Canon 650D 1.0.1 [Status: Alpha / OBSOLETE]

Started by nanomad, June 09, 2013, 07:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bradybunch987

When using the FPS over-ride to 65 fps the system crashed. It wont seem to stretch over 50 fps

Lucas_W

I don't think it's meant to go that high.
Canon EOS 650D + Kit lens, EF 50mm 1.8 and 52mm polariser.

MarlonSenanayake

Quote from: nanomad on June 10, 2013, 05:00:04 PM
What fir did you use to install ML on the camera the first time? This should not happen anymore with the safe-dumper fir.
Please post a link.

To fix the error format the card on a PC then put the content of this archive on it. Let the camera do a firmware update in photo M mode, not movie!

http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/650D/magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Feb02.650D.BOOTFIX.zip
i used 650d_dumper to update firmware, whats the different between magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Feb02.650D.BOOTFIX.zip and 650d_dumper
this is the dumper i used http://sdrv.ms/11TbfHC

Lucas_W

My Sokoban isn't working. None of the scripts are working for me.
Canon EOS 650D + Kit lens, EF 50mm 1.8 and 52mm polariser.

texacola

hmmm, this is my first post because I've just been enjoying the ML ride, but it's annoying because I'm only doing so to subscribe to this topic as there appears to be no other way to do so.

But! I would like to thank you nanomad for all the effort you've put in!

Thanks!

Tex

nanomad

Quote from: MarlonSenanayake on June 11, 2013, 12:10:44 PM
i used 650d_dumper to update firmware, whats the different between magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Feb02.650D.BOOTFIX.zip and 650d_dumper
this is the dumper i used http://sdrv.ms/11TbfHC

BOOTFIX should be used only when a dev tells you to do so. It is used to fix half-broken installs
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

khurra

installed yesterday. Used the magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Feb02.650D.BOOTFIX.zip to "update" my firmware.

Said make sure Boot Flag is active. then a smiley.

I put safe dumpr on my card, as well as the latest build from last night. then i actived the bootflag using the mac version of the app that makes them bootable, (I run mountain lion on my computer so i had to put a special script in the folder that  had the app to make the card bootable).

I ran magic lantern and it works pretty sweet.

I tried to shoot raw and it worked when i put it on a lower setting like 1280 by 720 but the problem ive ran into is there is artifacting in the middle of the frame that looks kinda like the bumpy parts of metal like this image: http://images03.olx.in/ui/4/33/94/63002994_1-Pictures-of-Industrial-metal-sheets-and-Embossed-Metal-Sheets-Chennai.jpg

but the artifacts are colored like fushia.

I tried a bunch of different settings and still got the artifacts, is this a problem with my sensor? or with the encoding process? You can't see the artifacts when you play it back through ML on the camera, only after transcoding using MagicRaw..

I used MagicRaw with the 650d setting to transcode from Raw to DNG.

Thank you for all your hardwork!! So stoked to have ML on my t4i!!

papkee

Quote from: khurra on June 11, 2013, 07:13:03 PM
installed yesterday. Used the magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Feb02.650D.BOOTFIX.zip to "update" my firmware.

Said make sure Boot Flag is active. then a smiley.

I put safe dumpr on my card, as well as the latest build from last night. then i actived the bootflag using the mac version of the app that makes them bootable, (I run mountain lion on my computer so i had to put a special script in the folder that  had the app to make the card bootable).

I ran magic lantern and it works pretty sweet.

I tried to shoot raw and it worked when i put it on a lower setting like 1280 by 720 but the problem ive ran into is there is artifacting in the middle of the frame that looks kinda like the bumpy parts of metal like this image: http://images03.olx.in/ui/4/33/94/63002994_1-Pictures-of-Industrial-metal-sheets-and-Embossed-Metal-Sheets-Chennai.jpg

but the artifacts are colored like fushia.

I tried a bunch of different settings and still got the artifacts, is this a problem with my sensor? or with the encoding process? You can't see the artifacts when you play it back through ML on the camera, only after transcoding using MagicRaw..

I used MagicRaw with the 650d setting to transcode from Raw to DNG.

Thank you for all your hardwork!! So stoked to have ML on my t4i!!

It's a known bug. Nano and the team are working on it but it's not a high priority fix at the moment.
EOS 650D, a bunch of random lenses & adapters

bradybunch987

How come I only record RAW for 24 frames(one second). than it stops?

Walter Schulz

Depends. You don't give much information, do you?
High resolution (= lots of data) and/or slow card (= slow data transfer rate).

Run benchmark test (Debug menu -> Benchmarks -> Card R/W benchmark (5 min)) to test your card. Card bus is limited to about 41 MiByte/s in photo mode and about 10 percent less in video mode.

Try lower resolutions and you might be able to record longer sequences.

Ciao, Walter

1ricca

I finally got a fast enough card to test RAW video, but now I can't find where a few others already asked this noobish question, so;

How do you enable RAW video and change the settings for it as well? :/ I'm on Satriani's "ML_N_11.06.2013"
Are shortcut keys working? What are they and how to change them?

Also,

***BUG REPORT***: Focus box disappears after a successful auto focus while in Live View. Clicking the up/down/left/right buttons makes it show up again. I do not have the Autohide setting on in ML's Focus Box Settings.

1%

Lol, those are the AF dots... you chose those or the "peaking" style noise... only choice right now :(

P.S. try photo mode & multi shot NR for more frames... this is the only way to fly on EOS-M... dunno if your LV key works to record in photo tho.

bradybunch987

Alright, I have a card that runs about 30mb/s , Magic Lanterns Benchmark tells me that I am running on 12mb/s so I guess I need to down the resolution. But how can I do this? sorry for being new to this.

1ricca

Quote from: bradybunch987 on June 12, 2013, 02:39:55 AM
Alright, I have a card that runs about 30mb/s , Magic Lanterns Benchmark tells me that I am running on 12mb/s so I guess I need to down the resolution. But how can I do this? sorry for being new to this.

You're gonna need at least a 45/MB/s card. Better yet would be a 90MB/s or higher. It's a good investment. Just the jump from Sandisk 30MB/s to 45MB/s was huge. It's not black and white speeds. Different products do different actual speeds not to mention how each card has a minimum speed, meaning it can dip as low as said speed. The minimum speeds are the biggest issue with high bitrate things like RAW. Once the speed dips below what's needed, recording stops.

1ricca

Quote from: 1ricca on June 12, 2013, 01:55:17 AM
I finally got a fast enough card to test RAW video, but now I can't find where a few others already asked this noobish question, so;

How do you enable RAW video and change the settings for it as well? :/ I'm on Satriani's "ML_N_11.06.2013"
Are shortcut keys working? What are they and how to change them?

Also,

***BUG REPORT***: Focus box disappears after a successful auto focus while in Live View. Clicking the up/down/left/right buttons makes it show up again. I do not have the Autohide setting on in ML's Focus Box Settings.

I figured it out, that you need to "load modules" first.

Anyone on shortcut keys?

Nanomad, is the focus box bug something possibly fixable?

Fuligin

Thanks to you guys making this fw possible! =)

buggies:

#1: Rack Focus doesn't work for me. It does seem to do the focusing correctly, but I am unable to record any video. Neither by pressing "play" (it just does RF twice and says "Not recording") nor by using standard rec button (goes back to ML Menu, UI flickers).

#2: Customizing display presets, when changing spotmeter, other presets change to the same spotmeter(percent, raw etc.)
       Also, I can't get into the normal Vanilla view as soon as I activate the option for 2 ML Display presets, maybe that's normal.

#3: ML Zebras and other helpers seem to be very slow in Photo mode + LiveView(Vectorscope took 20sec to load,zebras lag which isn't so bad for PhotoMode). Zebras(not vectorscope)also slow in Video Mode, if you don't have default color scheme.

1ricca

Quote from: Fuligin on June 12, 2013, 08:18:03 AM
Thanks to you guys making this fw possible! =)

buggies:

#1: Rack Focus doesn't work for me. It does seem to do the focusing correctly, but I am unable to record any video. Neither by pressing "play" (it just does RF twice and says "Not recording") nor by using standard rec button (goes back to ML Menu, UI flickers).

#2: Customizing display presets, when changing spotmeter, other presets change to the same spotmeter(percent, raw etc.)
       Also, I can't get into the normal Vanilla view as soon as I activate the option for 2 ML Display presets, maybe that's normal.

#3: ML Zebras and other helpers seem to be very slow in Photo mode + LiveView(Vectorscope took 20sec to load,zebras lag which isn't so bad for PhotoMode). Zebras(not vectorscope)also slow in Video Mode, if you don't have default color scheme.

#2 is normal.

#3 is pretty normal too. I know there's builds out there where focus peaking is much smoother and synced but didn't work nearly as well to the point where I wouldn't use it. Now I just use magic zoom instead anyway ;)

I came up with a nice way to use MagicZoom actually. I make 2 setting presets with all but magiczoom the same. The one with magiczoom on has it set to Always On. This way, the info button is a toggle for magiczoom.

Only thing that would be better than this is if Info wasn't on the left :/ but it still works best for me for quickest focusing possible in run n' gun situations.

1ricca

Just want to rehash a post from "lordgnagey".  I too agree there should still be an option for 1440 for this build, considering that that is one of the best rez's we're gonna get with the write ceiling everyone gets on the 650d and UHS-I cards.

QuoteHey man. I wanted to say I really appreciate the work! And I have tested out the May 31st build. Apologies for being so direct, but with the adjusted frame sizes 1472 width at 2.35 actually pushes us over the limit in terms of the buffer. It no longer allows for continuous recording, because of this I will be using the older build (with 1440) for my 24fps raw tests.

Is there a way to free up more space for alternative resolutions? Could we do this by removing the options above 1728? I think it would be beneficial considering that these higher res options are useless with this camera's capabilities. Personally I would like to see something like 960 1088 1152 1216 1280 1344 1408 1440 1456 1472 1536 1728 as width options to find what res that has enough cushion to allow for continuous recording. 1216 width would probably be the highest 16:9 with continuous recording.

I do understand that you were attempting to keep all resolutions within a multiple of 64 to maximize efficiency of RAW recording, but sadly it has cost us the highest 2.35 resolution that could record continuously at 24fps. And from my perspective, the speed improvements do not outweigh the option for doing longer takes. 1456 which is 22.75 x 64 might be a decent option, but I assume that 1440 will be a safer resolution to work with as neither is a direct multiple of 64.

That aside, I will say that I did test FPS override at 2.5 fps and I got a pretty nice 3.0x CBR h.264 sunrise TL. Now if only we could implement ALL-I frames... :P

DavidFell

Hi, great work. I'm eager to install on my T4i. I also have a T3i, which already has the release version of ML.

Once the alpha is on the T4i, can I set up my cards so that they'll each work with both cameras, loading whichever version of ML is needed?

Non-tech question, more about understand the development process: Was there a particular milestone that caused this port to move from pre-alpha to alpha, or was it simply that the pre-alpha was mostly working and hadn't bricked anyone's camera?

nanomad

Quote from: DavidFell on June 12, 2013, 02:48:48 PM
Hi, great work. I'm eager to install on my T4i. I also have a T3i, which already has the release version of ML.

Once the alpha is on the T4i, can I set up my cards so that they'll each work with both cameras, loading whichever version of ML is needed?

Non-tech question, more about understand the development process: Was there a particular milestone that caused this port to move from pre-alpha to alpha, or was it simply that the pre-alpha was mostly working and hadn't bricked anyone's camera?

I wouldn't share the config between models: http://www.magiclantern.fm/bestpractices

And yes, I moved to alpha mainly because I haven't seen any bricks so far
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

brewerrj

How can I go back from Kelvin White Balance to auto White Balance? can't find it..

kazeone

Quote from: 1ricca on June 12, 2013, 03:05:10 AM
You're gonna need at least a 45/MB/s card. Better yet would be a 90MB/s or higher. It's a good investment. Just the jump from Sandisk 30MB/s to 45MB/s was huge.

the 650D has a max write of 40mbs so a good 45mbs card would be idea verses wasting money on a 90mbs card, use the extra cash to get a larger capacity 45mbs card. :)

Just wanted to say great work to the team and testers, looking forward to the next phase of ML :)

kostasra

My intervalometer doesn't work...
Canon 650d with 18-135mm is STM and 50mm f/1.8 II
Flickr account

dngrhm

Quote from: kostasra on June 12, 2013, 09:13:20 PM
My intervalometer doesn't work...
Need more details... assuming ML intervalometer (not external).  What you did... (I tried these settings ...) What happened... (no shots... wrong interval.... camera hopped off tripod and ran away)
EOS 650D + 620 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM + 55-250mm f/4-5.6 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Mac OS 10.9 | PinkDotRemoval Tool | RAWMagic | DaVinci Resolve | FCP X

Walter Schulz

Mine does.

Please, please, please: More information!
"Doesn't work" may have some meaning for you but it doesn't give any hint *how to* solve it.

- Which ML version are you using?
- Which setting do you have tried? (Screen snapshot will be helpful)
- What does "doesn't work" mean? No shot taken at all, endless shooting ...
- Are there any error messages?
etc. pp.

If you are not able to give more information it is highly unlikely somebody will be able to help you.

EDIT: Too slow ...

Ciao, Walter