14 bit Magic Lantern RAW video (and RAW HDR video) on 5D2

Started by Africashot, June 02, 2013, 07:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Africashot

Here it is, the first completed project in Magic Lantern RAW on our trusty 5D2. While everyone is saying the alpha of the hack should be used with precaution and not for serious work, it was just too hard to resist.
The workflow is labor intensive but has it's very own charm, as the only CF card capable of at least some RAW recording we currently own is a SanDisk 16GB 60/mbs we basically had to be dumping the footage after every 4.3 minutes we recorded onto a Laptop (+- 15 minutes to download the files, changing film reels must have been faster...). We shot everything in 1880 or 1720 horizontal resolution and the 2.35:1 aspect ratio, graded in ACR, upscaled to 1920 in AE and rendered into cineform with a subtle layer of fine 35mm film grain for a more organic look (gorilla grain if anyone cares), it took forever to get it all down to a managable size in the cineform codec but it made the editing experience so much better then with traditional h.264.
The bathroom scene required even more dynamic range then the 14 bit DNG's could provide and gave us the chance to test the Magic Lantern HDR video function in RAW mode, surprisingly the SNS HDR workflow introduced quite a bit of flicker (some of it even completely withstanding the Sapphire flicker remove filter) while it normally renders almost flicker free results of whatever you throw at it (even Day to night timelapses shot in AV mode...)
Big thanks to all ML developers
ML 5D2 & T3i

N/A

7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

mino.rimada

I envy you...5Dm2 in a great place to shoot...it looks so beautiful

To me, there are two shots that tell me everything about what to expect from the 5D...

1.-The shot of the SUV on the road where you can see it coming from left to right
2.-The bathroom scene

What lenses did you use?...and all the info you provided is great as it comes from a real job.

I´ve been doing some tests with my 5D, I´m used to a fast workflow when doing corporate and commercial productions, but shooting RAW, its like finding the girl of your dreams...every minute spent on it its totally worthy

Great job...

reddeercity

I was interested to see how Good the Quality of Raw is from the 5D Mark ii.
I Captured 1880 x 854 24p in Raw, each frame was 2.75 MB .
Then on my over clocked amd-fx pc with 2 GPU's , imported the DNG's to Photoshop.
Used the "Scripts - Image Processor" on drop down tab, change the frame size  from 1880x854 to 4096x1861 .
i maintained  the raw data and kept the dpi @ 240 same as the orginal file with only
basic Color & white balance , used  my custum LUT i built that's closely resembles
technical color cinestyle.
Then exported to 4K 16 bit Tiff  image sequence , import in to
Adobe After Effect on my MacPro
export to ProRes4444 16 bit 4K file  @ 720Mb/s, open up FinalCut Pro x
set the Project to 4K (4096x2048 2.20:1) edited & Color Grade.
sent the fcpxml to apple compressor to encode a 4K mp4.
By sending the fpcxml to compresser i side step one process
to maintain the Image Quality without adding any compression, noise or artifacts.

Jugde for yourself , i didn't spend a lot of time grading as much as a could,
i should have spent more time working on the shadows etc....
My conclusion is that i do belive it could pass for 4K with a lot more work.
Would i do this just to have 4K materal ?
No, but if you need "B-roll"  to match some 4K  footage  from a Red  or C 500,
i think it would pass. No doubt you can upscade to 2K or even 2.5K
without any problems.
Thats just my opinion and what a have seen.

The Original file on the image quality  tab is the 4K mp4 i uploaded

thefix

I just read all the work you did to make this happen, sounds like a nightmare but your results are impressive! Thank you for testing this and all the work you put into sharing it with everyone! :)
600D

DerekDock

Looks great. The ability of RaW for showcasing properties and scenics is just astonding. Love the shot with the jeep on the road. I just finished shooting a slight HDR video for a real estate property and its looking awesome but I lost my first day due to corruption. Its def a risk using Raw for paid gigs but its too amazing not too! Going to be in a tropical setting next week in Hawaii and I'm planning on shooting some RAW goodness there too.
www.vimeo.com/leftcoastdigital
www.twitter.com/derekdock

sarotaz

Fantastic result. Just a bit long workflow but finally i can upsize to fullHD from continuos recording (960x540). Thanks for share.

vazertuche

Ok Here's my reply. Not sure why Vimeo link is not working but you can just copy and paste. Its my feedback for Reddeercity :)

Africashot

Hi Valentino,

Thanks for posting, although I didn't have the time to watch your 20 minute+ video I must say I have trouble understanding why you would post this in the first place, you are critiquing a video posted by reedercity well over half a year ago at the beginning of the RAW development and it is clearly a test video; what's the point? Check out the reedercity's profile and you'll see he has posted several hundreds of posts since making all this helping out completely obsolete; in any case I'd say you have posted this in the wrong place as it has llittle to do with the video I had opened this comment thread with. In any case thanks for your efforts.
ML 5D2 & T3i

reddeercity

I posted this 8 mouths ago tech changes, you need to focus
On the thing that count like the current state if MLV+Audio

dariSSight

Quote from: vazertuche on February 01, 2014, 04:04:07 AM
Ok Here's my reply. Not sure why Vimeo link is not working but you can just copy and paste. Its my feedback for Reddeercity :)

Thanks for this video, yourself and Reddeercity gives phenomenal advice. The information you guys give takes my production to competitive edge, but to my questions to this video.

1.Your saying take the .Raw or .MLV files.
2.Convert them to DNG files with RAWMagic or MLV converter.
3.Open the DNG files in Adobe Camera Raw and color correct them, then convert them to native resolution 16 bit Tiff files.
4.Open the 16 bit Tiff files as a Sequence in QuickTime 7, convert the Sequence to a Animation QuickTime .mov.
5.Place the Animation QuickTime .mov in Compressor with the setting you specify (I think that are awesome) and upconvert to 4K Animation QuickTime .mov files.
6. Edit in FCP X.

Is this the best space saving workflow for retaining image quality?
Canon 5D Mark II

dariSSight

Quote from: reddeercity on March 15, 2014, 06:36:19 PM
I posted this 8 mouths ago tech changes, you need to focus
On the thing that count like the current state if MLV+Audio

Always Thanks for your film production wisdom, what do you thinks about Valentino's workflow? What do you think is the best workflow to preserve image quality when up scaling to 2K or 4K?
Canon 5D Mark II

dariSSight

Quote from: Africashot on June 02, 2013, 07:36:01 PM

Here it is, the first completed project in Magic Lantern RAW on our trusty 5D2. While everyone is saying the alpha of the hack should be used with precaution and not for serious work, it was just too hard to resist.
The workflow is labor intensive but has it's very own charm, as the only CF card capable of at least some RAW recording we currently own is a SanDisk 16GB 60/mbs we basically had to be dumping the footage after every 4.3 minutes we recorded onto a Laptop (+- 15 minutes to download the files, changing film reels must have been faster...). We shot everything in 1880 or 1720 horizontal resolution and the 2.35:1 aspect ratio, graded in ACR, upscaled to 1920 in AE and rendered into cineform with a subtle layer of fine 35mm film grain for a more organic look (gorilla grain if anyone cares), it took forever to get it all down to a managable size in the cineform codec but it made the editing experience so much better then with traditional h.264.
The bathroom scene required even more dynamic range then the 14 bit DNG's could provide and gave us the chance to test the Magic Lantern HDR video function in RAW mode, surprisingly the SNS HDR workflow introduced quite a bit of flicker (some of it even completely withstanding the Sapphire flicker remove filter) while it normally renders almost flicker free results of whatever you throw at it (even Day to night timelapses shot in AV mode...)
Big thanks to all ML developers

Can you please give me a breakdown of your workflow and since there have been extreme progress with ML firmware update the workflow if you can. Thanks 
Canon 5D Mark II

reddeercity

Quote from: dariSSight on March 15, 2014, 10:55:07 PM
Always Thanks for your film production wisdom, what do you thinks about Valentino's workflow? What do you think is the best workflow to preserve image quality when up scaling to 2K or 4K?
OMG I Can believe how many steps he is going though !and with Known problem software, e.g. Quicktime Pro (bad gamma shift)
Anyways I will not waste my time with Valentino's workflow, Its very inefficient with poor results , but each to there own.
I made I new version of the 4k upscale tutorial below,  but even this one is outdated a little since I posted it 3 mouths ago.

And to be clear this is just testing and if it was to be use, only as  B-Roll and at that just a few seconds at best.
This Only Work with original Crop mode 2k files as there is no aliasing and moire to worry about and I would only
use DNG's not Cdng's because there is a small amount of gamma shift up I also made a short video documenting this below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCReH-sjr6E
There is so many ways to upscale so always keep your eyes & ears open to new ideas!

dariSSight

Quote from: reddeercity on March 16, 2014, 01:04:13 AM
OMG I Can believe how many steps he is going though !and with Known problem software, e.g. Quicktime Pro (bad gamma shift)
Anyways I will not waste my time with Valentino's workflow, Its very inefficient with poor results , but each to there own.
I made I new version of the 4k upscale tutorial below,  but even this one is outdated a little since I posted it 3 mouths ago.

And to be clear this is just testing and if it was to be use, only as  B-Roll and at that just a few seconds at best.
This Only Work with original Crop mode 2k files as there is no aliasing and moire to worry about and I would only
use DNG's not Cdng's because there is a small amount of gamma shift up I also made a short video documenting this below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCReH-sjr6E
There is so many ways to upscale so always keep your eyes & ears open to new ideas!

Is there an option for DNG or CDNG on Mac that doesn't shift gamma?
Canon 5D Mark II