, you can exatly set how the ISO will be increased
spend some time by reading some help
and default values fits to 5D2, which is fullframe

brapodam

Quote from: pravdomil on July 27, 2013, 01:08:36 PM
please please, read the whole help guide in the first post
this hack has configurable ISO curve, you can exatly set how the ISO will be increased
spend some time by reading some help
and default values fits to 5D2, which is fullframe
As I said, the problem is with me not fully understanding how the thing works, and not your code. I've already read the first post already but I still do not fully understand how this should work, though I have a better idea after playing around with it for a while.

Doyle4

Quote from: brapodam on July 27, 2013, 04:40:42 PM
As I said, the problem is with me not fully understanding how the thing works, and not your code. I've already read the first post already but I still do not fully understand how this should work, though I have a better idea after playing around with it for a while.

Set ISO to a manual number say 100 as you would normal, also see if auto ISO is on, if so do the first part this post, i know what your meaning as i had this problem, i think i had auto iso on, if auto iso dosnt make a difference then im not sure,

brapodam

Quote from: Doyle4 on July 27, 2013, 08:19:07 PM
Set ISO to a manual number say 100 as you would normal, also see if auto ISO is on, if so do the first part this post, i know what your meaning as i had this problem, i think i had auto iso on, if auto iso dosnt make a difference then im not sure,
I don't have ML auto ISO module though, and I didn't set ISO to auto from Canon menu.

Anyway, is there any way to use this as an aperture priority with auto ISO? There are many times where setting the aperture you want is more important than using the lowest ISO possible. For instance, in an indoor event where, say, you use a 24-70 f2.8 or 17-50 f2.8. You want to set the max aperture to 2.8 (or leave it at the default 1.4) to shoot normal shots, but for group shots, you don't want to use f2.8, and instead something like f5.6. If you dial in f5.6, the module just meters and sets it back to f2.8

Maybe a "link to canon shutter" like the auto ettr min. shutter speed setting can be implemented (except in this case, link the Canon aperture setting to max aperture)?

Doyle4

Quote from: brapodam on July 28, 2013, 03:38:08 AM
I don't have ML auto ISO module though, and I didn't set ISO to auto from Canon menu.

Anyway, is there any way to use this as an aperture priority with auto ISO? There are many times where setting the aperture you want is more important than using the lowest ISO possible. For instance, in an indoor event where, say, you use a 24-70 f2.8 or 17-50 f2.8. You want to set the max aperture to 2.8 (or leave it at the default 1.4) to shoot normal shots, but for group shots, you don't want to use f2.8, and instead something like f5.6. If you dial in f5.6, the module just meters and sets it back to f2.8

Maybe a "link to canon shutter" like the auto ettr min. shutter speed setting can be implemented (except in this case, link the Canon aperture setting to max aperture)?

What you are saying is what you ca do.. if for instance you want to do a group shot and you dont want 2.8 set the AV to from 5.6 to 16 for instance? This is quite a complex module.

brapodam

Quote from: Doyle4 on July 28, 2013, 10:43:52 AM
What you are saying is what you ca do.. if for instance you want to do a group shot and you dont want 2.8 set the AV to from 5.6 to 16 for instance? This is quite a complex module.
Yes, but there's no fast way of doing it. If you can, say, control that setting with the rear dial, it would be significantly faster