Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 16, 2013, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

6D actually looks doable for LV and photo, maybe need to try to set dual ISO manually. I'm just not sure if its

ISO1 0 ISO2 in ISO1 reg address
or

ISO2 0 ISO1 in ISO2 address, etc.

I guess I have to experiment.

a1ex

What happens if you set *(uint16_t*)40450E08 = 0x50 or 0x05?

I'd say ISO_BITS=4, FLAG_BITS=0.

1%

I just took off some of the checks and got some interesting raw shots. It looks striped. Looking at the CR2s and then will just try to set it like that.

I kept getting error 1 and reg = 3... then got error 5 that prev iso was less than 10.

Here is one from 6D.
http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=KSwEmqWs8

robinlee

1%

Ok, after conversion the pic looks normal. So now I'll try setting the 0x50, 0x05, etc. It *looks* like its working but I'd need some scene to obviously test on. Both in LV and photo it does the same thing. Opening original CR2 is filled with black horizontal lines... is this how it should be?

0x50 turns everything solid black.... bummer, i should try 0x70 but from filming in lv a second ago it does appear to be working. The shadows lit up when I turned on dual iso... of course have the undulating black lines in the preview. The way it could be not working if its just set  iso 1600 and the black really is just black.

a1ex

Yep, it's working.

My dcraw doesn't know the black border sizes for 6D; maybe fix it and send a patch to Dave Coffin? or maybe the latest one already fixed it.

Some checks may not be needed; they are mostly to make sure the address doesn't change over time (and if it does, to prevent unwanted side effects).

1%

I think the latest latest dcraw it was fixed. First version of it and raw-therapee I could see the black borders and before the meta data method counted them like that.

So bitbucket took the upload and never listed it, now upload box is gone again... sdlfjasdljfklasjdfklasdjflasjdfl

http://www.filedropper.com/6ddualiso-fullpack

a1ex

Quote2. changing the recovery ISO has a bug, after entering submenu i can change it to 3200 for example. exiting sub menu I can see the the dual iso reads 100/1600 still.

This is not a bug, max analog ISO in 5D2 seems to be 1600. Maybe I should remove the higher ISOs from menu.

QuoteThe converter seems to have trouble converting certain lighting conitions such bright backgrounds with smaller subjects lika flying duck for instance?

I'm afraid it needs robust linear regression in estimate_iso (plain least squares is too sensitive to outliers). Can you find a simple method for doing that? Exif info won't do, I need precise fitting.

1%

So for 50D how to handle the binary 100 at the end? Is that the CMOS expected flag? I think 100 is 4dec

a1ex

Yeah, the post from Elmeri makes sense. 3 bits for flag and 3 for ISO?

1%

It doesn't do ISO FLAG ISO FLAG that way? It will work just 3, 3 and expected flag of 4?

a1ex

The current algorithm only knows ISO ISO FLAG, and the 50D seems to follow this pattern. The flag is not really used (it's just preserved and used for the internal checks).

The exact meaning of the ISO field doesn't really matter (it's copied from the higher ISO to the lower ISO). So far it had ascending values. As long as it repeats, it should work.

oddname

Will the 5D2 be able to do dual-iso raw video like the mk3 or just too old hardware?
If I read right that the mk3 can do that :)

Francis

Working on the 5D2 fine for me. I'm trying to figure out how to put it to the test. I'll post some samples in the coming days.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Francis on August 11, 2013, 10:09:28 PM
Working on the 5D2 fine for me. I'm trying to figure out how to put it to the test. I'll post some samples in the coming days.

Will test any builds posted for 5D2. I suppose this thread's opening post should be updated, along with the title?

1%

5DII has multiple regs in LV? 50D probably won't work in LV as its just one REG, I can try to set the spacing to 0.

It doesn't do anything in LV so far but photo works.

cr2hdr doesn't take wildcards in windows but on linux its working, odd.

jgerstel

Hi, just installed dual iso andy600 build on my 50D, but can not find any CR2HDR tool for Mac OSX. Is there any CR2HDR or alternative tool for mac?

arturochu

Hey Alex, when is the new raw2dng with new algorithm for dual isos coming? just shot around 140 gb pure dual iso raw video crazy stuff, haha.
Chu

Francis

Building the cr2hdr tool in a mac environment is super easy. Just follow the instructions for downloading the source repository and a prebuilt tool-chain in the 'getting started with development' thread. Then make in the dual_iso modules folder. It builds both the module and cr2hdr.

Here is the binary built as of Aug 11th. cr2hdr for Mac

This is a command line version. I would suggest making a symbolic link to where ever you save it in /usr/bin so you can run it in whatever folder you save your images. You also are going to need to install dcraw. I installed it using MacPorts.

ted ramasola

@a1ex

did a test similar to the 7D this one with the 5D2.

100_1600

100 iso only no adjustments.

tell me if you need the cr2 files.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: 1% on August 11, 2013, 10:47:19 PM
5DII has multiple regs in LV? 50D probably won't work in LV as its just one REG, I can try to set the spacing to 0.

It doesn't do anything in LV so far but photo works.

cr2hdr doesn't take wildcards in windows but on linux its working, odd.

Many compliments for this astounding achievement 1% ! For the LV problem, if it can be of help, I can dig inside rom to find more ADTG regs, if this route has not been squeezed dry yet...
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

jgerstel

Quote from: Francis on August 12, 2013, 07:09:58 AM
Building the cr2hdr tool in a mac environment is super easy. Just follow the instructions for downloading the source repository and a prebuilt tool-chain in the 'getting started with development' thread. Then make in the dual_iso modules folder. It builds both the module and cr2hdr.

Here is the binary built as of Aug 11th. cr2hdr for Mac

This is a command line version. I would suggest making a symbolic link to where ever you save it in /usr/bin so you can run it in whatever folder you save your images. You also are going to need to install dcraw. I installed it using MacPorts.

Thanks a lot, but I get error:

studios-mac-pro:canon studio$ ./cr2hdr IMG_0155.CR2

Input file     : IMG_0155.CR2
sh: dcraw: command not found

got Xcode and gcc tools, I will try to compile on local

oscaroo

Francis

Quote from: jgerstel on August 12, 2013, 12:48:35 PM
Thanks a lot, but I get error:

studios-mac-pro:canon studio$ ./cr2hdr IMG_0155.CR2

Input file     : IMG_0155.CR2
sh: dcraw: command not found

got Xcode and gcc tools, I will try to compile on local

You need dcraw. As I said, I used MacPorts to install it. Macports is a command line based package installation system for OSX that is similar to Linux package systems like APT.