Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Look at the clock ;)

1263 must be a bug, can you show a screenshot?

g3gg0

did you check the camera clock?
12:63 is quite a weird time :)

(or maybe it was 12:59 and you recorded four video in that minute?)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

a1ex

Correct; though very unlikely in normal usage.

g3gg0

magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

Sthirasukha

Thanks a1ex and g3gg0 for your quick answer! I understand now. It was so obvious that I didn't get it...
As I didn't know it was the date, I put "a kind of" example and the only reason it's weird is because I thought I could have that kind of number and I didn't check the exact number... Just a little bit slow to understand simple things! Sorry but let me thank you again and again for your great job!

PhilK

I reported the weird time filename in the 50D thread, I went from a 59 to a 60 with two filenames.

g3gg0

dadinio13

i got a ideas : why not use a module for copying immediatly after recording in spanning mode the .M00 file of the SD card to the CF card ?
that is possible ?

g3gg0

Quote from: dadinio13 on September 09, 2013, 06:27:05 PM
i got a ideas : why not use a module for copying immediatly after recording in spanning mode the .M00 file of the SD card to the CF card ?
that is possible ?

well, i had the idea of a separate module that checks if the camera is idle for a while (e.g. 10 seconds) and then starts
copying all files from CF card to the (WiFi-)SD card for transferring them to the computer automatically.
as soon the files are being copied over to the computer, they are deleted from the cards.

this of course can be combined with copying MLV files to CF card when the camera is idle.
didnt think about that yet, thanks.

chmee

the criteria for the right moment or enough space are a playfield for not needed code. my opinion. its just one less step on the main computer (or in the file manager, if you're sure time/space is right for moving files)

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

kgv5

guys, is file spanning present in the newest 5d3 nightly builds?
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

g3gg0

no, as this module is not in nightly build....

RenatoPhoto

Have you sorted out how to merge format 2.0 to unified?  I see the pull request but seems to be stuck, any further discussions needed?  I was hoping we could get a bit of speed boost from some of Alexs work to the mlv files.  That would be awesome.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

pascal

Looking forward to this feature. Are there already estimates what write speeds will be possible with current card tech and what resolutions at continuous 60 fps ?

g3gg0

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on September 10, 2013, 04:38:53 AM
Have you sorted out how to merge format 2.0 to unified?  I see the pull request but seems to be stuck, any further discussions needed?  I was hoping we could get a bit of speed boost from some of Alexs work to the mlv files.  That would be awesome.

the pull request is still pending and i fixed some discussion points already.
we are still not 100% sure about properties, as reading admin props (serial number) is something we never tested thoroughly.

Canon eos m

Hi, please help:

I have downloaded the latest 5DM3 ML build from Alex's thread:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.0

However, as soon as I load the mlv_rec.mo to the module directory, I get loading error (even with the raw_rec.mo on 'off' mode).

How can I manage to run mlv_rec.mo as an alternative to raw_rec.mo when I want?
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

arrinkiiii

Do you already try to format the card and install everything again?  Some times for some errors it works.

1%

QuoteI get loading error (even with the raw_rec.mo on 'off' mode).

What error? Missing symbols?

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Canon eos m on September 10, 2013, 05:11:53 PM
Hi, please help:

I have downloaded the latest 5DM3 ML build from Alex's thread:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.0

However, as soon as I load the mlv_rec.mo to the module directory, I get loading error (even with the raw_rec.mo on 'off' mode).

How can I manage to run mlv_rec.mo as an alternative to raw_rec.mo when I want?

As far as i know Alex build does not have the mlv function yet since g3ggo work has not been merged.
You have to download or compile yourself the entire ML from this thread.  g3ggo has provided raw_rec.zip for 5d3
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Flocksock

My questtion is...
Is it only a container format, or is it more than that?
The thing is. DSLR like 60D will not be able to record RAW nearly FullHD
and more than ca.10 seconds.
But it would be so great to not record in h264.
Something like "uncompressed png, tiff, photojpg".
Not RAW, but also not h.264.

Question is... would it be possible to reencode in camera in
a new file fomat which is not exactly raw but better than h.264.
Something like 8-bit RAW instead of 14-bit RAW.
Simple to minimize the files size, so that Cameras like D60 could
record almost FullHD in "better than h.264" quality.

g3gg0

Quote from: Flocksock on September 11, 2013, 04:50:23 PM
Is it only a container format, or is it more than that?

MLV is a container format for raw video (primary and obvious use case) and also other formats like MJPEG, H264 etc.
other types than raw just weren't specified yet

Midphase

Quote from: Flocksock on September 11, 2013, 04:50:23 PM
Question is... would it be possible to reencode in camera in
a new file fomat which is not exactly raw but better than h.264.
Something like 8-bit RAW instead of 14-bit RAW.
Simple to minimize the files size, so that Cameras like D60 could
record almost FullHD in "better than h.264" quality.

This has been discussed so many times, and answered. Please do a search before posting.

mkrjf

This is all great stuff (see I don't always whine ;).

Since some of the motivation for the raw container is performance, are there any back of the envelope numbers on perf / resolutions for 5dmk3raw? Also while this is wandering into dual iso territory - will the actual bit depth of data be the same?
I searched in the forum - but sometimes you need to know what to search for first ;)

And as someone hinted - will there be raw container support for sync-sound?
Thx

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: mkrjf on September 13, 2013, 06:55:27 PM
This is all great stuff (see I don't always whine ;).

Since some of the motivation for the raw container is performance, are there any back of the envelope numbers on perf / resolutions for 5dmk3raw? A
Same thread here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.msg66931#msg66931

1%

Pretty much same conclusions I reached... on SD/CF MLV was 1-2MB/s slower... only 5DIII can use the spanning