Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRozier

Hi there
Would anyone getting continuous shooting at 25fps at 1920x1080 on the 5d mkIII mind sharing their settings, I'm getting that no problem with raw_rec but not managing to get anywhere close with mlv.
It'd be good to know if others have had a bit of success with those settings.  I'm not card spanning at the moment as I'm recording to CF cards and keeping magic lantern on the SD.  Any other tips or advice from MLV users? Thanks in advance :)

Danne

I got myself a transcend 128gb 1000x card today and it actually is a little bit faster than my 64gb 1000x transcend.
On my 5d mark 3 I get continuous with audio on following

1920x1080 24p
I can actually use canon gui and set manual audio while recording. Cool!
1920x1080 25p
Continuous without audio. With audio on it,s actually continuous until it splits the 4gb chunk. Here it,s kin of borderline. Sometimes it continues sometimes it stops, skips frames.

*update. Audio in auto mode gives me full continuous 1080x1920 25p *tried again and audio auto stopped around 10gb. No luck in 25p and audio continuous

For 24p I don,t use extra hacks on for audio meter in canon gui. G.draw off but I get it continous with global draw on with focus peak on as well in 24p. Also use pictue quality set to s2
for 25p I use extra hacks on g.draw off

Tried the modified mlv.rec.mo but made no difference when 4gb split.

Thanks g3gg0

1%

QuoteI'm not sure whether sound in Canon menu has to be enabled for mlv_sound

If you have audio controls and power the IC no, if you don't yes. Otherwise its muted/missing.

Sthirasukha

To MRozier
As I'm able to have a continuous recording with 25fps at 1920x1080 on the 5d mkIII, the settings that works for me are:
In MLV-Rec -press(Q)- Aspect ratio 16:9 / Disable G. Draw ON / Frame skipping OFF/ Preview Auto/ Start delay.... to Memory hack OFF / Extra Hacks ON / debug trace OFF (if this debug is ON, sometimes I can't have continuous recording) / the others OFF / Buffer  3 / CF buffers 3 or 4
For the sound, don't forget to turn off Beep, test tones
In Canon menu, sound is on manuel (I have no issue with sound for the moment even with 10 GB file)
As Danne already said, use only the g3gg0 builds (don't try to mix it with other module)
I use a CF card Lexar x1000 64GB (for mlv files) and SD SanDisk 95MB/s 32GB (for ML Firmware)
I don't know if it could help or not as I have no special settings indeed.

budafilms

Quote from: Sthirasukha on January 15, 2014, 12:14:37 AM
To MRozier
As I'm able to have a continuous recording with 25fps at 1920x1080 on the 5d mkIII, the settings that works for me are:
In MLV-Rec -press(Q)- Aspect ratio 16:9 / Disable G. Draw ON / Frame skipping OFF/ Preview Auto/ Start delay.... to Memory hack OFF / Extra Hacks ON / debug trace OFF (if this debug is ON, sometimes I can't have continuous recording) / the others OFF / Buffer  3 / CF buffers 3 or 4
For the sound, don't forget to turn off Beep, test tones
In Canon menu, sound is on manuel (I have no issue with sound for the moment even with 10 GB file)
As Danne already said, use only the g3gg0 builds (don't try to mix it with other module)
I use a CF card Lexar x1000 64GB (for mlv files) and SD SanDisk 95MB/s 32GB (for ML Firmware)
I don't know if it could help or not as I have no special settings indeed.

How can you get audio? (wich build are you using, and the settings... thank you).

arturochu

can the sound recording option work with old raw rec?

it would be great for me because its way easier to process the old format than the new one. (and you can record a little faster)
Chu

Audionut

Quote from: budafilms on January 16, 2014, 06:10:26 AM
How can you get audio? (wich build are you using, and the settings... thank you).

You just quoted the settings being used  ???

Reading the OP is probably a good step to getting started.

Quote from: arturochu on January 16, 2014, 06:59:33 AM
can the sound recording option work with old raw rec?

AFAIK, if raw_rec is kept after mlv_rec becomes more stable, it will only be in a stripped down maximum speed version.  In other words, don't expect audio.

Danne

While we, re on the maximum speed subject. I, ve always been curious if the spanning feature applied to raw_rec would give that final extra mb to be able to record close to continuous in 50fps in full hd  :P

ted ramasola

Testing the last 2 MLV nightlies including one from a.d. for the mkII, is it a current limitation for MLV raw with sound to stop at a little past 10 minutes?

I notice the buffer graphs seem to be managing it until past 10 minutes when it would say skip and recording would stop. tested different buffer methods at 1728 x 972 16:9.

35.9 gig seem to be the limit in my tests (40859MB on the camera lcd )

Tested another resolution, 1728 x 864 and it went past 11 min but again it stops at 40918MB as indicated on the LV screen.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

arturochu

Quote from: Danne on January 16, 2014, 08:26:24 AM
While we, re on the maximum speed subject. I, ve always been curious if the spanning feature applied to raw_rec would give that final extra mb to be able to record close to continuous in 50fps in full hd  :P

i dont think 50fps in fullHD can be posible, but that would be awesome!
Chu

jose_ugs

1%

I'm suprised you guys are getting stops with the sound, I've gotten none. If it gets continuous, it stays.

Danne

What camera and build are you using? 25fps full hd?

Sthirasukha

To Budafilms:
I'm using the g3gg0 build (mlv_rec) from the Jan 10th 2014 (my birthday... nice gift g3gg0 and thanks again!!!)
I tried to put the mlv_snd.mo in the "classical" module folder (with raw_rec.mo, Arkanoid....) but it crashed (as Danne said)
So, my module folder has exactly (no raw_rec included):
5D3_113.sym
autoexpo.mo
dot_tune.mo
file_man.mo
mlv_play.mo
mlv_rec.mo
mlv_snd.mo
pic_view.mo
silent.mo
smpte.mo
trace.mo

To (amazing) developers:
I hope you won't stop the sound module. I'have being waiting this for such a long long time! Pleaaaaase!!! Don't go back. And tell me there are a lot of people that are able to use the sound.

1%

Heh, I've tried this on most cameras now. Even EOSM works for a while... afterwards tho it hangs :( At least I got an error message this time and it said it dumped the log. Not the fault of mlv_snd, mainly the camera.

ted ramasola

Ok, so here's my tests in terms of filling up a 64gig card.
All tests run at 1728 x 972 16:9 all tests run with MLV SOUND ON.

5D mkII tests

Jan 16 nightly
   skip/stop at 10'7"  40,800MB (41 GB)

Jan 14 by a.d.
   skips/stops approx 10 min 40,859MB

Jan 8 nightly
   skip/stop at 10'6"  40,721 (41.4 GB)

Jan 6 nightly - MLV_REC + Jan 14 a.d. -MLV_SND
   OK CONTINUOUS FILLS UP CARD.

Jan 6 a.d. all modules.

Jan 6 a.d -MLV_REC + Jan 14 a.d. - MLV_SND, FILE_MAN, MLV_PLAY

7D tests.

Jan 16 TL
   skips/stop at 10'11" 40,929MB (39.9 GB)

Jan 14 TL
   skips/stops 10'10"  40,907MB (39.9GB)

Jan 9 TL
   skips/stops 10'11" 40,929MB (39.9GB)

Jan 8 TL (incomplete audio features in Audio tab ML menu - did not run test)

Jan 7 TL

Jan 6 TL

So I guess something was wrong starting from Jan 8 builds?
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

g3gg0

you say from jan 8th the recording is continuous and that is a bug?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

ted ramasola

Quote from: g3gg0 on January 17, 2014, 10:11:13 AM
you say from jan 8th the recording is continuous and that is a bug?
I wrote starting with the 8th there must be something wrong.
I listed the tests from recent to older.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Danne

Tried the build from first post here and it gives me 40gb file than stops. Gonna try nightly build in a while.
5d mark 3

g3gg0

Quote from: ted ramasola on January 17, 2014, 10:20:12 AM
I wrote starting with the 8th there must be something wrong.
I listed the tests from recent to older.

ah okay thanks!
now i understand.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

budafilms

I can't fin the module for sound. Someone can place the link? thanks!

ted ramasola

Quote from: budafilms on January 19, 2014, 04:12:42 AM
I can't fin the module for sound. Someone can place the link? thanks!

First post. If your using Tragic lantern, its in the TL NBs. A.D also included it in his builds for the 5D2.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

1%

The pre allocation commit was the 7th. I am seeing it stop early too, no message or anything.  It would have ended up in the nightly on the 8th.

I'm only getting like 20 - 25gb of 1728x1152 now.  Skips with no warning.

g3gg0

Yeah, already nailed down.
there are only a few file handlers that are possible being left open.
on 5d3 its ten files max.

EuAcelasi

I tried replacing the files of the nightly builds with the files of the mlv folder, but it doesn`t work... Could anybody, please, tell me what is the exact way to make it run... I used the 19 Jan 2014 build and then tried to add the files with replacing the existing... and tried to delete all and then placing the mlv files...  Thanks.