Bolt trigger module test results (bolt_rec.mo)

Started by dlrpgmsvc, June 09, 2013, 12:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canon eos m

Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Hey

Hi mk, you said bolt_raw was working on the 500D so I wanted to give it a try. A few test showed that it worked great, although now I'm stuck with a "cropmark" and can't for the life of me get rid of it. Pretty sure it has to do with the resolution thingie, but even after booting without it and playing with the settings it's still there... Any idea ?

Thanks!

mk11174

Quote from: Hey on August 12, 2014, 11:59:11 PM
Hi mk, you said bolt_raw was working on the 500D so I wanted to give it a try. A few test showed that it worked great, although now I'm stuck with a "cropmark" and can't for the life of me get rid of it. Pretty sure it has to do with the resolution thingie, but even after booting without it and playing with the settings it's still there... Any idea ?

Thanks!
Hmm, Not sure why theres a cropmark, the code doesnt have any cropmark code in it for the trigger. Maybe pull batter and card out, then put batter in without card, turn cam on into movie mode then clear camera setting from camera menu, turn cam off and try ML again and see if it helps, might be smart to delete the MAGIC.CFG file in the ML/settings folder on the card to get all default settings again.

The 500D is the one cam I have that I dont use the trigger on, it never had good results, especially when the pictures get split from the scanning.
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

Hey

Alright, I'm a moron; these were from the native video resolution from canon, but for some reason they were still there in photo mode... Anyway thanks for your help and the fast reply!

mk11174

Can someone with a 5D2 please quickly test the bolt trigger for me, my friend uses the very first version of bolt_raw I put together with the old old ML and it works just fine, but for some reason with the new version of ML he says he gets scrambled images??? It works fine on all my cameras except on my t5i if I try to record  at 5x mode and I choose the max res and aspect it lets me I get the same garbled images and alls I have to do is choose the next size down and they come out fine.

My friend is much older and really is not the tester type at all, so I was hoping someone can load it up and try it at max res and aspect and see if its garbled then maybe try next size down? Or just some kind of look over and see when the garbled images happen so maybe I can track the issue down for him?

The build is from the fullres source only because that is the one I mostly am compiling from these days myself.

Maybe you can also try the module on the nightly and see if that is all it is?

I only included the 2 modules needed, bolt_rec and mlv_play which is needed for the preview of the clips after you record them.

Just test it on anything that makes it capture some frames and see if they are garbled.

Thanks in advanced.

https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2014Aug22.5D2212.zip

UPDATE: LOL, I actually figured it out, so no need to test, I just copied all the resolution and cropmark coding to the bolt trigger and all is working with the correct max resolutions figured by the code!

mk11174

Here is the updated version of bolt_raw. Has all the resolution code from the latest raw_rec so more compatible when doing 5x or crop modes.

Added Rel trigger back in as a 2nd option.

Only thing it really does not have is the SRM and SLOTS for buffering, but we are only capturing 1 frame at a time, so the old method is just fine for this. But if I knew how to convert the code to SRM and SLOT buffering, I would just to have it fully up to date.

Only thing is menu clutter for the trigger menu, but will work on it.

Ideas for the menu organizing is welcome.  :)

https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/magic-lantern/downloads/bolt_raw.mo

mk11174

Updated the bolt_raw source in case anyone needs it, much cleaner and easier to figure out what I did with the 2 modules.

https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/magic-lantern/downloads/bolt_raw_source.zip

mk11174

Did another update the the bolt trigger which helps expose the scene better when you turn on the auto expose feature.

The older one used the trigger data to adjust and detect, now I have them doing there own thing and works much better.

Also added some options to tweak the colors of the graphs.

Sucks the lightning season is almost at its end here in Florida  :'(

https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/magic-lantern/downloads/bolt_raw.mo

mk11174

Had a typo in the timelapse code which caused a recording loop which I found out today during a storm of course. But I fixed and tested it and working fine now.

Use links above for module and source.

mk11174

Ottoga

Links to buf_raw and buf_bolt appear to be broken.

I still keep one CF card with TL installed on it so it would be nice to be able compare this to bolt_raw.
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

beanz

Is this still being developed or has the motion detect taken over? If it is, Will the 7D be included. I've tried to run it on my 7D which runs but has bugs.

Walter Schulz

It takes bug reports to get rid of bugs. So, please ...

Sapporo

The bug in the 7D is that it will trigger no matter what. Last year when I tried it out it worked, but today when I try again, it trigger all the time. Trigger value 6000, it trigger. Trigger value 2000, it trigger.

StormCapture

Hi Guys, newbie here from Down Under in Australia.

First thing I'll say is WOW to those awesome lightning shots, rippers they are. How do you get the shots to look like that? All this is new to me and as a keen weather enthusiest this would be a very handy module to understand and use.

I have just recently put this module on as I bumped into it a few days ago and was thinking that this may be useful to have, I am going to test it out on Thursday as we do have the chance of storms from mid arvo.

How do you view these on a computer to save the best shots? I've looked and found some software on other forums but when I download it my anti-virus decides to remove it and I tell it to restore it but continues to, found another one but kept crashing.
Any sort of help would be appreciated as I use a Lightning trigger and has a nasty habit of triggering off false images.

PetrLiv

Hello, I've been thinking for a long time about the best way to shoot lightning with ML, until I came across this module. So I wanted to download it to my Canon 550D, but I found out that it probably won't work anymore. It gave me a bad version warning (v1.3, v6.0 expected). Could someone help me get it working?
Thank you all for help!

names_are_hard

You are replying to a seven year old thread - impressive!

The source for this module might not be available anymore.

Have you tried using the built in Motion Detection feature?  This has been used before to capture lightning strikes.
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16572.0

PetrLiv

Yes, I've tried this, but I'm not sure, if it's fast enough. As I tested it, in normal RAW mode is reaction time something around 250ms. I thought, that silent picture would be faster, but it took around 450ms (I've tried different settings).