50D - 14bit raw video builds and test results

Started by GregoryOfManhattan, June 17, 2013, 01:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregoryOfManhattan

This topic is for discussing specific 50D builds for raw video. A build is a specific set of collection of compiled code and modules packed up into a zip file.  Raw video is under active development and the behavior of various features and functions is rapidly evolving.
Update 26 June 2013 - there is a new "Small Hacks" feature in the raw_rec module.  in the Raw Rec Detail Menu enable Small Hacks.  50D builds hit 81MB/s for hundreds or more frames at 1920x1080 in crop/zoom mode only. The goal is 83/84 MB/s as this would permit continuous 1080p24 recording. 

Latest builds:
pick the most recent from the download locations below:

based on hudson/unified, the main branch for all cameras from the code in: bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern: https://bitbucket.org/GregoryOfManhattan/magic-lantern/downloads/ sporadic builds from me until 9 July 2013 as i will have limited internet access.

1% is posting tragic lantern the latest high speed builds to
https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads
these could contain advanced settings so be prepared and have fun.

Andy600 is producing hybrid builds for testing some new code based on tragic lantern and unified
https://bitbucket.org/andy600/andy50d/downloads/
read thread posts for notes on specific test builds.

Users / testers: please include the build file name when reporting results bugs.
for a good example of a detailed bug report which led to a resolved issue, please look at http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6976 and note the care with which user @platu describes exactly how to reproduce the error.  a1ex directs people to http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

If you are a new user, go through the guides.
RAW video & ML -- Beginners Guide, FAQ & Useful Links -- READ FIRST
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5520.0

PostProcessing -- Beginners Guide
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5654.0

General discussion of  Raw video on 50d and 40d  is on the thread http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.0
For the super speed builds from Andy600 and 1% please be sure to read the latest information.

Build your own
If anyone wants to build hudson/unified 50D releases and add them to this thread or otherwise share them with your friends, please go ahead.

JulianH

I will post my experiences with new builds here.
Latest build I've been using is ml-2013Jun16.50D.109.go.unified.b93d6ae2b30d. Will report back on it soon.

GregoryOfManhattan

many features added today for the 50D have posted 2 builds.

https://bitbucket.org/GregoryOfManhattan/magic-lantern/downloads/ml-2013Jun16.50D.109.go.unified.15694a53cfa3.zip
a1ex:
Quoteraw_rec: quick'n'dirty hack for fixing pink preview in x5 zoom on 5D2 and 50D. Image quality should not be affected.

the earlier build has been tested with one report of stable 71MB/s with Graphics Draw (GD) off.
https://bitbucket.org/GregoryOfManhattan/magic-lantern/downloads/ml-2013Jun16.50D.109.go.unified.b93d6ae2b30d.zip
includes modules: raw_rec and ettr

includes a1ex's edit today for:
etter
frame alignment on 4:3 screens - hey that could help the 50D
removed "Memory Hack" only known to work on 5D3 and 6D
and potential help for pink frames

Andy600

ml-2013Jun16.50D.109.go.unified.15694a53cfa3

In movie mode ETTR is not working correctly if Exposure Override is enabled. ISO is locked at 3200eq (Auto ETTR works OK in photo mode but raw photos must be selected in Canon menu)

re: raw_rec 'quick 'n' dirty' hack - Preview is fixed but now records pink frames (previously I had no pink frames)

1% has reported 'force left' (in raw_rec) is broken

I compiled a build to test this: In platform/50D.109/features.h I enabled 'FEATURE_LV_FOCUS_BOX_SNAP_TO_X5_RAW //compiles but not tested' It works OK on the 50d. Press joystick when in 5x zoom to correctly center the crop (no more off-center 1:1 shots  :))

I'm not sure how to push my commits to Bitbucket  :-\

Fixed
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

KahL

Quote from: Andy600 on June 17, 2013, 02:20:33 AM
ml-2013Jun16.50D.109.go.unified.15694a53cfa3

In movie mode ETTR is not working correctly if Exposure Override is enabled. ISO is locked at 3200eq (Auto ETTR works OK in photo mode but raw must be selected)

re: raw_rec 'quick 'n' dirty' hack - Preview is fixed but now records pink frames (previously I had no pink frames)

1% has reported 'force left' (in raw_rec) is broken

I compiled a build to test this: In platform/50D.109/features.h I enabled 'FEATURE_LV_FOCUS_BOX_SNAP_TO_X5_RAW //compiles but not tested' It works OK on the 50d. Press joystick when in 5x zoom to correctly center the crop (no more off-center 1:1 shots  :))

I'm not sure how to push my commits to Bitbucket  :-\

Seeing same ISO issues as well. It's locked at a high ISO regardless of how I change it.

1%

Ha, I have a different issue... it won't use iso 3200 or any higher. Stops at iso 1600. But for overexposed its lowering things correctly.

a1ex

records pink frames: solved (I've expected you to notice that black level from raw footer was wrong).

ETTR: no idea, it's working on 5D2 with expo override, photo, movie, P, Tv, Av, M.

force left: did it ever work?

Andy600

Quote from: a1ex on June 17, 2013, 09:37:49 AM
records pink frames: solved (I've expected you to notice that black level from raw footer was wrong).

ETTR: no idea, it's working on 5D2 with expo override, photo, movie, P, Tv, Av, M.

Confirmed 50d:

No more pink frames and zoom preview working :)

ETTR - only works with exp override OFF (strange how it's ok on the 5d2). Still looking through the code but TBH I don't know what I'm looking for  :-\
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

It mostly works for me but not as nice as on other cameras.

GregoryOfManhattan

latest build:
https://bitbucket.org/GregoryOfManhattan/magic-lantern/downloads/ml-2013Jun17.50D.109.go.unified.f4a7ab821357.zip

more fixes for the 50D
raw_rec: 5D2/50D: grayscale is better than pink, right?
raw_rec: force left not working on 5D2/50D/500D
raw_rec: fix black level autodetection (especially for 5D2/50D zoom mode)

a1ex - thanks - black levels off in the zoom because we didn't call raw_set_dirty ? they were computed on the pink version?

a1ex

Yes, black level is normally refreshed once per second (to save CPU time).

Andy600

@GregoryOfManhatten - I think you should include bolt_rec in your builds. Seems stable enough :)

You probably already know this but the new modules compilation fix works but rename Makefile.modules.default to Makefile.modules.user and include modules in ML_MODULES_DYNAMIC ?= (if you leave the default the user one is ignored)

1%

I posted what I have so far, I dunno if the graphics play nice with GD on, but GD off I get more speed, also hacked no preview doesn't correctly work but for some reason starts off faster from the get go.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on June 17, 2013, 03:14:23 PM
I posted what I have so far, I dunno if the graphics play nice with GD on, but GD off I get more speed, also hacked no preview doesn't correctly work but for some reason starts off faster from the get go.

aha, you're hiding them in your 6d fork  ;D

UPDATE: wow, record continuous at 1584x950 on 600x card GD off. Had a couple of corrupt/glitchy frames (not had any before TBH but also wasn't able to record past 2gb at that res either). Hope the ETTR.Exp OR bug can be fixed. Turned off Exp Override for now

GregoryOfManhattan

Quote from: Andy600 on June 17, 2013, 03:09:50 PM
@GregoryOfManhatten - I think you should include bolt_rec in your builds. Seems stable enough :)

You probably already know this but the new modules compilation fix works but rename Makefile.modules.default to Makefile.modules.user and include modules in ML_MODULES_DYNAMIC ?= (if you leave the default the user one is ignored)
yes - someone requests bolt_rec - i had it in my camera last week when we had a few storms here, easy to include.

will try the new module make later - didn't work for me a couple of days ago, so i have a shell script go through the module dir's individually.

GregoryOfManhattan

Quote from: 1% on June 17, 2013, 03:14:23 PM
just a few more MB/s could make the EU anamorphs very happy as they'd be able to shoot 1584x1080 at 25 fps.
right now we are almost there with stable 70-71MB/s need a little more overhead to get consistent takes of any length.
in crop mode 1920x880 is close to this limit as well. 1920x1080 seems a bridge too far.

1%

QuoteHope the ETTR.Exp OR bug can be fixed. Turned off Exp Override for now

Ettr is semi working for me.. did you try it. I always have to use expo override and fps. I set different "real" frame rates and it crashes out the movie size calculator.

Quote1584x1080 at 25 fps.

For more speed.

*sucessfuly kill the edmacs (permanently)
*figure out force left
*resize LV to 640x480 hd buffer at idle. 50D has same issue as EOSM, 1 mode. Maybe trace will help here. Should also eliminate more random corruption.

I have to check whats up with frame corruption, I didn't see any but I'm just viewing the video back in camera. Nothing from my house is worth storing.

Andy600

@1% - Yes, I have ETTR on. ISO sticks at 3200 with Exp Override on same as before. Tried with FPS override off and other settings on/off, ND filters etc but nothing changes. ETTR was working great (I think) with Exp Override until a couple of says ago  ???

1%

Thats weird because I tested and its working here. I point it outside and it goes down to ISO 100 and speeds the shutter up.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on June 17, 2013, 04:12:21 PM
Thats weird because I tested and its working here. I point it outside and it goes down to ISO 100 and speeds the shutter up.

Shutter does seem to change but can't get it below ISO 3200. Tried resetting all config files, different modes (Av,TV,M,P etc) in movie and photo mode but the only thing that lets me change ISO (if ETTR is enabled) is switching Exp Override OFF.

I'm using only manual lenses if that's any help?

Also max frame width (normal scaling) seems to have changed from 1584 to 1536? Is this right? Maybe because of the 4:3 update a1ex posted? I don't know why but 1584x950 looked great and seemed to help with moire/aliasing though that might just be me?

Andy600

@a1ex - I've been back over the changesets and compiled until I found the one where the ETTR/ISO/Exp Override issue arises. It's this one: 7fcfcc58f226 (it was a fix for a T3i a couple of days ago). I can't fix it because I don't know how.

1%

Heh, I'll try a manual lens and see what happens.

No difference, still works like before... up to iso 1600

So gradual expo works, better with calculated BV vs real bv. Shutter fine tuning doesn't. It doesn't sync to screens like on other cameras, whole screen flashes :(

HDR works too by flipping frame_iso.

Also there is a bug in movie mode.. ML turns the shutter to 0 an locks up since canon lets you chose whatever shutter in "movie" mode on the 50D.

Andy600

Upload a new build that fixes ETTR, ISO and Exposure Override issues that I was experiencing with manual lenses (thanks a1ex :) ):

https://bitbucket.org/andy600/andy50d/downloads/Andy600ML_June18th_50D.109.a43e030494e4_fix_UNIFIED.zip

This works and is up to date :)

NedB

I believe "Force Left" is also NOT working on the 550D. I've tried it on three separate occasions, and each time the result is a .RAW file filled with garbage frames (looks as if it's an issue like "vsync"...there is obviously some image material there, but it is not synced to the frame width and/or height. FYI!
550D - Kit Lens | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x | SanDisk ExtremePro 95mb/s | Tascam DR-100MkII

Andy600

Quote from: NedB on June 18, 2013, 12:50:54 PM
I believe "Force Left" is also NOT working on the 550D. I've tried it on three separate occasions, and each time the result is a .RAW file filled with garbage frames (looks as if it's an issue like "vsync"...there is obviously some image material there, but it is not synced to the frame width and/or height. FYI!

Force left and dolly are not working correctly in 50D/500D/5DMkII. Avoid using ATM

I have enabled snap to 5x center to help with framing in crop mode.

https://bitbucket.org/andy600/andy50d/downloads/Andy600ML_June18th_50D.109.d55f33a1d395_Snap_to_5x_center.zip

Select it in the zoom box settings menu. Press Q (joystick) when in 5x zoom. Framing should jump to the approximate center and show the recordable area of the sensor. You will probably need to move the camera to reframe your shot.

note: you might only see 5 buffer starts compared to 6 in the previous build but speed seems to be the same.