RAW video timelapse with frame skipping

Started by dhilung, June 13, 2013, 11:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

In this case, I'd rather add a trigger to intervalometer (if raw video is recording, don't take pics, but trigger video frames).

gerk.raisen

@dhilung

I've tried your code on the last committ on my 60D but unfortunately seems doesn't work :(

The menu entry appear correctly.
I set frame skip to 4 second.
Then the RAW recording started OK but ignored the settings.
It "eat" all the about 150 frames at normal 30fps speed in about 5 second

(FPS override disabled, just to be sure)

dhilung

@gerk.raisen
It needs to be set while in 'movie mode' (like aspect ratio setting) to be effective. I know it can get confusing :)

@a1ex
Sounds good. I'll look into that. First thing will be to fix the timing issue though.
5D2 | 40D

a1ex

You now have mili- and microseconds timers ;)

The intervalometer was designed when we only knew about the RTC clock, in seconds (which also took a big bunch of CPU cycles to read).

brapodam

Is there any way to use this for a time lapse with exposure changes (i.e. sunrise/sunset/day to night time lapse)? I've tried many settings with this mod and just can't get it right. I was never really a time lapse guy but I'm still trying things out. The "demo video" in the first post was also full of flickering  :(

-Movie auto exposure screws things up because it uses pushed ISOs which just don't work
-Auto ETTR doesn't work while recording; Manaul ETTR produces flicker
-Gradual Exposure with aperture priority (using the old version of the mod that allowed shooting RAW video in photo mode) goes crazy and produces corrupted frames and still has flicker in the video (does it use pushed ISOs?)
-HDR video doesn't work (only one ISO used)

Am I missing something?

gerk.raisen

@A1ex
I'm still watching about changing intervalometer to mili- and microseconds timers but it seems too difficult for me alone  :( :(
Hint? 8)

@dhilung

Yes, I'm in Movie mode (also because on last versions RAW Video can only work in movie mode)
I tried enable it to 2 or 4 second and than pressed liveview button to star recording
Have you tried your patch also on last committs? Maybe one of the last changes broken it... :(

Frame skipping disabled (it's correct, isn't it?)

brapodam

Quote from: gerk.raisen on July 05, 2013, 02:17:29 PM
@dhilung

Yes, I'm in Movie mode (also because on last versions RAW Video can only work in movie mode)
I tried enable it to 2 or 4 second and than pressed liveview button to star recording
Have you tried your patch also on last committs? Maybe one of the last changes broken it... :(

Frame skipping disabled (it's correct, isn't it?)
I've tried it on a very recent build (ML-RAW-60D-hourly_2013-07-04_00-00.zip) and the mod works.

gerk.raisen

@brapodam

I've just tested the exact build you write and the "Skipping interval" entry doesn't appear.
That build is compiled "vanilla" without external patches applied I think.
Only the "Frame skipping" entry are present (because it is in the standard ML code and isn't part of a patch)

brapodam

Quote from: gerk.raisen on July 05, 2013, 02:51:44 PM
@brapodam

I've just tested the exact build you write and the "Skipping interval" entry doesn't appear.
That build is compiled "vanilla" without external patches applied I think.
Only the "Frame skipping" entry are present (because it is in the standard ML code and isn't part of a patch)
Yup, I meant that I installed that build and replaced the raw_rec.mo with the one dhilung made (of course I copied in the raw_rec.c as well). It works that way, at least for the intervals I tested (1s, 4s). Was just a quick test to see if anything changed.

gerk.raisen

Thank you brapodam,

the problem is the raw_rec.mo posted by dhilung is yet became a little outdated, most of the recent changes in ML are in raw_rec.c

For that I'm interested to apply the patch to last version, to have the feature but with last changes...but one of them kill the feature :(

arana05

hey guys!
no news regarding this? It'd be very very useful to have!

ab19

Hey! I'm new to the forum, but a long time ML user.

I downloaded this module, and it works great for timelapses (thank you so much!)
No shutter actuation, and RAW frames. It's just brilliant.

However, I was looking to do a timelapse in the night, and have stars move about. I noted that the FPS can't be changed and I was not able to capture the night sky with stars visible. I tried using FPS override but that brought me no luck, either.

So I was wondering -- would it be possible to decrease the shutter speed (ie go around 1-5 seconds per frame) when using this module? Or is there any other method I could follow to have a night timelapse (without shutter actuation/with RAW frames)?

kazeone

Hey dhilung, sorry unrelated to the module but I was wondering what did you use for panning the video during the timelapse?

ab19

Quote from: kazeone on September 24, 2013, 09:06:04 AM
sorry unrelated to the module but I was wondering what did you use for panning the video during the timelapse?

I haven't used anything for panning so far, but I am looking to buy a dolly (or build one lol). :D

dhilung

Quote from: kazeone on September 24, 2013, 09:06:04 AM
Hey dhilung, sorry unrelated to the module but I was wondering what did you use for panning the video during the timelapse?

I used a Radian (http://goo.gl/IXUCrg) with an extended arm (like this http://goo.gl/dVInoL).

Quote from: ab19 on September 22, 2013, 01:20:30 PM
Hey! I'm new to the forum, but a long time ML user.

I downloaded this module, and it works great for timelapses (thank you so much!)
No shutter actuation, and RAW frames. It's just brilliant.

However, I was looking to do a timelapse in the night, and have stars move about. I noted that the FPS can't be changed and I was not able to capture the night sky with stars visible. I tried using FPS override but that brought me no luck, either.

So I was wondering -- would it be possible to decrease the shutter speed (ie go around 1-5 seconds per frame) when using this module? Or is there any other method I could follow to have a night timelapse (without shutter actuation/with RAW frames)?

Sorry to hear that it didn't work. Unfortunately, the exposure can be extended only as much as the FPS override allows. You might want to try a high ISO and a fast lens, or fall back to the real shutter actuation. 
5D2 | 40D

ab19

Quote from: dhilung on September 25, 2013, 10:04:30 AM
Sorry to hear that it didn't work. Unfortunately, the exposure can be extended only as much as the FPS override allows. You might want to try a high ISO and a fast lens, or fall back to the real shutter actuation.

High ISOs are giving my 550D a hard time in the night at even f/1.8. :P I'll try with ML on my 5D3 soon, as well. In the meanwhile, I'll continue experimenting with FPS override.

Thank you for your reply. :)

sashk0

hey!
Dear author, I've just tried it on my 5Dmk2 with magiclantern-Nightly.2014Apr02.5D2212 and it failed to load. I guess it's a bit out of date. do you have update for newer versions?

here's the error msg:
tcc: undefined symbol "FIO_Open"
tcc: undefined symbol "recording"
[E] failed to link modules

dhilung

Quote from: sashk0 on April 11, 2014, 11:16:29 AM
hey!
Dear author, I've just tried it on my 5Dmk2 with magiclantern-Nightly.2014Apr02.5D2212 and it failed to load. I guess it's a bit out of date. do you have update for newer versions?

Yes, it is outdated :p
Unfortunately, I don't have any updated module. However, I'd recommend using regular Intervalometer with "silent picture" enabled (silent.mo) to get a similar output.
5D2 | 40D

tajino

Any chance to bring this frame skipping option back into the recent nightly?

It would be very useful for situation where you need fast TV but only want to save every nth frame of the recording without FPS override. FPS override with low light optimization would overexpose the shot, while high jello fastTV optimization would not be fast enough, for example telephoto sunrise and sunset shots without using ND.

I've also noticed that FPS override with high jello fastTV optimization produces duplicated frames in the MLV with the last Aug nightly (probably a few builds prior to that as well, I haven't tested them to be sure), if FPS override is set low at 10fps while recording in 1x mode, 3x crop mode works ok with the same settings. This is on 5D2 212.

Silent shoot with intervalometer can't go lower than 1s, while setting it to shoot like crazy would sometimes yield inconsistent capture interval.

These are the reasons that made me looking for a nth frame skipping raw video recording option.