Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 16, 2013, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfort

a1ex did some bug fixes on cr2hdr. For those of you who like to live on the cutting edge, here are the latest binaries:

https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads

xorpi

Hello. Your Magic Lantern is a perfect tweak for Canon. When used on Canon EOS 700D I thought I used a new camera. Please would it be possible to create GUI support for Photos APP on OSX EI Capitan as you have it created for Lightroom? Or cooperate with MacPhun and direct support in their new application for bracketing photoshots - Aurora HDR - http://aurorahdr.com/ for direct support your dual iso files and compilated Dual ISO shots. Also is there a possibility for iOS/Android mobile application?
Think Dynamic! #HDR #BW 📸

Photography & FineArt by photofrano 🎨   
www.fb.com/PHOTOFRANO & www.500px.com/PHOTOFRANO

Walter Schulz

Magic Lantern Forum »    Using Magic Lantern »    Post-processing Workflow »    HDR and Dual ISO Postprocessing

nhagman10

Hi guys, I'm a fairly recent convert to ML and would like to say thanks for providing unbelievable tools for free!
I have recently started experimenting with dual ISO timelapses and am excited about the results, but I ran into an issue on a recent attempt.
I have attached a short video that shows my problem, which is unusual discoloration and lines above the horizon in the left half of the frame. Could anyone provide ideas on what is happening and how to fix it?

As for the settings they started at 100/800 ISO, and I accidentally set max aperture time to 1/15 second when kicking off the timelapse. Since I was at F22 I would imagine shutter speed was maxed at 1/15 by sun set, and the ISO was raising. I could find specifics later if need be.

Thanks again for the help everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkOvmBE2QKg

dmilligan

It would be a good idea to post an original, unconverted CR2 from a frame that exhibits the issue.

illwieckz

Hi, is there an easy way to detect a dual iso CR2 file?

I was looking at some exif metadata, I noticed that some dual-iso CR2 files I own have a different BaseIso and AutoIso exif value, so at first I was thinking it was a way to detect them, but in fact I have some non dual-iso CR2 that have also different  BaseIso and AutoIso values (why?) and some dual-iso CR2 that have the exact same value for BaseIso and AutoIso. So, this is not the way to get them.

Is there something in any metadata that can help me to detect them? I want to write a script that walk a directory full of CR2 files and convert dual iso ones automatically. Is it possible?  :)

dmilligan

If you have a directory full of CR2 files, simply run them all through cr2hdr, and only the ones that are actually dual ISO will get converted.

Walter Schulz

You're right: You have to rely on cr2hdr.
Caveat: Cr2hdr will try to detect Dual-ISO files but will sometimes fail because of vastly overexposed/underexposed stripe sets.

Danne

QuoteHi, is there an easy way to detect a dual iso CR2 file?

You can sort them depending on the output message. For instance if it says "doesn,t look like dual iso" move those to a new directory.

Danne

It has to do with white balance or subtle color differences. Not sure. A1ex has mentioned something about it before I believe. I noticed this from another camera before and I believe in MLV format. It has not to do with white/black levels levels. You could post printscreens of picture 9 and 10 to show the difference. Or post a bug report https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues?status=new&status=open

Well, you posted about it yourself here :)
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12796.msg130175#msg130175

Here is one answer from A1ex
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12796.msg130982#msg130982

mothaibaphoto

@Danne
Quote from: Danne on December 21, 2015, 05:30:01 PM
You could post printscreens of picture 9 and 10 to show the difference.
I shared a short MLV with just a dozen of frames - I believe it's better than printscreens.

Or post a bug report https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues?status=new&status=open
I have to deal with bitbucket - account and so on... Ok, I will go that way next time if it's more convinient for developers to get info there.
Well, you posted about it yourself here :)
No, it wasn't me, it was senzazn12 :)
Here is one answer from A1ex
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12796.msg130982#msg130982
Actually it's not answer, it's request for some more examples.
If you mean "to avoid this effect, fine-tune the FPS until the image gets stable" -
I didn't noticed anything while filming with black and white crop mode preview.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: mothaibaphoto on December 21, 2015, 06:50:20 PM
If you mean "to avoid this effect, fine-tune the FPS until the image gets stable" -
I didn't noticed anything while filming with black and white crop mode preview.

Yes, I had learned this in the hard way back then when trying to avoid flickering was due to NOT using Fine-Tune FPS to get the perfect shutter speed which definitely helps reduce the flickering (it's even noticeable on the LCD LiveView on the camera as well) so yes it would be a good idea to use this method as suggested by @a1ex, @Danne and everyone else.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

mothaibaphoto

@DeafEyeJedi:
Examples, I uploaded, was shot on two cameras - MKII&MKIII, in FRSP photo and crop video modes. How can I fine - tune FPS in all these modes? Can you explain? When shoot in FRSP there is natural flickering, easy fixable in post. How can I differentiate natural flickering from this one on LCD? Nohow. And when i shoot crop mode i see just b/w picture. The main frustration with this issue is you can't understand, that something wrong until you convert your files on computer and it's too late to fine-tune something.

Danne

You should probably go out of the b&w mode before you start to film and only be in regular 3x mode if filming in crop mode. The problem as I see it is even if you set the white balance to match the next picture there is a nuance shift in color. Extract picture 9 and 10 and warm both up in ACR. Try fine tuning and to stay off b&w to see if that helps.

mothaibaphoto

Quote from: Danne on December 22, 2015, 09:32:29 AM
You should probably go out of the b&w mode before you start to film and only be in regular 3x mode if filming in crop mode.
Why?
This eliminate this issue? - doubtable, as it exists not just in video mode, but in FRSP too.
Let me see if the flickering happens this time or not? - doubtable, too, plus, issue can happen somewhere in the middle of the shot.
But this definitely don't let me see the correct framing, which equal to disabling preview at all. I tend to disable preview on static shots anyway.
The problem as I see it is even if you set the white balance to match the next picture there is a nuance shift in color.
Yes, something shifts and every time it looks differently, i'm not sure what shifts exactly, but it is not fixable in ACR or with deflicker.
Extract picture 9 and 10 and warm both up in ACR. Try fine tuning and to stay off b&w to see if that helps.
I don't understand, what so special with 9 and 10 picture - why not 2 and 3? I really don't understand what does it mean "Try fine tuning". And if I disable b/w preview - how can I get, does it helps, or not - I shot hundreds videos and just couple with this issue among them all.
The main reason I share this shots not to survive it with any possible efforts, but to help developers to find the potential bug.

dualiso_problem

With lots of tests and an F1.4 lens I think noise with even the lowest settings 100/400 creates grain/noise that is more than wanted... I just want to bring in +1-2EV without additional noise in standard scenarios e.g a living room.

Is such possible with dual iso or is such just a dream?

dmilligan

Well, the lowest setting is going to have the most noise. If you want less noise, use a higher recovery ISO (higher ISOs have less noise per photon).

Technically you can't "bring in 1-2EV" without decreasing the noise b/c then you wouldn't actually be "bringing in 1-2EV". Dynamic range is defined by the noise floor, so reducing noise and increasing the dynamic range are actually the same thing. Dual ISO decreases noise or increases DR, whichever way you want to think about it, but they are the same thing.

LucaDeFranco

Hi there , i got an issue i can't be able to solve. IM A WINDOWS USER.
Im trying to shoot HDR videos and i read on some guides that ones u got the RAW file out of your camera u have to process it with AVISYNTH , here instead i read that i should extract the files ( i use RAWtoCDNG) than drag them into CR2HDR and once processed open them into your editing program.
In the first case i downloaded AVISYNTH but im not able to use it since it doesnt show as a program but as a .dll file.
In the second case once a do everything and i do the CR2HDR process if i drag these output files ( which when i use it in picture mode i dont get any touble) into adobe premiere i get an error.
Also , reading the tutorial given in the beginning of the post , talking about avisynth it talkes about the need to have a "video work folder" which i have no idea what it is.

Is there any solution? am i mistaking during the process? thank you very much for the support

Walter Schulz

Please clarify: Do you use HDR option in movies or do you record video with Dual-ISO?

Frank7D

As far as understanding Avisynth, here's a good place to start: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Main_Page
Basically, you create a text file with Avisynth instructions in it, and open the file in another program (a video editor, processor or player) which interprets it as a video file.

LucaDeFranco

Thank you for answer :
I'm using Dual Iso option in recording and in the first lines of this posts it talks about AVISYNTH...then there is a guide for photo mode and video mode....with photo mode there is no problem...with the video one i get the problem that i illustrated above.
Do i need to use avisynth ( which i don't know how ) or just follow the part that says:

"Postprocessing

- Reference converter: cr2hdr.c (Windows: cr2hdr.exe). It requires dcraw and (optional) exiftool in your executable path (they are in the zip). Drag and drop the CR2 files over cr2hdr.exe.

- For RAW video files: extract the DNGs with any method you like (e.g. raw2dng or mlv_dump), then drag the DNG files over cr2hdr.exe"  ?????

The guide i've been reading is this one : Tutorial - Guide to using Dual ISO Mode on your Canon 5D Mark III

THank you

jakepetre

Guys...All I want is a simple application or plugin that can allow me to work with Dual ISO files. I know I'm probably asking a lot, but, my dream is to not have to learn what binaries are, where they go, how to code, having to type suffix IMG_1234 Dualiso nonsense, or bend over backwards trying to get things to work. The lightroom plugin on mac yields Error #256 and CR2HDR just says 'THE END' when dragging files in. Tried getting MLP to work but there are no clear instructions for the less code-savvy folk like myself.

Danne

Regarding MLP.

1 - install by double clicking MLP(.workflow)
No need to download additionals. Cr2hdr provided already.

2 - create a folder and fill it with your dual iso files. Right click on the folder and choose MLP from the menu. Do this twice as first time creates a folder structure. Second run starts processing.