Cameras with custom mode dial - bigger buffers - better raw recording

Started by Lukasz, June 06, 2013, 02:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lukasz

I thought everybody knew it but it appears that this is not the case. Also maybe You could help me I found it in search of perfect settings because I get only 55MB/s on my lexar 64gb 1000x card with everything turned off!?

Picture just to confirm my words, it appears not to work for everybody!

danielcreed

Confirmed here ! I get twice the nr of frames now at unstable resolutions :)

funny enough i get about the same speed on my 8gb Sandisk 60mb/s

54mb/s average

Lukasz

Quote from: danielcreed on June 06, 2013, 02:48:25 PM
Confirmed here ! I get twice the nr of frames now at unstable resolutions :)

funny enough i get about the same speed on my 8gb Sandisk 60mb/s

54mb/s average

Just hoping I forgot about something simple.

Clemens

Africashot

Same here, can't replicate. Same amount of frames, +- 400 1880x840 on a 60mbs SanDisk card...
ML 5D2 & T3i

Lukasz

olik

Am i doing sth wrong, when I go to a custom preset I can not switch on LV.
(never used custom presets before)

Lukasz

Quote from: olik on June 06, 2013, 04:17:26 PM
Am i doing sth wrong, when I go to a custom preset I can not switch on LV.
(never used custom presets before)

You have to go to canon menu and turn live view on.

seanturco

I did some test !

I have the best result when I switch the button on/off to the middle !

mvejerslev

I find it hard to quantify these results. When I first tried to go to Custom mode, I got 400 more frames, but when repeating the test, now I get 200 more in M mode than in custom mode. Setting the on/off switch to middle setting is the same. I dont think any of this actually makes a difference. At least to me. What matters more is the write block size (which varies randomly?) and card formatting.
5D Mark II, PC

seanturco

Quote from: mvejerslev on June 06, 2013, 04:32:38 PM
I find it hard to quantify these results. When I first tried to go to Custom mode, I got 400 more frames, but when repeating the test, now I get 200 more in M mode than in custom mode. Setting the on/off switch to middle setting is the same. I dont think any of this actually makes a difference. At least to me. What matters more is the write block size (which varies randomly?) and card formatting.
Yes i think you agree ! It's randomness...

Lukasz

Quote from: seanturco on June 06, 2013, 04:37:44 PM
Yes i think you agree ! It's randomness...

Buffer size at the top does not show up randomlly, does it?

1%

Check in memory viewer and you'll see what happens.. its in debug menu, open it up.

Lukasz

Quote from: 1% on June 06, 2013, 04:47:03 PM
Check in memory viewer and you'll see what happens.. its in debug menu, open it up.

You mean this one?

1%

No, thats edmac... try the one that shows 400+2000 or something like that.

seanturco

We see what happen during recording or when we switch button ?  :o (french newbie spotted )

Lukasz

fatpig

so what do I have to do?

- install RAW module
- switch mode to C1

thats it?? :)

bronson

@fatpig,

Yes..
Just have a look in your canon menu to enable LV+video and some other options.
After that, don't forget to save your user profile.
I just gain 80 Mo in memory (183 Mo in M mode versus 259Mo with c1)

I have trancend 1000x 32 Gb, but i randomly record between 50-65Mo/s
50Mo/s on an empty card and 65 after several takes.. :-\

olik

I did a first test with it, and I can also record about 1/3d longer. I have not checked the footage on the computer yet. Maybe this custom settings switches some internal canon processes off? Might be interesting to investigate a little further into it.

Audionut

1%

I get no extra love from C modes... but there is a better reason to use them... easy safety net for your camera. You can clear out C modes much easier if there is a problem like constant error 70, etc.

Lukasz

Quote from: 1% on June 07, 2013, 03:21:11 PM
I get no extra love from C modes... but there is a better reason to use them... easy safety net for your camera. You can clear out C modes much easier if there is a problem like constant error 70, etc.

Is there any chance You could share some settings, steps to free up some memory to maximize buffer MB/s? I saw that on the 5d3 topic about it You pointed out few hints.

AnotherDave

The C Mode actually made no difference on the 5D3.  My buffer was lower (<**> not <****>) because my camera was set to Multi Burst mode for stills.  I changed the still mode to single shot, and the size of my buffer increased in M mode.

1%

Well on 5d3 I guess you'd just use a1ex's hack at this point and have quality raw (no high nr/correction/etc).

I can use continuous shooting on 6D with no issues.

I'd change canon settings and look in the memory viewer and see if your total shoot_malloc goes up and if you have any blue blocks, etc.

6D is either 6X32 or 7x32 depending on which way you want to shoot. 5D3 should be equivalent or larger... to use the 7x32 trick you'd need some code changes and maybe a patch... as there is no wifi not much benefit to photo mode.