Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 16, 2013, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaphotog

Quote from: Audionut on July 17, 2013, 03:20:30 AM
I've got a 5D3 build here.
Everything goes into the 'modules' folder, except for the autoexecbin which goes to the root folder of the card, right?

Also, when this newest build is on my card, there is a possibility to shoot normal video(without the double iso thing), right?

crazyrunner33

Quote from: aaphotog on July 17, 2013, 04:13:01 AM
Everything goes into the 'modules' folder, except for the autoexecbin which goes to the root folder of the card, right?

Also, when this newest build is on my card, there is a possibility to shoot normal video(without the double iso thing), right?

Sounds right for the file locations.  I believe H.264 video shouldn't be changed and you should be able to disable the module, but there's only one way to find out.  I would experiment with it tonight, but I don't dare try something this new the day before a big shoot.
5D Mark III, 7D

1%

Hopefully reg addresses are the same on 6D. I need a reliable way to figure those out.

rod1000rj

Dear A1ex, your team work is effortless, generous and FREE. I wonder how come we see people here complaining a new funcionality does work on this or that model. I here to say, I deeply thankfull for the work you do even if my camera is not able to new funcionalities just because there are people like you and your team putting hours, knowledge and inteligence to the benefit of all of us. THANK YOU MAGIC LANTERN!!!!

imme

Amazing stuff as always.

A1ex  hacking sensor to its roots is really good. Can I expect RGB Raw output from sensor now?

I want three RAW files for one click. Red RAW, Blue RAW and Green RAW. Sensor recording for only one color per RAW file and producing 3 RAW files.

We have Foveon sensor technology from Sigma that has 3 layered sensor. Each layer is dedicated to just one color. Can we mimick it with ML now.

MA Visuals

For those wanting to see a test of the Dual ISO feature in use, I put together a video comparing normal raw video and video shot using the new Dual ISO feature.  More details and testing methods used can be found at the Vimeo link... http://vimeo.com/70459941.

aachrisg

Wow, this is quite exciting and impressive. How dysfunctional of canon to not exploit the fact that they'd basically made a camera which can capture a true HDR image in one shot.

It should be possible to do some quite sophisticated denoising of the iso1600 image guided by the data in the iso100 one.

-- Chris Green

a1ex

Updated cr2hdr.exe, works for me under Wine. The dependencies (dcraw and exiftool) are included in the zip file.

Lichtgestalt

Dears, I'm sorry for maybe stupid question, but I really want to know..
Is it possible to read one shot twice? I mean - read sensor at iso 100, save it to buffer, and immediately read the same data at iso 1600? For CCD sensors it is definitely impossible, but for CMOS sensor it is not so obvious. So could you please help me?

sebamax

Hi,
is possible postprocessing dual iso's files on mac with raw2dng?

Walter Schulz

squig

Quote from: Lichtgestalt on July 17, 2013, 09:27:26 AM
Dears, I'm sorry for maybe stupid question, but I really want to know..
Is it possible to read one shot twice? I mean - read sensor at iso 100, save it to buffer, and immediately read the same data at iso 1600? For CCD sensors it is definitely impossible, but for CMOS sensor it is not so obvious. So could you please help me?

What about 720p 48p? A1ex would that be a way to get around the lineskipping?

squig

sebamax

Grazie Walter,
think will be possibile compiling an update to raw2dng ?
I hope in scrax

lagunak47

isnt the whole point of raw to record the entire RAW image the sensor sees? and isnt iso on the canons just digital gain? So how if this gaining any DR over just shooting raw if iso has no effect on raw?

Audionut

Ouch.

Reducing the image size to around 33% all but eliminates the problems in the tree.  But the power line is beyond repair.

a1ex

Here, a different interpolation method may give different results. Try choosing another one (in cr2hdr.c, there are some defines at the top).

I guess plain averaging will handle this one a bit better than medians.

Redrocks

Quote from: lagunak47 on July 17, 2013, 09:58:27 AM
isnt the whole point of raw to record the entire RAW image the sensor sees? and isnt iso on the canons just digital gain? So how if this gaining any DR over just shooting raw if iso has no effect on raw?

The real point of RAW is to be working with uncompressed footage in post. My understanding is this technique is like hdr at the photosite level and of course ISO affects RAW - try using footage shot at 6400+

Danne

Quote from: squig on July 17, 2013, 09:43:44 AM
Yep wine for now until scrax has the time to update the mac raw2dng.
Oh man, Wine again :)

Danne

Quote from: squig on July 17, 2013, 10:46:24 AM
I think I'll wait it out.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Scrax to come through. This is beautiful work!!

dariSSight

Can you use this module with the 5D Mark II and where do I find it?
Canon 5D Mark II

Walter Schulz

First post in this thread, third line. End of it.

Ciao, Walter

edwmotion

Good news for the 7D owners. Thank you Alex, we appreciate your efforts  ;)