Movie Recording Stopped Automatically 60D

Started by GingerGarden, July 17, 2013, 07:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GingerGarden

Hi,

My 60D comes up with the error message "Movie Recording Stopped Automatically" way too many times when I am recording video with magic lantern installed on my SD card.

I used and SD card that didn't have ML on it and the error didn't come up once.

I am using a Scandisk ultra 16GB class 10 card that writes at 30MB/s.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Francis

Bitrate increased? FPS override being used without disabling audio record? You're going to have to give more information.

GingerGarden

Bit Rate (CBR): 1.0x (FW default).
FPS Override: OFF

Only options ON:
-Time Indicator
-Movie Restart
-Force LiveView

Anything else I should include?

ItsMeLenny

A couple of other people, including myself, had this problem in the past.
The fix was the reformat the SD card.
Fully format it in the computer, then do a low level format in the camera.
So it's wiped and clean as possible. Then enable boot flag and put ML back on.

GingerGarden

Awesome, thank you.
I just reformatted my SD card on my mac and now I am going to do a low-level format and see if it works.

What do you use when you format it on your computer? MS-DOS (FAT) or MAC OS-Extended?

Also, do I enable boot flag before putting ML back on?

GingerGarden

Well, I just finished putting ML back onto my camera and went outside for some test shots. The message came up twice within 5 minutes.

This is what I did in order of appearance:
-Formatted the SD card on my computer: MS-DOS (FAT)
-Low-level format on camera
-cleared camera settings
-unzipped ML then transferred contents onto the root of the SD
-Changed camera settings to manual
-updated firmware with SD card
-ML bootflag was enabled
-Restarted camera
-Changed video exposure to manual
-Started recording

First video lasted about 2min. then message appeared. No more than a minute later, the message appeared again.

I haven't changed any settings, no override FPS or bit rate.

ItsMeLenny

I don't format the card to anything in the computer.

Here's what my steps would be:
- format card in computer so it has no partition
- insert card into camera (camera complains)
- low level format
- insert card back into computer
- use program to set boot flag (in my case make_bootable.sh)
- copy ML across (files, folders, and .bin)
- insert back into camera
- ready to go.

I never use the update firmware for the card, I used it once to alter the boot flag of the camera.

GingerGarden

Thank you for helping, but it seems no matter what I try I can't get passed this. I did everything you said (except setting boot flag) and it didn't work.

The camera still comes up with the message way too much.

GingerGarden

Went out and bought two new SD cards that write at 45mb/s rather than the 30mb/s that I was using. WORKS FLAWLESSLY!  :D

If anyone else is having this problem then they should upgrade to a faster SD card.

Thanks again for all the help!

Datadogie

It could be that you have been sold a relabelled class 4 sd card.
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

samoa420

Solved .... Hi i have 2 different memory card a Sony 16gb class 10 40mb/s and a Pny 32gb class 10 20mb/s and it always stop recording every 5-10 sec. what i did was reset my magic lantern back to default settings and it still did the same thing and the only thing i know i change was the white balance on the camera.  so i put that back to auto and everything works again i hope that help good luck

bsridev

Hey

You have to use fastest Memory Card to avoid those (Movie Recording Stopped Automatically 60D) kind of high speed recording problem.

Ex:
Imagine you shooting @ Raw means you generating 24*25MB = 600MB/1sec , so need good memory cards to capture the same.

So get the the memory card with good writing speed.

Thanks

Walter Schulz

No matter how fast your card is: 60D will only be able to use SD-card interface and Canon implemented a rather slow one.
You are limited to about 21 MByte/s continuous write rate.
Faster cards will do better than slow ones (of course) but bottleneck cannot be bypassed.
If you're using RAW/MLV modes faster than that frames will be dropped because buffer memory is filled up and drain (=SD card interface) is too slow to get all the data written to card. ML default is to stop recording after frame loss. You may change that if you know what you're doing.

650D will do a little bit better. 720p24 is possible. But 650D's SD-card interface has about twice the speed compared to 60D.

wisdompaulo

For me what worked was to lower the recording bit rate inside Magic Lantern to 0.9x instead of the 1.0x default it came with. Since then the message stopped showing.