[IMPOSSIBLE] RAW Video: Compression

Started by ninety9, July 14, 2013, 03:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninety9

On cameras without CF card (550D, 600D, etc.) the main bottleneck of RAW video recording is apparently the SD card & card controller. Because of that, I thought about ways to shrink the file size of raw video in-camera before writing it to the card.

I don't know how much the ARM-Processor is capable of and whether anything like that is even possible, so be nice with me :)
I had following ideas:

Lossless compression: Would a fast compression algorithm like LZ4 be fast enough to compress the whole raw on the fly before it is written to the card?

Compress color depth: Would it be possible to strip some of the least significant bits of the intensity information of every pixel? Having an 8bit image instead of a 14bit image would still be great for amateurs like me, wouldn't it?

Downscaling: Would it be posible to downscale the images before writing it to the card, maybe simply by skipping lines? Or would moiree be too much of a problem? On my 600D, I'd like to take RAW video using the whole sensor, but I have to use a crop which is not that usable.
Canon 600D