PinkDotRemover tool 650D

Started by foorgol, June 15, 2013, 08:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RafaLibrenz

Quote from: TheUnkn0wn on August 18, 2013, 02:10:34 AM
Who wants to do some pixel peeping for the 650D?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8gkifgx2lwwq2rx/650D.104-RAW_TYPES.zip

Download that, replace the files on your 650D SD card. Enter Movie Mode, go to the debug menu and click on "Don't click on this!"

It will start taking 100 frames, might take a while. Make sure you keep your camera on something static so you can pixel peep properly.

Once it has done you should have 0000-0099 DNG's on your SD card. Go through them all (I recommend light room) and find the BEST one out of them all, report your findings REPORT THE FILE NAME of the best one you've found.

I tried.

What I did: with lens cap, I clicked on "Don't click me!". So I get 100 unexposed DNGs. I opened it in Adobe Came RAW, and add +3 EV in EXPOSURE, so I can see the dots. I looked one by one, and for me they all look not good. So I export a 867x579 pixels (50%) version of each in JPG, and uploaded the zip file (with 100 JPGs). Here is the link (file size: 23 MB).
70D + 18-135 STM

Tongotongo

Hi , solo se ven puntos rosados , en las 99 fotos todas mas o menos igual. https://www.dropbox.com/s/t0e3xnanwmbx44x/0099.TIF
Canon 650d Tamron 17-50 mm 2.8 canon 50 mm fijo 1.8 magic lantern

nanomad

Please don't take pictures of a cap, use a well exposed book cover with hard edges and high contrast then also check for small pink green dots around the letters. If you think you found a good candidate post the DNG
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Smolder

650D + 50mm f/1.0L + 50mm f/1.2L + 85mm f/1.2L

Walter Schulz

Yes, user error and a stupid one, I have to confess!

RafaLibrenz

Quote from: nanomad on August 18, 2013, 08:53:13 AM
Please don't take pictures of a cap, use a well exposed book cover with hard edges and high contrast then also check for small pink green dots around the letters. If you think you found a good candidate post the DNG

Oh. Sorry, I didn't know. Thank you for explanation.

Anyway, I repeated the test, and all 100 options seems not good to me. Ugly spots in all DNG files.
70D + 18-135 STM

TheUnkn0wn

Ooops! My fault, no wonder they all look the same, I still had the 700D RAW_TYPE address in there...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dougzp7ebgpvb6w/650D.104-RAW_TYPE2.zip

Try this one, it also goes to 255 instead of 99

TheUnkn0wn

Ok, me and nanomad have kind of figured out the problem. With raw_type 14 you don't get any image anomalies using Adobe software. Using other software causes these anomalies. It's probably down to how the DNG is created?

satriani

It's also occurred to me, but I did not understand why this is so :D
Anyway, it's not ok. Not everyone can or want to use Adobe. I would like to know why that is so and what is it.
Cameras: Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 650D
Lenses: 2x CanonEF-S 18-135 IS STM, Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG HSM Art
Daily builds

spider

How does the anomalies look like?
ACR filters Hot-pixel automatically, maybe these anomalies are only one pixel big and ACR filters them?

Is it on the 700D the same?

spider

I tried satrianis builds of 17th.
You see the green dots in the Faststone Imageviewer and shortly in the LR preview.
After rendering a high quality preview LR filters them out, but the filter quality is crappy.

nanomad

Indeed. I'm not willing to make people rely on a particular image processor, let alone an Adobe one. I'm going back to pink dots on all the cameras that had them
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

TheUnkn0wn

Try RAW_TYPE 2 it looks clean and it works with both dcraw and adobe software.

EDIT : nvm, I've found dead pixels in it...

satriani

Thats looks exactly like a RAW_TYPE 121 or something like this, which I tested yesterday. But the streaming seems to be unstable and give sometimes a broken pics.
Look at this:

this is a good pic

and this is a broken picture, which was taken two seconds later

But I think we are already closer to the solution  :)
Cameras: Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 650D
Lenses: 2x CanonEF-S 18-135 IS STM, Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG HSM Art
Daily builds

TheUnkn0wn

I already have a solution, I've re-created raw2dng using the Adobe DNG SDK. Since Adobe created the DNG format its best practice to use what they give you. dcraw seems to ignore some meta-data and misinterprets the raw data causing that green mesh. My raw2dng will include a host of extra features including compression.

spider

davidtlong

Quote from: TheUnkn0wn on August 20, 2013, 04:23:58 PM
I already have a solution, I've re-created raw2dng using the Adobe DNG SDK. Since Adobe created the DNG format its best practice to use what they give you. dcraw seems to ignore some meta-data and misinterprets the raw data causing that green mesh. My raw2dng will include a host of extra features including compression.

now this could be cool! 

Say I noticed on another instructional video that one can use QuickTime to recompile the video after post processing.  Anyone here do that?  Seems really simple and more options than Virtual Dub.

dave

TheUnkn0wn

Yes, this will properly process the DNG's so you don't get that green pattern you see when using RAW_TYPE 14.

Which means there's no need to remove any pink dots since there wont be any and no quality will be lost.

davidtlong

Quote from: TheUnkn0wn on August 21, 2013, 03:15:21 AM

Yes, this will properly process the DNG's so you don't get that green pattern you see when using RAW_TYPE 14.

Which means there's no need to remove any pink dots since there wont be any and no quality will be lost.
Ok I will admit my lack of knowledge, but can you explain what this.  Sorry to be a pest. Just trying to learm
Dave

Update.  Do you mean qt or something else?

TheUnkn0wn

On the 700D and 650D you get pink dots don't you? That's because of the default raw stream (or raw type) from the camera. If you change it to one that doesn't contain any anomalies; for some reason draw (used by software such as RAWTherapee) can't process the dng's correctly causing a green tinge/mesh over the image. To fix this I've created a new RAW2DNG tool using Qt so its multi-platform. Here are some of the features.

- Multi-Threading (Makes use of all your CPU cores)
- Full DNG support (Using Adobes own DNG SDK, this fixes a lot of things like thumbnails and image anomalies)
- Compression (Can use Lossless JPEG for DNG's)
- Save directly to TIF

davidtlong

Quote from: TheUnkn0wn on August 21, 2013, 03:49:37 AM
On the 700D and 650D you get pink dots don't you? That's because of the default raw stream (or raw type) from the camera. If you change it to one that doesn't contain any anomalies; for some reason draw (used by software such as RAWTherapee) can't process the dng's correctly causing a green tinge/mesh over the image. To fix this I've created a new RAW2DNG tool using Qt so its multi-platform. Here are some of the features.

- Multi-Threading (Makes use of all your CPU cores)
- Full DNG support (Using Adobes own DNG SDK, this fixes a lot of things like thumbnails and image anomalies)
- Compression (Can use Lossless JPEG for DNG's)
- Save directly to TIF

Well this is cool.  How do can we try this?  Cost?

Dave

nanomad

As I explained before the green pattern stands out a lot even in the Luma only image before debayering. It's not a converter fault.

nanomad

Quote from: satriani on August 20, 2013, 01:40:23 AM
Thats looks exactly like a RAW_TYPE 121 or something like this, which I tested yesterday. But the streaming seems to be unstable and give sometimes a broken pics.
Look at this:

this is a good pic

Sadly it is not, look near the sharp contrasty edges (the microSD writing) and you'll see contrast detection "control" points that are impossible to remove.

TheUnkn0wn

Quote from: nanomad on August 21, 2013, 09:27:34 AM
As I explained before the green pattern stands out a lot even in the Luma only image before debayering. It's not a converter fault.

It's not a converter fault, its dcraws fault :P

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/478513

Rewind

Guys, may I ask you please to share a build with RAW_TYPE 14. I compiled it by myself, but I cant see any difference: the pink dots pattern is the same. May be i'm doing something wrong.