Davinci Resolve 9.1.5 now works with DNG

Started by Andy600, July 13, 2013, 01:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

I saw a comment in the Cinema DNG topic that warrants an announcement.

Davinci Resolve 9.1.5 has been released and features improved DNG support

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/5802892/DaVinci_Resolve_Lite_9.1.5_Windows_ReadMe.pdf

I've just tried it and it works with raw files converted to 14bit DNG with Rawanizer (although I'm happy to stick with Chmee's raw2cdng app) :)

Now you can convert for Resolve with any of the raw2dng apps.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

sarotaz

yes it works perfectly. But doesn't remove bad pixel. 60d owners are still stuck to ACR  >:(

AnotherDave

Awesome!  I really like the RAW Magic app for OSX, but this is great!

They are clearly open to supporting the hacked DSLRs.

Chpouky

Is it normal that I got incredibly noisy footage ? I'm shooting in Night Clubs at ISO10 000, and with H264 it is totally usable, but with RAW it looks awful. Bad interpretation of Resolve ? Or is it normal ? ( I use a 5D Mk III )

martareis

Same as Sarotaz... works great but I have lots of bad pixels. The funny thing is with ACR the clip is perfect, free of artifacts or bad pixels/pink dots. Any clue?

Camera used: 60D
Build: ML-RAW-60D-hourly_2013-07-12_13-00
Raw2dng

Danne

ACR work with automated stuck/dead pixel removal. It,s baked in...

CLS105

this is my favorite workflow now.
convert .raw's to dng using batchelor (raw2dng)
bring those into resolve and make my editable footage (dnx175x).
This makes things much easier for me.  I am cutting on Avid.
thank you, for all the hard work that has made this quality possible.
WINDOWS 7 - 5d mkIII RAW

budafilms

I donĀ“t understand you guys, New Da Vinci WorkFlow works with Raw2DNG?

Or only r PC software?

mageye

I just thought that I would mention that if you want to save some disk space you can convert your CinemaDNG sequences (from RAWMagic) back into 'normal' DNG files with Adobe DNG Converter and the sequence (as individual DNG files) will now be compatible with DaVinci Resolve.

I have done this and it has saved a lot of space because Adobe DNG Converter uses non lossy compression.

NOTE: These files will obviously no longer be CinemaDNG files (I have had no apparent problems with this so far).
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

fatpig

@mageye:
this is exactly what BATCHelor does automatically, also a lot faster than standard adobe DNG converter because of automatic multithreading ;) try it. lossy and lossless compression implemented. :)

mageye

@ fatpig
Which is fine and fantastic but I am running on the Mac. ;)
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

robmbrown

Anybody find a good way to white balance in Resolve? I'm guessing curves would be better than the color wheels. It's hard to beat Camera Raw for that as it nails it dead on. I'm just saying this because I found some tungsten raw stuff I shot pretty hard to get looking right but ACR got it with one click.

Mei Lewis

What's the update mechanism for Resolve? I have 9.1.3 but can't find an update menu option.

Thanks.

togg

Quote from: Mei Lewis on July 14, 2013, 11:03:07 PM
What's the update mechanism for Resolve? I have 9.1.3 but can't find an update menu option.

Thanks.

You have to redownload it from their site.

Mei Lewis

pavelpp

What's the benefit of using Resolve over Lightroom?

sarotaz

Quote from: pavelpp on July 15, 2013, 11:42:36 AM

Resolve is a professional color correction software oriented to video. It has many feature like tracker, power window designed specially to have more control on your project. Lightroom is used for still photo. It works good anyway. However the really difference is in operator and not in the software ;-)

eatstoomuchjam

Quote from: pavelpp on July 15, 2013, 11:42:36 AM

Resolve has good GPU support and is able to play back raw footage in real-time even on my older core2quad system since I have a decent graphics card in it.  It also exports a lot faster in my experience than AE or LR. 
Though it's also a lot harder to use than ACR or the LR adjustments.  After poking at it for a few hours, I'm still at caveman level where I was pretty good at LR in about the same amount of time.  I'll probably end up watching some tutorials!

Videop

I installed LR5 and Resolve lite this weekend and will try to get the hang of them to see what it gives. Also have raw2dng and Rawmagic installed.

So far my 5d3 raw video looks like crap but I guess it's the Pilot to blame.. :-)

sarotaz

I want share with you this fantastic resource. It is a complete basic tutorials of Resolve (from interface to delivering). Hope this help.

http://ae.tutsplus.com/tutorials/workflow/davinci-resolve-fundamentals-part-1/

duncanidaho25

@sarotaz

wow, what a great resource.  Thanks.  I'm new to Resolve but this is getting me up and running.

Thanks again.
5D2 |  VAF-5d2b | Komputerbay 64GB 1000x  | 14, 24, 35, 85 Samyang Lens Set  | 50, 180 Nikon | Marshall V-LCD51 | DigiFinder | 528s LED Amaran lights

mdfaisal

Quote from: Chpouky on July 13, 2013, 10:13:29 PM
Is it normal that I got incredibly noisy footage ? I'm shooting in Night Clubs at ISO10 000, and with H264 it is totally usable, but with RAW it looks awful. Bad interpretation of Resolve ? Or is it normal ? ( I use a 5D Mk III )

same here... really noisy...
still using adobe camera raw to do noise reduction and basic correction, in resolve lite they dont have NR

duncanidaho25

Same here.  I'm struggling with noise.  Are we not exposing correctly?  I'm trying to use ETTR but, I'm not sure I'm using it correctly. 
5D2 |  VAF-5d2b | Komputerbay 64GB 1000x  | 14, 24, 35, 85 Samyang Lens Set  | 50, 180 Nikon | Marshall V-LCD51 | DigiFinder | 528s LED Amaran lights

arturochu

First of all 10000 iso is not a good iso to use in raw, you should use 6400 or 12000, and always expose ettr, in resolve or acr lifting up any exposure (low, mids, highs or exp en general) will produce noise.
I dont think iso 6400 is usable in h264, 6400 en raw is ok, but i wouldn't go all the way up to 12000. (5d mark III)
Chu

LB

Quote from: arturochu on July 21, 2013, 05:03:20 AM
First of all 10000 iso is not a good iso to use in raw, you should use 6400 or 12000,

Nah, once you are beyond ISO3200 it is all just direct 1/3 stop pushes from then on up and the whole ISO125, ISO250 stuff doesn't apply any more. (On many bodies it doesn't apply above ISO1600).