Canon 650D 1.0.1 [Status: Alpha / OBSOLETE]

Started by nanomad, June 09, 2013, 07:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foorgol

Quote from: blade on June 17, 2013, 10:49:43 PM
The canon raw is the full sensor, silent pic is just the live view . If you read the documentation about sp. you would know that the resolution is only 1720x974.

Because some of you asked: the silent DNGs are 14-bit files, just like the DNGs you get from the RAW movies. The only difference is that the silent DNGs come with a "black border". If you dissect the files, you'll notice that they technically contain 1808 x 727 pixels. But of these pixels, only an area of 1734 x 695 is usable, with the top left corner starting at 74, 28. AFAIK the unused pixels are used internally for detecting the black point.

The DNGs from the RAW videos don't contain this frame of unusable pixels. Maybe it's removed by Raw2DNG, don't know...

red5446

Quote from: Sandsnor on June 17, 2013, 11:31:39 PM
Thanks but it really seems dead. Are you sure you did nothing else?

A couple of things that may be the cause this:
-When i installed ML and did the firmware update it said it couldn't find any update.
-I set the fps override to 65fps
-Directly after the above step, under the FPS Override category i was switching between Accurate fps, 180d no yello effect (or whatever it was called) etc.

that happen to me once.

i just pulled of the battery and charge it 100%
then donĀ“t enter sd card
and turn on the camera on other than manual mode. like program or auto etc.
turn in off and move the dial to manual and turn it on

format the sd card and install ml again.

demetrisag

I said on an earlier post that raw silent pictures seems to have to much noise on high ISO, (other than the pink dots known bug) Here is an example. The first picture is  from ML Silent pic ISO 1600

And this picture is not even a raw! this is jpeg on Small Size from the canon menu, ISO 1600 also

There is absolutely no proccesing or whatsoever on each picture. Is it normal?

OpenMind

Quote from: demetrisag on June 18, 2013, 10:00:05 PM
I said on an earlier post that raw silent pictures seems to have to much noise on high ISO, (other than the pink dots known bug) Here is an example. The first picture is  from ML Silent pic ISO 1600
(image)
And this picture is not even a raw! this is jpeg on Small Size from the canon menu, ISO 1600 also

(image)

Besides a lot of noise in the first image, I see some aliasing and last but not least, compressed vertical dimensions...
Canon: 5Dc, 650D. EF 24-105mm f/4L IS, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 1.4x II, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye, 40mm f2.8 STM, 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX, Sigma: 12-24mm f4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM

demetrisag

Quote from: OpenMind on June 18, 2013, 10:26:43 PM
Besides a lot of noise in the first image, I see some aliasing and last but not least, compressed vertical dimensions...

Yeah for some reason the ML raw as it comes out of the card its dimensions are way to streched so I had to compress it to make it look a little natural.

donjames150

Quote from: demetrisag on June 18, 2013, 10:00:05 PM

I think it's normal for the amount of light in the room
EOS 760D + 55-250mm + Tokina 11-16mm

brewerrj

I saw that there was a firmware update for the camera that fixes some stuff in combination with 18-135 STM lens. I am having some problems with this lens. A lot of Focus problems and sometimes it says that there is no lens connected to the camera. Am I the only one with these problems?

donjames150

Quote from: brewerrj on June 19, 2013, 12:28:02 AM
I saw that there was a firmware update for the camera that fixes some stuff in combination with 18-135 STM lens. I am having some problems with this lens. A lot of Focus problems and sometimes it says that there is no lens connected to the camera. Am I the only one with these problems?

the admin for development for the 650D has said that magic lantern won't run with the canon firmware update at this point, so it's a take your choice for the time being

1ricca

Quote from: brewerrj on June 19, 2013, 12:28:02 AM

AF just sucks all around with this camera, but check the previous page or somewhere in this thread to see a list of official fixes. I don't think AF had anything to do with it, it's just bad on the 650D.

dngrhm

Quote from: donjames150 on June 19, 2013, 12:17:29 AM
I think it's normal for the amount of light in the room
demetrisag, With RAW it is easier to Expose To The Right (ETTR) You may have to reduce the exposure/brightness, but this will kill the noise at the same time.

There are several commits for Auto-ETTR I think for that very purpose.

If you are comparing the silent pic for a higher quality than what you can get from standard Canon firmware, you will likely be disappointed.  The positive is a silent pic.  This works extremely well for time lapse where you are taking LOTS of pictures and are going to put them in a video.
EOS 650D + 620 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM + 55-250mm f/4-5.6 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Mac OS 10.9 | PinkDotRemoval Tool | RAWMagic | DaVinci Resolve | FCP X

Sandsnor

Quote from: dngrhm on June 18, 2013, 12:17:28 AM
No red SD card LED lighting up?
Have you touched the 1.0.4 firmware update from Canon?
You downloaded the Satriani build today?
What platform is your host (Win, Mac, Linux)?

No light.
I didn't touch 1.0.4 firmware update from Canon.
Used ML_N_17.06.2013 when the muddle started, now I'm not even using a sd card to make sure ML isn't badly configured.
I use win7x64 as host(?).

What will press & holding the set button actually do?

Quote from: donjames150 on June 18, 2013, 04:36:37 PM
If you don't have a 2nd battery, I would go to Best Buy or somewhere and get one, that would rule out
that possibility. Radio Shack has them for $22. Lenmar LP-E8

I will definitely not get another battery if that implies going to another tectonic plate. But i've heard there should be at least one more Canon battery in the eurasian plate.

dngrhm

Quote from: Sandsnor on June 19, 2013, 01:43:31 AM
No light.

No light = not good
Unless it is simply that your battery died, this will need help from higher powers (a1ex or nanomad) :(

Holding the set button on startup prevents ML from loading. You can start your camera with your ML card in without running ML.  I was able to do this and low level format the card.  I was seeing the red LED though when I put the SD card in the camera.
EOS 650D + 620 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM + 55-250mm f/4-5.6 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Mac OS 10.9 | PinkDotRemoval Tool | RAWMagic | DaVinci Resolve | FCP X

foorgol

If you do use Rawtherapee, use version 3, version 4 kept crashing on me with Win7

The latest version 4.0.11 runs smoothly here on my Linux box... :)

(SCNR, no flamewar intended)

First I was shocked, because there were still loooots of dots in the video. Then I found out that you made a before-after-comparison :)

Nice!

demetrisag

Thanks for the answers people on my raw question :)

Now I was wondering, when I take a silent pic on photo mode it is way different than movie mode. And that is without Rec_raw activated.

To explain the resolution on photo mode is 1734*695 and the pictures looks really streeetched! Aspect ration is all sorts of wrong, whereas on movie mode the resolution is 1734*1158 and the pictures looks fine. Is this a bug? Or do I need to do something when I take silend pics on photo mode?

And I believe all the noise I get on silent pic is a kind of bug. I just tested taking a picture on Iso 100, shutter speed 1/6 (indoor picture) on a tripod. And the pic still has noise just like iso 1600! Though whats wierd when I take outdoor picture naturally shutter speed goes way faster. There is no noise. But Iso is always 100. I also tested outdoor picture 1600 iso with extremely high shutter speed and no noise either.

It's almost as if noise on silent pic is relevant to shutter rather than iso. The slower the shutter speed the more noise you have?

a1ex

If you don't understand how ExpSim works, that does not count as a ML bug. If LiveView refreshes 30 (or 60?) times per second, how can it have the same brightness as a 1/6-second exposure? Obviously, by bumping ISO to astronomical values.

This is why I said so many times that you should not record video in photo mode (and nobody believed me).

Only in movie mode, the exposure values displayed on the screen are the same values used for silent pics.

And even there, the downsampling process (line skipping) increases the noise, compared to a regular picture. Plus, you were comparing a raw to a jpeg (raw unprocessed and jpeg with noise reduction applied).

demetrisag

Quote from: a1ex on June 19, 2013, 11:44:18 AM
If you don't understand how ExpSim works, that does not count as a ML bug. If LiveView refreshes 30 (or 60?) times per second, how can it have the same brightness as a 1/6-second exposure? Obviously, by bumping ISO to astronomical values.

This is why I said so many times that you should not record video in photo mode (and nobody believed me).

Only in movie mode, the exposure values displayed on the screen are the same values used for silent pics.

And even there, the downsampling process (line skipping) increases the noise, compared to a regular picture. Plus, you were comparing a raw to a jpeg (raw unprocessed and jpeg with noise reduction applied).

Thanks for the reply Alex! I'm noob on those things but I'm learning slowly. I never realised liveview was so hard-connected to pics, I thought it was only just a preview. As for distorion I get on pictures on photo mode, can you help me on that?

foorgol

Quote from: demetrisag on June 19, 2013, 11:50:02 AM
As for distorion I get on pictures on photo mode, can you help me on that?

Eeeehm... you run $FAVORITE_IMAGE_EDITOR and correct the aspect ratio to 3:2???

If you're looking for something to batch-resize a huge number of pictures, I can recommend ImageMagick (http://www.imagemagick.org)

donjames150

Quote from: Sandsnor on June 19, 2013, 01:43:31 AM
No light.
I didn't touch 1.0.4 firmware update from Canon.
Used ML_N_17.06.2013 when the muddle started, now I'm not even using a sd card to make sure ML isn't badly configured.
I use win7x64 as host(?).

The light only flashes when there's an SD card in your camera. If I take my card out
and don't close the SD door and turn the camera on, I get nothing. With the card still out,
and the SD door closed, then I get a screen that says "no card in camera", then the usual
M, shutter speed, fstop #, ISO, etc screen.

blade

Quote from: donjames150 on June 19, 2013, 03:49:56 PM
Using a non-ML card, ML still loads because I
updated the firmware with ML. Just not the latest Satriani build, I need a card with the latest
autoexec.bin and ML folder for that.

Do you mean that if you insert an sd without ml, you still booth ml?
eos400D :: eos650D  :: Sigma 18-200 :: Canon 100mm macro

donjames150

Quote from: blade on June 19, 2013, 07:03:11 PM
Do you mean that if you insert an sd without ml, you still booth ml?

Sorry, that was a mistake. I didn't think I put ML on any other card but my 2 Sandisk Extremes. But I did. So no, you have
to have ML on the card.

kazeone

to update ML I just replace the existing files with a newer builds filer and Im good to go or do I need to repeat some steps?

donjames150

Quote from: kazeone on June 19, 2013, 07:59:14 PM
to update ML I just replace the existing files with a newer builds filer and Im good to go or do I need to repeat some steps?

yes, replace the autoexec.bin and the ML folder

brewerrj

Is there any progress in sound menu & sound meters in live view? I am desperately waiting for the second one!

Sergioam

Quote from: brewerrj on June 20, 2013, 01:26:20 AM
Is there any progress in sound menu & sound meters in live view? I am desperately waiting for the second one!

me too!
Caracas, Venezuela

satriani

Hey guys,
I'm afraid we'll skip today's build, because that caused a black screen at least for me, when you go into the Module section in ML menu.
Better safe than sorry  :)
Cameras: Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 650D
Lenses: 2x CanonEF-S 18-135 IS STM, Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG HSM Art
Daily builds