How do disable Bootdisk flag on a 5D Mk III

Started by t0m, June 02, 2013, 02:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t0m

Hey there,
I've tryed the latest ML on my 5D mk III and now I wanted to disable the bootdisk flag to use my Eye-Fi Card again.
But all ways describing to disable the flag doesnt work with the 5D mk III.
When I go to the firmware update tab and run it, just the normal dialog appears, not the ML Screen where I can disable the flag.

Is there any way to disable the bootdisk flag on my 5D mk III?

Help please!

Audionut

Run a Canon firmware update (on the card with ML installed) to remove the bootflag.

a1ex

Audionut

So it would have to be done via EOScard/MacBoot?

The FAQ needs updating.

a1ex

I need to prepare a special FIR. Short answer: call("DisableBootDisk")

but you really have to double-check that you are not in LiveView (and people managed to go there during first install despite all my double-checks).

t0m

So, in fact, there is nothing I can do at the moment?

Or I don't understand your advice with the LiveView... Is there anything I can do myself now? Or just wait if there is a way?
Sorry, but I'm new into this ML stuff.

pumpkin

I also would be happy with a possibility to remove the bootflag.
But I've got another problem:
After installing ML on my 5D III for testing, I formatted my SD-card and updated to Firmware 1.2.1 because I had a shooting at the weekend.
I noticed that the camera took 2-3 seconds for starting, even if it was in standby during "auto power off" an I pressed the release button. First I thought the camera was turned off but I noticed that it was really slow at startup.
I'm not really sure if the bootflag is the problem but I think it could be possible that the camera takes some time searching for ML at SD-card.

But don't feel stressed, I can turn the "auto power off" off if necessary.

Cheers, Björn

scrax

I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Danne

Now I know why my camera is mr slomo when I start it ;). Takes about two seconds, pretty similar to my first digital slr, the eos 300D ;). But what the hey. It now has rawmovie capabilities instead. 

hjfilmspeed

Hopefully there will be and option in the future to disable boot disk. As much as I love ML i would also like the option to upgrade to public or stable versions of ML when there released.

t0m

jafa

Quote from: a1ex on June 02, 2013, 09:20:43 AM
I need to prepare a special FIR. Short answer: call("DisableBootDisk")

but you really have to double-check that you are not in LiveView (and people managed to go there during first install despite all my double-checks).

Could you expand some more on this subject , ive not as yet installed A3 on my 5d but I was close when I started to read speradic posts from people saying that they were unable to remove the bootflag on - part of the Ml install , is this due to an instalation error on their  part or is this part of the alpha which is being worked on ?

Cheers
Jafa

Kent

Maybe I'm totally out in the blue now. But A1ex and all the other guys are developing ML in their spare time, this means that they are doing this for fun and are dedicated to make something better with their own Canon equipment.
There is a lot of people that installs ML on their expensive cameras without reading the documentation that explains the risks. Why should the ML developers spend their spare time on people that are to lazy to read the documentation.
And I Believe that A1ex is giving a clue with his statement: Short answer: call("DisableBootDisk")
This call is to a function in the Canon firmware not to ML code, if you are scared, you can allways go to a Canon service center to reset the bootflag.
If you are a developer put this call into your own build of ML and you will reset the bootflag.
I have done it and it's works fine.
And remember, in the documentation it says in "RED" that you should be a Developer to run this version of ML and if you're not,, stay away.
5D3 , EF 100 2.8L Macro, EF 24-105 4L, EF 70-200 2.8L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 580 EX II's, RRS BH-55, Gitzo GT5532LS, Pixel King's, ZOOM H4N

nanomad

The thing is, we know what happens if you somehow manage to bypass the enable boot flag safety checks and corrupt the boot flag area. You'll have to re-flash canon stock firmware to go back to normality.

What we don't know is: what happens if the DisableBootDisk call fails on the 5D3?...Will a firmware upgrade fix it? Will it make the camera non-operational?

In the end, it's better safe than sorry.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Kent

Totally agree with nanomad, if you dont want to take a risk, please be patient and wait for a official ML release or go to your Canon service center to reset the bootflag , but remember your Camera's original functionality is not depending on the ML developers.
5D3 , EF 100 2.8L Macro, EF 24-105 4L, EF 70-200 2.8L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 580 EX II's, RRS BH-55, Gitzo GT5532LS, Pixel King's, ZOOM H4N

t0m

I can only talk for me, but it wasn't my intension to blame anyone!

It's only that I wan't to disable the bootflag and as there is obviously a function doing this (like in all other versions of ML over the time) I thought I can handle this. I failed, I learned. But I'm not able to call or implement that function on my own and I don't have the chance to easily go to a canon service.

It seams to be no big deal for a developer to disable the bootflag again as I read it here... that's what makes me asking... but i totally understand if it isn't risk free to implement or provide it.
If I have to be patient, no problem. It was my fault, that's fair.
I just wanted to ask if there is a soloution in near reach...

jkells

I'm in Tom's boat - I know I know, I'm sorry for being born. If anyone in here forgives me, I'll paypal them $20/hour to talk me through any of this over the phone.

Specifically, I had successfully installed the first version of the ML firmware that allows RAW video on my Mark III. I installed it correctly, and it was working well (most of the time). After a while, recording routinely jammed up after 30 frames and stopped. So I figured I'd try the latest version (yes the one that warned me a thousand times of the risks).

Stupidly, I trashed all files on the SD cards on which I had originally installed the first version of the firmware. I trashed them from my card reader/laptop, I reformatted them on the camera, probably did everything I'm not supposed to do. Somehow I managed to get to a point where all my SD cards, when inserted, cause the camera to remain dead when I switch the camera on. Only when I remove the SD card, turn on the camera, pop battery out and back in, do I get any juice. This is just to get the camera turned on, without an SD card in it. Shutting it back off, inserting an SD card, and turning it back on brings me back to a dead camera, and then I have to remove the SD again and repeat process - just to get it powered up.

Is there any way for me to get past this problem and to where I'm able to install and use the latest version of the ML RAW feature? Again, I'm a moron, I know, and I apologize for taking up space in this world. If anyone out here sympathizes or is even just willing to counsel me on this for $20/hour (or just name your price), I will be eternally grateful, give you my sister, kiss your feet, like your facebook fan page, whatever you want.

Danne

Try to format your cards on a computer. To Fat32. Should erase the bootflag on the cards and get everything to normal. Don,t think the bootflag on your camera will get disabled though.
Then do the same old procedure as before. Boot a card and put magic lantern on it. As always, at your own risk.
//D

jkells

This great guy from Youtube named Charlie helped me out. The issue has a lot to do with 32GB SD cards being too large for the firmware. I went out and purchased an 8GB SD card and lo and behold the install worked and the firmware is functioning properly. What a relief. Camera is turning on normally now, everything seems to be fine. Thanks for listening to me cry, everyone.

gybra

QuoteThis great guy from Youtube named Charlie helped me out. The issue has a lot to do with 32GB SD cards being too large for the firmware. I went out and purchased an 8GB SD card and lo and behold the install worked and the firmware is functioning properly. What a relief. Camera is turning on normally now, everything seems to be fine.

So were you able to remove ML fully? Will we be able to upgrade to a stable version once released? Thankyou for everything, love you guys!

rwh

Kicking myself for not noticing that the bootflag is not disablable, I guess I just got too excited by the prospect of ML on my 5d3.  Serves me right for using Charlie Locke and Dave Dugdale on YouTube as my documentation source as they didn't mention it.  Anyway, ML is awesome for video, I particularly wanted focus peaking because I find focusing a real pain. It's already looking amazingly polished on the 5d3.

The only problem this causes me is an increase in the restore-from-sleep time from .1s to 1s, which is a pain (as I'm mainly a stills shooter) but can be lived with (in the hopes that one day we'll be able to disable the boot flag).  That day has not yet come though, as far as I can tell.  The fact that you can enable/disable the boot flag on other cameras gives me hope. ;)

Steven

There definitely should be a warning in the threads for 5D3 that the camera boot up time changes if ML is installed!

ronl

From what I have read, currently, there is no way to disable the BootDisk flag on the 5Dmk3.  I am not sure if its currently under investigation either.  This delay at startup or restarting from sleep mode may not affect every 5Dmk3 user but I suspect it affects action shooters.  If you are shooting an event, and need to switch cards, you need to aware that the camera won't be responsive for at least 2 seconds after the card switch or if the camera went into sleep mode.

RenatoPhoto

Just dont use an SD card and the camera will be up very quickly without ML.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X