Bolt trigger module test results (bolt_rec.mo)

Started by dlrpgmsvc, June 09, 2013, 12:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

On 600D for some reason I get a memory error even though I can load the other modules fine and the bin just went down by like 100K.

g3gg0

Quote from: Kim.dh on June 15, 2013, 08:14:34 PM
Mk, sorry for asking this (I am on a bad laptop on an expensive gprs connection or I would attempt it myself);
My build (v2.3 NEXT Jun 3rd for 550d) is unable to load the bolt module you linked (error: OldAPI Wrong version v1.3, expected 1.2).

If it wont take you too long and it is possible, could you compile it for v1.3? Thanks in advance.

you have an old ML core, the plugin is newer
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

mk11174

Quote from: g3gg0 on June 15, 2013, 05:53:58 PM
can you tell me your setup?

parameters and the time between flashes that caused the problems you described.
I used the latest source from main repository to try your pre buffer version, all fresh and new source download, no changes to it other than adding my user file to main folder to make sure it was clean.

I compiled with pre made toolchain, I made the files in bolt_rec and raw_rec then compiled for my 550D

I thin set my camera to movie mode 1920x1080x30fps in canon menu, I then set bolt trigger to all your default settings first to try it and turn on raw rec with all its default settings and set up an A/C flash bulb, and I aim it at a grey wall so I get better spread like a sky, then I set my cam up 6 feet away and aim it at the wall.

I then start record and all seemed fine, I then fire the flash by remote, it sets off 1 single burst,  and it detects it and records like it should, I then press record to stop and extract my RAW file to DNGs and never see the flash, its always frames before the flash and after that show, always misses the flash.

I tried with changing post frames from 10 to 5, 5 to 0, and still same results.

I tried switching to differ movie mode in Canon menu, I tried photo mode, I tried using differ preview mode in raw_rec, all same results.

The only one that records the flash and post frames is the one from the code I sent you that I changed a bit. No pre buffer either of coarse but at least the flash.

Maybe 550D handles it differ then your camera?  :-\
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

mk11174

Quote from: Kim.dh on June 15, 2013, 08:14:34 PM
Mk, sorry for asking this (I am on a bad laptop on an expensive gprs connection or I would attempt it myself);
My build (v2.3 NEXT Jun 3rd for 550d) is unable to load the bolt module you linked (error: OldAPI Wrong version v1.3, expected 1.2).

If it wont take you too long and it is possible, could you compile it for v1.3? Thanks in advance.
Since your on 550D I can hook you up with my bin and modules that will work on your camera?

mk11174

Quote from: 1% on June 15, 2013, 08:20:58 PM
On 600D for some reason I get a memory error even though I can load the other modules fine and the bin just went down by like 100K.
Here too occasionally I get memory.c error on first boot then restart it works fine, or if I try autoload, but if I dont use autoload no memory crash, or if I dont try to load to many modules, just raw_rec and bolt_rec, if I add more modules like file_man and pic_view then memory issues happen for sure.

This happens on any of the builds though so it might just be to many modules runs out of memory may not have anything to do with bolt_rec at all.

g3gg0

can you compile the whole ML from there?
https://bitbucket.org/g3gg0/magic-lantern

including these modules: trace, bolt_rec, raw_rec
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

1%

Will have to try that and only bolt_rec + raw_rec again. Before I just tried the 2 and still had a memory error. If I load file man and crew + raw rec I still have 1MB free.

mk11174

OK, will try compile.

I really like the trigger I am using now, it works very nice even though no pre buffer, but for pre buffer if I want that I just use Silent Picture with End Trigger option, that is perfect for me now to because I changed code in shoot.c so I dont have to hold the half shutter anymore plus I made a half shutter remote, now just 1 tap on my hand remote starts capturing buffer, when I see a bolt I just do 1 more tap and all my buffer frames get saved to card, pre - main flash, and post, and shows a preview so you can see your bolt, very nifty.

But the bolt trigger is nice when you cant be at camera, so good to have both options.

And make note: anyone else, Alex made changes to ML Shutter this morning we now don't get close enough to 360 degrees anymore so this brings your chances down alot leaving you with a blank gap during flashes because of rolling shutter, no way to connect images if they get split onto 2 frames, so build older or makes changes getting rid of his changes if you want success.

g3gg0

Quote from: 1% on June 15, 2013, 10:21:01 PM
Will have to try that and only bolt_rec + raw_rec again. Before I just tried the 2 and still had a memory error. If I load file man and crew + raw rec I still have 1MB free.

#define MAX_SCANLINES 20
#define MAX_WIDTH     6000

bolt_rec reserves 20*6000*2 bytes (240k) for storing the scan lines that it is going to subtract.
you can reduce MAX_SCANLINES to e.g. 5 or so.

mk11174

Quote from: g3gg0 on June 15, 2013, 10:18:07 PM
can you compile the whole ML from there?
https://bitbucket.org/g3gg0/magic-lantern

including these modules: trace, bolt_rec, raw_rec
Ok straight compile from your source, same exact results, after 4 single burst which I do only when I see the frames are finished saving from the text I see on screen, after 4 saves the 5th one starts a continuous record all by itself, and in the end, no flashes were captured still, I tried same changes in settings as I replied before, still no luck. 550D must just not be any good for this setup.

mk11174

Quote from: g3gg0 on June 15, 2013, 10:35:07 PM

#define MAX_SCANLINES 20
#define MAX_WIDTH     6000

bolt_rec reserves 20*6000*2 bytes (240k) for storing the scan lines that it is going to subtract.
you can reduce MAX_SCANLINES to e.g. 5 or so.
good to know!  ;)

And 5 is a good number to use to covers all ranges of sky nicely whether it is crawler or cg.

And I noticed you to have the latest shutter speed change, in your source you dont get the 359 and 360 shutter anymore, this will make most of your flashes with a fat gap from the rolling shutter.

g3gg0

can you check your cards root dir? there is a bolt_rec.log file  -> upload.g3gg0.de

mk11174

Quote from: g3gg0 on June 15, 2013, 10:51:34 PM
can you check your cards root dir? there is a bolt_rec.log file  -> upload.g3gg0.de
I checked every folder and shown hidden one just in case, no log file?

I am getting a Failed to prepare Config error when I load modules, but all loaded still? Never saw this error on other compiles?

By the way, I wiped card before compiling this build to card, so it is all fresh.

g3gg0

the log was only written on 5D3 due to me forgetting to specify drive letter.
i fixed that bugs. just recompile.

(that error message is due missing xml_cfg module that is for loading/saving module config into presets etc)

mk11174

This is what you will get if your images get split with Alex's new changes to the shutter, no way to fix them, so you have to hope for a flash to happen on a good time of the scan of the rolling shutter.

So just keep in mind.

This was taking with silent picture method by the way.

And ok g3g I will try new build.

mk11174

Quote from: g3gg0 on June 15, 2013, 11:04:40 PM
the log was only written on 5D3 due to me forgetting to specify drive letter.
i fixed that bugs. just recompile.

(that error message is due missing xml_cfg module that is for loading/saving module config into presets etc)
Got got source again, still no log file?

This is what my code says now, maybe has to be differ for sd cards?

char file[64];
    sprintf(file, "%sbolt_rec.log", MODULE_CARD_DRIVE);
    bolt_rec_trace_ctx = trace_start("bolt_rec", file);

trace_format(bolt_rec_trace_ctx, TRACE_FMT_TIME_REL, TRACE_SEPARATOR_DEFAULT);

By the way, I am only getting 3 flashes off then it starts recording all by itself, and of coarse no flash frame saved.

Kim.dh

Quote from: mk11174 on June 15, 2013, 10:11:15 PM
Since your on 550D I can hook you up with my bin and modules that will work on your camera?
Yes please =) The one I am using now is giving me the best results with raw video, hopefully yours is comparable.

mk11174

Quote from: Kim.dh on June 15, 2013, 11:37:49 PM
Yes please =) The one I am using now is giving me the best results with raw video, hopefully yours is comparable.
are u using Magic or Tragic for raw rec? Are you compiling yourself, if so are you using latest source from bitbucket, mine is all updated to this morning.

Kim.dh

Quote from: mk11174 on June 16, 2013, 12:27:54 AM
are u using Magic or Tragic for raw rec? Are you compiling yourself, if so are you using latest source from bitbucket, mine is all updated to this morning.

I am using the June 3rd Unified (Magic) with file manager you posted on the 550d thread, unfortunately I am at the summer house on an expensive connection so I am not going to set up what I need for compiling a build before I get home in a week. But don't worry about wasting your time on me unless you have already uploaded a build.

Thanks!

mk11174

For 550D only!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fajdpkvuwqu8mn7/ML_Bolt_June_15_2013.zip

This is the version I am using, it is up to date with main repository all except I went back and got rid of Alex's changes to the shutter speed so we can have 359 degree close as we can to 360 for our lightning bolts.

This is the bolt trigger I use so it is the one with my changes, hope that is ok because the pre buffer one does not work on our cam as of now.

I have a few modules load, but dont set them to auto load, manually load them at start to minimize crash, I have not tweak the scanline define yet in the trigger yet to free some mem up, but if it crashes first time you load, just restart cam should work fine after that.

If you are going for lightning I would recommend using settings I mentioned earlier in the thread or you will have bad missing parts of your image during the main flash do to rolling shutter.

This was compiled also with the Magic Raw, not as many features as Tragic Raw but more stable for me. You can try adding the tragic.mo to modules folder to see if it still works if that is the one you use.

Oh, also includes my change to Silent Picture end trigger so you dont have to hold half shutter, you just press once, it will capture buffer then when you see a flash just press again and it will record the DNG files with preview. I use this when I can be at the camera, other then that I use the Bolt Trigger.

It is called My Tigger in this build only cause at a time I had both the original and mine loaded at same time to test so I had to give differ name.

g3gg0

can you retry the latest version and send me the log if its there?

g3gg0

Quote from: mk11174 on June 16, 2013, 01:17:48 AMI went back and got rid of Alex's changes to the shutter speed so we can have 359 degree close as we can to 360 for our lightning bolts.

which changeset do you talk about? can you link it or name me the hash?

mk11174

mk11174

Quote from: g3gg0 on June 16, 2013, 01:34:38 AM
can you retry the latest version and send me the log if its there?
K after 9 detections it had mind of its own and no flashes captured.
I upped log file.
http://upload.g3gg0.de/pub_files/92ba3fe9e6c04f956ff57700d8f44746/BOLT_REC.LOG

Kim.dh

Thanks alot Mk! I didn't find the post you mentioned with the settings,  but I assume you mean that I should set fps override to shutter speeds that is integer fractions/multiples of 360. So:

-In video mode (I don't have 1080p@30 fps available, so ill try 25 and 24)
-Shutter speed=360*x=Z
-RAW video and my trigger modules set to ON.
-point camera at storm

How is the reaction time compared to "Motion Detect"? I found I only got 1 bolt out of 10 using this.