RAW Workflow (OSx) - When to grade?

Started by MortenSJ, June 18, 2013, 08:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortenSJ

Hi

I'm trying to figure out which workflow suites me the best. I have the Adobe Creative Suite, so both PS, PR and AE is available. I can't run Davinci Resolve due to my graphics card (I have a Macbook Pro Retina)

I know there is a ton of posts with work flows, but they all some how use Davinci Resolve, or run a bootcamp with Windows.

Which workflow is the best/easiest when running OSx using only the Adobe Creative Suite? and of course the transcoding apps.

Also, do you do all your grading in ACR? I have seen few videos were people take down the contast and sharpening to zero, and then do grading in eg. AE? I also seen people do all their grading in ACR? Is it just a matter of preference, or is one or the other better?

I hope you guys can help me :)

epyonxero

Im no expert but grading in ACR is the most straight forward if you dont have access to Resolve. Another option if you have Lightroom is to use timelapse templates to export video straight from Lightroom 4 (or 5 I think). There are free templates and pro temlates here http://lrtimelapse.com/.
Of course its not as flexible for video as Premiere but if you want to grade, maybe use some presets and export as h.264 I think this is the easiest.

N/A

ACR is perfect for corrections, especially skin tones, but I wait till I get all of my clips exported and into FCPx before the actual grading. Still trying to settle on one grading plugin, but the stock color tools in FCPx will work for now.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

dirtcastle

If you are sticking with the Adobe Creative Suite, your choices would seem to be the following.

1. Speedgrade
2. Grading in After Effects
3. Grading in Premiere
4. Plugins (e.g., Magic Bullet Looks)

MortenSJ

Thanks for you help. I got Davinci Resolve Lite to work on my Macbook Pro, so i think i will stick to that and Premiere. It seems like a very easy workflow importing and exporting XML.

dirtcastle

Quote from: MortenSJ on June 19, 2013, 05:06:23 AM
Thanks for you help. I got Davinci Resolve Lite to work on my Macbook Pro, so i think i will stick to that and Premiere. It seems like a very easy workflow importing and exporting XML.

Glad you were able to get Resolve to work.

I'm also using Resolve with Premiere (on an MBP w/ Parallels). But I've been having trouble converting RAW files to a format that will work with Resolve.

UPDATE: I was able to get Prores 422 files (from raw2dng) into Resolve. But it would be great to get Prores 4444 or Cinema DNG. I haven'te been able to pull off CDNGs or 4444s with RAWmagic, RAWanizer, or Eyeframe. But at least I've got 422s now. :-)

MortenSJ

I use RAWMagic and I can easily edit my DNG files in Resolve. Works great and very fast.

dirtcastle

Quote from: MortenSJ on June 20, 2013, 03:27:07 AM
I use RAWMagic and I can easily edit my DNG files in Resolve. Works great and very fast.
Thank you! I was having trouble importing Cinema DNGs from RAWMagic into Resolve. But I reinstalled/upgraded Resolve and now it works.  :)