Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

I found this:

this
uint32_t dmaFlags = 0x40001000;
to
   uint32_t dmaFlags = 0x20001000;

improved write speed on 7D+6D... couldn't find what the flags stand for in the wiki , the previous also caused edmac timeouts at certain 2.35:1 resolutions.

ilguercio

Is the latest TL build working with sound?
Improved in that aspect ratio you mean?
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

1%

Yep the sound is working..

0x40001000 was what g3gg0 changed it to, I changed it back because of above problems, wondering
what the flags are about. maybe there is a better setting because there was a definite effect on speed

ilguercio

Quote from: 1% on January 07, 2014, 03:25:26 AM
Yep the sound is working..

0x40001000 was what g3gg0 changed it to, I changed it back because of above problems, wondering
what the flags are about. maybe there is a better setting because there was a definite effect on speed
How much?
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.

Fukurou

Sorry about the stupid question but I looked a bit and find nothing related, so here it is : how do yout extract sound when you film in the .mlv format ?
Just tried for the first time and I get a .mlv and a .idx. I can extract the vid with mlv2dng but no sound.
Canon 5D3
Canon 50mm 1.8, Samyang 24mm 1.4, Samyang 14mm 2.8
PC - Windows 7

Shield

Quote from: Fukurou on January 07, 2014, 08:47:22 AM
Sorry about the stupid question but I looked a bit and find nothing related, so here it is : how do yout extract sound when you film in the .mlv format ?
Just tried for the first time and I get a .mlv and a .idx. I can extract the vid with mlv2dng but no sound.

You did turn sound on too right?  It's not enough to just enable the module; you have to go to the first page and enable it too.  After I did this when I did the extraction to a raw file the .wav file appeared as well magically - meaning there's no special "switch" to extract audio.

Shield

Quote from: ted ramasola on January 07, 2014, 02:21:17 AM
if I would dare guess that the mkIII is the same in MLV menu as the mkII then you go to MLV menu  and turn DISABLE G.DRAW to ON.

I know, its mislabeled and I was wracking my brains as I thought turning it on would do as it say, but it actually does the opposite and DOES NOT turn Gdraw off when it is ON.

Hope a developer can change this.  :) I already reported this in an earlier post #1093.

Thanks Ted - I'm sure that will be it.

On another note, I'm going to do some long recordings today with audio as well as have my Zoom H1n recording simultaneously mounted on the shoe.  Then I'm going to pull it into Vegas and run Pluraleyes - if I get a sync I'll be super happy - that's all I've wanted was a reference audio with my raw....

Will report back in.
Shawn

Shield

Looks good - took an empty card and let it run until the end.  No problems and the audio synched up perfectly.  Now to just fine tune my settings.

Thanks guys for the wonderful update!  Shawn

Shield

Quick question for the meta-data - I ran mlv-dump (-m -o) and successfully exported it to another MLV file that is meta-data only (no video) and I was able to read the information in MLV Browser.  However, if I try to read that metadata in notepad it's garbled.

How can I dump the following information into a text file?  Would be very handy for quick reference.

g3gg0

Quote from: Shield on January 07, 2014, 08:23:17 PM
How can I dump the following information into a text file?  Would be very handy for quick reference.

mlv_dump -v
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Shield

Quote from: g3gg0 on January 07, 2014, 08:33:05 PM
mlv_dump -v

Still not getting a file that is readable in notepad.  I'm going to setup a batch for exiftool to just grab the info from the dng's extracted from the MLV browser.  What would really be slick is an option in MLV browser to "Export selected files as .dng +.wav +.txt"...I realize you're busy, but wow, things are really close.  The audio sync is perfect now.

Steve Kahn

Finding that if I use ATTR (half-shutter press) it disables the mlv_snd for some reason

g3gg0

Quote from: Shield on January 07, 2014, 08:56:44 PM
Still not getting a file that is readable in notepad.

uhm the output of mlv_dump is readable, right? ;)
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

g3gg0

Quote from: Steve Kahn on January 07, 2014, 09:19:21 PM
Finding that if I use ATTR (half-shutter press) it disables the mlv_snd for some reason
it disables the module?

a1ex

It's most likely a conflict with the beeps (turn them off).

Steve Kahn

Quote from: a1ex on January 07, 2014, 09:28:43 PM
It's most likely a conflict with the beeps (turn them off).

That was it!  With beeps on after you ATTR audio doesn't register or record. 

g3gg0

Steve Kahn

sorry not to be clear.

yes.  the ettr module (or Auto ETTR)  when I initiate it with a half shutter press (HalfS DBC) and if the BEEP is on it disables sound meters in mlv_snd and no sound is recorded.

bnvm

Quote from: Shield on January 07, 2014, 08:56:44 PM
Still not getting a file that is readable in notepad.  I'm going to setup a batch for exiftool to just grab the info from the dng's extracted from the MLV browser.  What would really be slick is an option in MLV browser to "Export selected files as .dng +.wav +.txt"...I realize you're busy, but wow, things are really close.  The audio sync is perfect now.

try mlv_dump -v file.mlv > file.txt

Shield

Quote from: g3gg0 on January 07, 2014, 09:24:27 PM
uhm the output of mlv_dump is readable, right? ;)

It's mostly gibberish with a few words that are relevant, and not formatted in any easy to use way. 

Shield

Quote from: bnvm on January 07, 2014, 11:14:36 PM
try mlv_dump -v file.mlv > file.txt

That works, but far too verbose.  Just looking for exposure, lens, camera info.  Don't need hundreds of lines that have this stuff:
Block: RTCI
  Offset: 0x000002a4
    Size: 44
    Time: 41.330000 ms
     Date:        07.01.2014
     Time:        11:21:22 (GMT+0)
     Zone:        ''
     Day of week: 2
     Day of year: 6
     Daylight s.: 0

Here's what I get by right clicking on my .dng file with my exiftool registry hack:

File Name                       : M07-1017.MLV.frame_000000.dng
Camera Model Name               : Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Lens Model                      : EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
F Number                        : 2.8
Shutter Speed                   : 1/40
ISO                             : 2000
Focal Length                    : 50.0 mm
Light Value                     : 4.0
Exposure Compensation           : 0
Frame Rate                      : 23.976
Date/Time Original              : 2014:01:07 10:17:38
Orientation                     : Horizontal (normal)
Image Size                      : 1920x1080

1%

QuoteHow much?

A bunch... like 3-5 MB/s and won't let you record certain sizes. Wonder if it had an effect on pink frames because I saw way less.

QuoteIt's most likely a conflict with the beeps (turn them off).

Even with full audio controls beep turns off the input... sucks I don't think the IC can record and play at the same time. I blocked beeps while recording.

So with today's commits (pre-buffering):

1728x1152 is continuous with audio if using fill method 3. 4 won't do it for some reason.

Fukurou

Thanks Danne and Shield. Both of you were right and it works now.  :)
Canon 5D3
Canon 50mm 1.8, Samyang 24mm 1.4, Samyang 14mm 2.8
PC - Windows 7

ilguercio

Quote from: 1% on January 08, 2014, 12:51:23 AM
A bunch... like 3-5 MB/s and won't let you record certain sizes. Wonder if it had an effect on pink frames because I saw way less.

Even with full audio controls beep turns off the input... sucks I don't think the IC can record and play at the same time. I blocked beeps while recording.

So with today's commits (pre-buffering):

1728x1152 is continuous with audio if using fill method 3. 4 won't do it for some reason.
This is for 7D right?
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.