Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g3gg0

with this version, the lens id should be correct again (not just 0x00000001)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

escho

LensID is now correct (tested with exiftool).

Edgar
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

AnotherDave

For ML Raw 2.0 can we please (above all additional features) move the writing/card speed information that is displayed during recording to either the upper or lower corner, but off of the image window, for HDMI?

The #1 complaint we had from EVERYONE on our 5 day shoot with the hack was that the display information was in the way of the action.  Often, it ended up completely covering an actors face for the entire scene!!!

Please move it somewhere else!

It is critical for production.

Thanks.

AnotherDave

Rather than have version 2.0 record audio, IF it is going to have Timecode, would it be possible for it to OUTPUT TC that a sound recordist could jamsync to? 

This MovieSlate app for the iPhone can do it, so I would image it is possible for a 5Dmk3.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/movieslate-clapperboard-shot/id320315888?mt=8

Thanks!

g3gg0

@AnotherDave:
TimeCode: 64 bit timestamp counters with microsecond resolution is not enough?
Display: for productional use this debug information will get removed.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

nigel

My jaw literally dropped when I saw spanning support. I have a 5DMk3. How can I help?

g3gg0

@nigel:
implement multi-file writing support with writer threads in raw_rec.c :)

ilguercio

One of the simplest and maybe nicest thing to have would be to have the non recorded area blacked out, so who's recording can actually focus on what is in the frame. Maybe leave it as an option, some people might find it useful to see outside of the boundaries.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

g3gg0

yes.
possible options: rectangle / black out / semi-transparent

ilguercio

Oh, the text input system looks almost seamless, you did a very good job and it works well.
:)
Two things:
1)Why does the recording size need to be a multiple of 512 bytes?
2)If i enable small hacks with your modules i get an errore when i start recording raw, it did not happen before.
Are they useless and thus disabled in your build?
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

AnotherDave

Quote from: g3gg0 on July 29, 2013, 03:53:03 PM
@AnotherDave:
TimeCode: 64 bit timestamp counters with microsecond resolution is not enough?
Display: for productional use this debug information will get removed.

Will we be able to output the TC through the headphone jack (like the iPhone app does)?  Maybe even jam sync with another camera through the mic input?

That is more important to me than having synced audio recorded in camera.  Secondary source audio is always better, and it is good to not-have-to-be-the-sound-guy-too on a shoot.

Blackmagic Resolve can automatically sync secondary source audio if the TC information matches, so syncing in post using this method is a breeze.

g3gg0

@ilguercio:
thanks!
1) with the old format, where the frames had no additional information (=headers) this
would give you the best write performance (in net rate / gross rate).
in this version this is not the best of all options. just ignore it for now.

2) i didnt try that yet. i just wonder what has changed..? it should work as before.

@AnotherDave:
no audio output yet and also not planned t.b.h. as i have no clue about that topic.
plus i dont have any tools for that.
are you talking about LTC ?

AnotherDave

Quote from: g3gg0 on July 29, 2013, 08:08:24 PM
@AnotherDave:
no audio output yet and also not planned t.b.h. as i have no clue about that topic.
plus i dont have any tools for that.
are you talking about LTC ?

Yes! :-)

LTC, essentially what I want is a module that can generate a free run (time of day based) TC as an audio signal via the headphone jack, and also read that same type of signal to synchronize the internal clock with a secondary source (jam syncing).  This could allow you to sync up to a Sound Devices 788T or even a second 5D3.

Or even record the LTC output to an unused channel from a multitrack recorder.

This, to me, is far more useful than recording audio in camera. 

g3gg0

audio reading is too hard to implement.
would a output-only version only help at all then?

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: AnotherDave on July 29, 2013, 08:58:22 PM
Yes! :-)

LTC, essentially what I want is a module that can generate a free run (time of day based) TC as an audio signal via the headphone jack, and also read that same type of signal to synchronize the internal clock with a secondary source (jam syncing).  This could allow you to sync up to a Sound Devices 788T or even a second 5D3.

Or even record the LTC output to an unused channel from a multitrack recorder.

This, to me, is far more useful than recording audio in camera.

I don't understand why we can't just get access to the headphone jack in these cameras and allow it to write to the sd card while the CF card does the video writing.

AnotherDave

Quote from: g3gg0 on July 29, 2013, 09:34:09 PM
audio reading is too hard to implement.
would a output-only version only help at all then?

I'd settle for output only.  :-)

AnotherDave

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on July 29, 2013, 09:46:18 PM
I don't understand why we can't just get access to the headphone jack in these cameras and allow it to write to the sd card while the CF card does the video writing.

My thinking is this - the audio quality that the 5D3 records isn't very good.  It's ok and useable, but if you're going through the trouble to shoot in uncompressed 14-bit raw... why wouldn't you want a quality of audio that is going to match with the quality of the video?  That can only be done with a secondary system.

I don't think very many people record their audio into their Red cameras... and to be honest, Red is the only thing that compares to the quality of image I'm getting out of my hacked 5D3.

aaphotog

Quote from: AnotherDave on July 29, 2013, 09:55:12 PM
My thinking is this - the audio quality that the 5D3 records isn't very good.  It's ok and useable, but if you're going through the trouble to shoot in uncompressed 14-bit raw... why wouldn't you want a quality of audio that is going to match with the quality of the video?  That can only be done with a secondary system.

I don't think very many people record their audio into their Red cameras... and to be honest, Red is the only thing that compares to the quality of image I'm getting out of my hacked 5D3.
Much easier to use that horrible camera audio than a clap board even if you do have the funds and man power to record separate audio.

AnotherDave

Quote from: aaphotog on July 29, 2013, 09:59:31 PM
Much easier to use that horrible camera audio than a clap board even if you do have the funds and man power to record separate audio.

But then why would you be shooting it in raw?  If you don't have the funds or equipment?  Seems to me, that if a TC syncing module for a secondary source was implemented that this would open this camera up to a wider range of productions.

Also I'm not talking about using a clapper, if your TC on your .mlv file matched the audio on your recorder you can just click 1 button in Davinci Resolve and have all of your audio synced within a second.  That could only be done if the camera could output it's free run (TOD) TC via the audio jack.

Dave

Danne

Could that beepsynch work for premiere or after effects aswell?

xNiNELiVES

I meant that I want the headphone jack to be able to record the audio from an external mic. I'm gonna get an H4n anyways so it doesn't really matter.

I mean it would be nice if the camera could send a signal for when the H4N (or other recorder) should stop and start recording...

Thats what I meant sorry for the confusion...

AnotherDave

@Danne
beep sync is ok, but how do you know which clip it belongs with? 

For the short I filmed on the 5D3 ML, we shot around 1,400 clips over 5 days.  We were fortunate enough to have an awesome sound recordist with a 788t and a smart slate.

In resolve, all I had to do was separate the clips and .wavs by the day it was recorded, select any frame where the TC on the slate was visible, and type it in.  Resolve automatically synced it from there.

If we had embedded TC out via the audiojack, I wouldn't even have had to type in the TC.

@xnine

That is probably a much more complex task, though the Zoom does have lanc... so who knows?  With the zoom, and TC out, you could record the TC output sound from the headphone jack into the 1/8" at the top of the H4n and run it through a program that would read the TC track and embed it into the other tracks with recorded audio.

On a side note, it may be worth it to wait and buy an H6 - 4 xlrs and can be expanded into a 6 track recorder.

aaphotog

Quote from: AnotherDave on July 29, 2013, 10:07:13 PM
But then why would you be shooting it in raw?  If you don't have the funds or equipment?  Seems to me, that if a TC syncing module for a secondary source was implemented that this would open this camera up to a wider range of productions.

Also I'm not talking about using a clapper, if your TC on your .mlv file matched the audio on your recorder you can just click 1 button in Davinci Resolve and have all of your audio synced within a second.  That could only be done if the camera could output it's free run (TOD) TC via the audio jack.

Dave
It doesn't matter WHY. That is of no concern to YOU! Not to say that I don't have the funds/equipment. The fact is, just because YOU may not find it useful, doesn't mean that no one else will. If I want to record raw because I choose to, and have the option of having a recorded audio track on my camera, is that a bad thing? I find it quite ridiculous when people say that NO ONE needs something, an assumption based on their own needs.

AnotherDave

Quote from: aaphotog on July 30, 2013, 12:01:53 AM
It doesn't matter WHY. That is of no concern to YOU! Not to say that I don't have the funds/equipment. The fact is, just because YOU may not find it useful, doesn't mean that no one else will. If I want to record raw because I choose to, and have the option of having a recorded audio track on my camera, is that a bad thing? I find it quite ridiculous when people say that NO ONE needs something, an assumption based on their own needs.

I apologize, I meant to say... why would you want a great picture with terrible audio?  TC sync would be much more useful for everyone - don't you think?

Implementing a feature that is already in the camera (recording synced audio) is great!  And I hope it is possible, but if you're going for quality filmmaking why would you want to marry great pictures with bad sound when there could be a better way?

It isn't a pissing competition, I'd just like to add a MAJOR professional feature to the hack I've come to love and talk about how great it is all the time.