Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oddname

Just for fun, the 50D module allmost works on the 5d2, can setup nicely etc, but recording just locks it up.
But hey, fun to see the options etc :D

1%

Sure you're not using hacked modes that lock the LV?

oddname

Very. Menu looks screwed up too after. Completely locked up, with brief unlocked.
Then it just stops automatically. And menu keeps saying Stopping... on the raw-post.

Biggest MLV so far is around 3meg, so I guess its locked up then.

But I didnt expect it to work 100% since its for 50D :)

Just a test

1%

5DII missing/broken reslock? I don't have one to test but if hacked is off it shouldn't be freezing.

oddname

Tried from a scratch made card, only module loaded = mlv.
When not locked I get a datarate of 2-3MB/s so something isnt working properly for the 5D2 =/

But never expected it to work, might be made with 50D-specifics in mind?

1%

The handful of 50D specifics only run on 50D. I'll see what happens on SD cameras.

maxotics

Here's that 50D MLV file stuff I shot the other day. Thanks again g3gg0!  There was some broken frames in the beginning of some of the clips, but it could have been anything.

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: maxotics on September 04, 2013, 01:13:45 AM
Here's that 50D MLV file stuff I shot the other day. Thanks again g3gg0!  There was some broken frames in the beginning of some of the clips, but it could have been anything.
Was this taken using the slightly larger camera good for all those suffering from some sort of mid life crisis?

oddname

Played some more with the 50D-module and still no go. Tried every setting, different bufferings methods, hacks on/off. All with the same results.
So pretty sure the 50D-module has some code that just doesnt wanna play with the 5d2 =)

But it was really nice to see the menu and play around (not being sarcastic, I am uber-positive)

maxotics

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on September 04, 2013, 08:27:46 AM
Was this taken using the slightly larger camera good for all those suffering from some sort of mid life crisis?

It's even worse.  Her friend Christine, one to the right in the group shot, is an animation major at MassArt.  Emma said she saved up all her money to buy a T3i this summer.  I thought, 'well, she'll appreciate what I'm doing here.'  I tried to explain ML RAW but ended up as a 52-year-old man humiliated by 21-year-old eye-rolling.  As you can see, however, that doesn't STOP ME from shooting anything ;)  It's a lonely world, ML RAW.  In the one camp you have people who don't care, in the other, those who can't face the fact that in-camera H.264, for anyone serious about film/video, is dead..oops, hope I haven't offended anyone here!

The video version doesn't do justice what what was shot.  I want to say again, that in RAWanizer, adding the args -d4 (higher sharpening) and -q5 (higher quality) makes for some very nice footage, good enough for me.

I went back to one of Andy's builds, so am shooting .RAW again.  However, I would like to add .MLV to my processing scripts, maybe help out a bit, but I don't want to get MLV back by doing what I did before, copying modules into the camera willy-nilly.  Is there a stable build for the 50D that will output MLV?  Or can someone let me know when there is one. 

I still can't make sense of which forks I should follow.

1%

You can copy both modules and just run raw_rec and leave mlv_rec disabled. Its working and non freezing on 6D (after hard path removal) and other sd cameras but I dunno if this breaks spanning for 5DIII. Slower on SD cameras too... 39.x MB/s with raw_rec... only 36-37 MB/s on MLV rec.

oddname

1% any news regarding the odd happenings with the 50D module? :)

maxotics

@1%, I'd be happy to load new modules, test logs, whatever to devs.   Is there a tutorial, or page, where it explains how to load these modules, what to look out for.   When do I need to re-run the EOScard utility?  Can I just replace the autoexec.bin file.  Can you tell me who is actively developing for the 50D, or any camera.  Should I, can I, use the same code base for my EOS-M and 50D.  While you're here.  Does God exist?  Thanks!

1%

autoexec + sym go together... one in root the other in the ML/modules folder.

After that you can load any modules with the same API (maybe we've had 3 changes total).

Not sure whats happening on 5DII, only bug I noticed is sound recording is 2 when the defaults are set so I have to fix that.  I don't exactly have one to test and 50D works ok.

50D/EOSM/6D are the same base, it picks what to compile based on the model. 600D is its own but that may change.

This does MLV on SD cameras and probably CF too.

mlv_rec.mo (47 KB)
https://mega.co.nz/#!Nlp1FahY!fyd5Bwlw_uX9ehF21P_Cxk7lX9RbOrrltHmBlokMwzk

maxotics

1% Thanks, oaky, so I have Andy's latest stable build.  I looked, and see the sym file.  So if I want to save as .MLV, I assume I need that module in my camera's ML folder?

o. Who is working on that?

o. I take it, from what you're saying, that if I put that in the folder it will become a load option on the camera?  I don't need to to anything more.

o. I see builds for you.  What aspect do your builds specialize in?  Which fork of your should I follow?

o. I would think you would want people to test your latest-greatest creation.  But I don't see an easy to follow place for that.  If it exists, can you please tell me how I should approach trying out your new stuff, say.

Thanks!

1%

TL2 is the 600D repo, everything else is in TL6D.

To follow it look at commits, you can set up a VM and compile for yourself. There is a guide on here. Andy is building 50D off a clone of my repo.

For modules, yea pretty much what you said, you add it to the dir and pick what you want loading then reboot.

sletts02

Quote from: a1ex on August 29, 2013, 11:39:53 AM
Yes, or better.

I'll actually move the post deflicker to a PC-based tool again (it will operate on raw photo sequences, no matter how you got them - even from Nikon).

Hey a1ex. Just following up - is there a thread that we can follow the progress of this update? Seems great!

Stedda

Quote from: sletts02 on September 05, 2013, 12:26:09 PM
Hey a1ex. Just following up - is there a thread that we can follow the progress of this update? Seems great!

As they've said before when the file format is complete and ready for the masses the tools will be also. Until then be happy with what they put out for testing.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

Vegeta

Hey guys, Quick question.
How does one get the new magic lantern video format (.MLV) working?
Is it some plug in you through into the modules folder or is it cooked right into the nightly release or.. what? Lol.

Also, they say it adds 20mbps to the multi card spanning. Now if you have the sandisk 95mbps sd cards.. will that make it more than 20 or do they have it limited to 20?

Using a mark 3.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Vegeta on September 06, 2013, 04:25:05 AM
Hey guys, Quick question.
How does one get the new magic lantern video format (.MLV) working?
Is it some plug in you through into the modules folder or is it cooked right into the nightly release or.. what? Lol.
Not available through nightly release.  Read the first post of this thread!
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Canon eos m

Quote from: 1% on September 04, 2013, 09:05:56 PM
autoexec + sym go together... one in root the other in the ML/modules folder.

After that you can load any modules with the same API (maybe we've had 3 changes total).

Not sure whats happening on 5DII, only bug I noticed is sound recording is 2 when the defaults are set so I have to fix that.  I don't exactly have one to test and 50D works ok.

50D/EOSM/6D are the same base, it picks what to compile based on the model. 600D is its own but that may change.

This does MLV on SD cameras and probably CF too.

mlv_rec.mo (47 KB)
https://mega.co.nz/#!Nlp1FahY!fyd5Bwlw_uX9ehF21P_Cxk7lX9RbOrrltHmBlokMwzk

Added the mlv_rec.mo to the 5D Mark 3 modules directory. Get the following error: "tcc: error: undefined symbol 'message_queue_count' [E] failed to link modules"
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

1%

You need a build with msg_qcount and prop body ID. I think 5DIII has it in main, I added those for all in my repo. BTW, the spanning may be broken since the path isn't hardcoded to a:

sletts02

Quote from: Stedda on September 05, 2013, 01:34:04 PM
As they've said before when the file format is complete and ready for the masses the tools will be also. Until then be happy with what they put out for testing.
Sorry, my misunderstanding. I thought the deflicker tool was completely separate to format 2.0 and there may have been a separate thread that I had missed :(

Sthirasukha

@RenatoPhoto
Can you explain me the logic of the Raw file value number while recording?
Sometimes it goes like this in a very logical order:
M20-1240.raw then M20-1241.raw, M20-1242.raw
and sometimes it goes like this :
M20-1250.raw and the shot after can be M21-1263.raw and not M20-1251.raw as expected. Did I miss something?
I use MovieSlate to synchronized the soundtrack and this could be helpful to understand the way it works to organize my shooting.
Thanks again to ML team for your amazing work!!!